The signal is binned into time bins with a width ##δt##

In summary, the author is saying that the convolution result (fc(t)) is the average value of the function across the bin period and the sampling is done at 1 second intervals.
arcTomato
TL;DR Summary
The signal are binned into time bins with a width ##δt##
Hi all.I would like to know about "binning window".
This paper I'm reading says like this.
Why do "convolving the data with the ##b(t)## before the sampling" and "binning into time bins with a width ##δt##" have the same meaning?

スクリーンショット 2019-12-08 11.42.30.png

I know I'm addicted to post to PF 😅
But this forum is so meaningful for me, so please help me if you can!

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As an example, let's say that δt= 1 sec.
What it is saying is that the data is not being sampled at 1 second intervals.
Rather, each value is an proportional to the average data value across a 1-second interval.

The author is using a convolution to compute that average value across the bin period for each bit.

Thank you @.Scott !

That is the point I don't know why.
Why do convolution and computing the average value have same meaning??

It's not just any convolution, it's a convolution with the specific bin function they are using - combined with the sampling.
That bin function is zero over most of the range (-##\infty## to ##\infty##) and and N/T within T/2N of the sampling time. The result is that, the function that results from the convolution (fc(t)) will the integral all all data outside the bin multiplied by zero and all data within the bin multiplied by N/T. So that fc(t) generates a running average of the samples that land within a bin centered at time t.

What the author is saying is you are not sampling the original function, but this convolution result (fc(t)).

Last edited:
Likes arcTomato and WWGD
Thank you @.Scott !
Ok I think I got it.
so, is this right?
##\bar{a}{(t)}=\frac{1}{\delta t} \int_{t-\frac{1}{2 \delta{t}}}^{t+\frac{1}{2\delta{t}}} a{(\tau)} d \tau=\frac{N}{T} \int_{t-\frac{N}{2 T}}^{t+\frac{N}{2 T}} a{(\tau)}d \tau=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} a{(\tau)} b(t-\tau) d \tau=a{(t)}*b(t)##

Likes .Scott

1. What does it mean to bin a signal?

Binning a signal means dividing it into smaller, discrete time intervals called bins. This allows for easier analysis and interpretation of the data.

2. How is the width of the time bins determined?

The width of the time bins, represented by ##δt##, is typically determined by the researcher based on the specific needs and goals of the study. It can vary depending on the complexity and nature of the signal being analyzed.

3. Why is it important to bin a signal?

Binning a signal helps to reduce noise and make the data easier to interpret. It also allows for the identification of patterns and trends that may not have been visible in the original, continuous signal.

4. Can the width of the time bins be changed?

Yes, the width of the time bins can be adjusted depending on the needs of the study. However, it is important to note that changing the width can affect the results and should be done carefully and with consideration.

5. Are there any limitations to binning a signal?

Yes, there are some limitations to binning a signal. Binning can potentially lead to loss of information and may not accurately represent the original signal. It is important to carefully consider the binning process and its potential impact on the data before proceeding with analysis.