The slowing down of a Farady disc

In summary, the disc has a resistance measured between the brushes, the potential difference between the brushes is (15/32)ωBa2, and the time it takes for the disc to slow down to half its initial angular speed is given by:
Toby_phys

Homework Statement

A homopolar generator consists of a metal disc of radius ##a## and a central axle which has radius ##a/4##. The disc has resistivity ##\rho## and thickness ##t##. It is rotated in a uniform magnetic field ##B## about an axis through the centre, which is parallel to ##B## and perpendicular to the plane containing the disc, at an angular frequency ##\omega##. Thin ring brushes make good electrical contact with the disc near the axle and near the outer rim of the disc as shown.

(a) Calculate the resistance of the disc ##R_D## measured between the brushes.

(b) Show that the potential difference between the brushes is ##(15/32)ωBa2## .

(c) A load resistance ##R_L## is connected across the generator and the drive is removed. Show that, in the absence of mechanical friction, the time ##\tau## taken for the disc to slow down to half its initial angular speed is
$$\tau =( 32/15)^2 \frac{m(R_L + R_D) ln(2)}{ 2a^2B^2} $$.

Homework Equations

Inertia of a disc:
$$I=1/2 ma^2$$
Kinetic energy of rotating disc:
$$E=1/2 I\dot{\theta}^2$$
Electrical Power Dissipated:
$$ P=\frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{v^2}{R_l+R_D}=(\frac{15Ba^2}{32})^2\frac{\dot{\theta}^2}{R_l+R_D}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part (a) and (b) - its only part C I need:

Energy at full speed:
$$E_1=\frac{ma^2\omega^2}{4}$$
Energy at half speed:
$$E_2=\frac{ma^2\omega^2}{16}$$
Energy lost:
$$E_2-E_1=\frac{3}{16}ma^2\omega^2=\int^\tau_0pdt=(\frac{15Ba^2}{32})^2\int^\tau_0\frac{\dot{\theta}^2}{R_L+R_D}dt$$
Basically, how do I solve that integral? I know the start and end values of ##\dot{\theta}##/

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
To do the final integral, you would need to know how ##\dot{\theta}## depends on time.

You have an expression for the rate at which electrical energy is produced. Can you come up with an expression for the rate at which mechanical energy is lost? How are these two rates related?

Mechanical energy is lost at the same rate that energy is dissipated through the resistances.

I could go into forces and go right back to first principles but I feel that would be far too long

You don't need to go into forces. Just work with the electrical power and mechanical power.

I thought about that but I couldn't see how to do it

You already have an expression for the kinetic energy of the disk. Can you use that to obtain a general expression for the rate of change of the kinetic energy?

Yes, I think :)
$$\frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{15Ba^2}{32}^2\frac{\dot{\theta}^2}{R_l+R_d}=\frac{15Ba^2}{32}^2\frac{4E}{ma^2(R_l+R_d)}$$

Which is seperable.Edit - I have worked through it all and it works, thank you

OK. Good work.

Related to The slowing down of a Farady disc

1. What is a Faraday disc?

A Faraday disc is a type of electromagnetic generator that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of a rotating disc made of copper or other conducting material, placed between the poles of a strong magnet.

2. How does a Faraday disc work?

The rotation of the disc within the magnetic field induces a current in the disc, which can be collected by sliding contacts or brushes. This current can then be used to power electrical devices.

3. Why does a Faraday disc slow down?

A Faraday disc slows down due to the principle of conservation of energy. As the disc rotates, it creates a magnetic field that exerts a force on the disc, causing it to experience a resistance or drag. This resistance converts some of the kinetic energy of the disc into heat, causing it to slow down over time.

4. How can the slowing down of a Faraday disc be minimized?

The slowing down of a Faraday disc can be minimized by reducing the resistance or drag on the disc. This can be achieved by using stronger magnets, reducing the friction between the disc and the sliding contacts, or improving the aerodynamics of the disc.

5. What are the practical applications of a Faraday disc?

A Faraday disc has many practical applications, including power generation in small-scale renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators. It can also be used in electromagnetic brakes and clutches, as well as in some types of electric motors.