The smallest angle flashlight beam can make with horizontal

In summary, the question asks for the smallest angle at which a flashlight beam, shined from the top edge of a cylindrical tank with a missing fish, can illuminate the bottom of the tank. Using the equations tan(θ) = y/x and n1sinΘ = n2cosθ, the attempt at a solution involved drawing a picture of the tank and assuming that the light needs to hit the side of the tank at half of its height. However, it was determined that this assumption was incorrect and that there must be a minimum angle at which the light can reflect off the side of the tank and still illuminate the bottom. Without further information, it is not possible to solve for this minimum angle.
armxneo

Homework Statement

At the aquarium where you work, a fish has gone missing in a 10.5m -deep, 9.45m -diameter cylindrical tank. You shine a flashlight in from the top edge of the tank, hoping to see if the missing fish is on the bottom. What’s the smallest angle your flashlight beam can make with the horizontal if it’s to illuminate the bottom?

nwater=1.33 (Not sure if this is relevant)

Homework Equations

tan(θ)=y/x
n1sinΘ=n2cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew a picture of a cylinder with height 10.5 meters and 9.45 meters
I assume that in order to illuminate the bottom of the tank, the light needs to hit the side of the tank at half of it's height (if this is incorrect, then I am not sure how to determine where the light hits the side of the tank)

At height 10.5/2= 5.25 meters, I solved for Θ; tan(Θ)=5.25/9.45
tan-1(5.25/9.45)= 29.05 degrees

I used this equation in snell's law:
1.33sin(29.05)=(1)sin(θair)
θ=40.23.
I found the θ to the normal, so to find θ to the horizontal: 90-40.23= 49.77 degrees.

This answer is incorrect, so any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why at half its height? Are you assuming reflection off the side? I would not assume that.

I know it reflects off the side because this would give a smaller angle to the horizontal (which is what the question is asking me to optimize for). I am unsure about how I would find an angle, and where the light would reflect off of if it was not at half the height.

armxneo said:
I know it reflects off the side because this would give a smaller angle to the horizontal (which is what the question is asking me to optimize for).
That does not follow. Suppose it does not reflect. It is possible to hold the light so that it illuminates (some part of) the bottom; at a vey low angle it will not iluminate the bottom; therefore there is a least angle at which it illuminates the bottom.
Conversely, if it can reflect off one side, why not both sides?

Ok. Based on that I have no idea how to approach the problem with the given information.

armxneo said:
Ok. Based on that I have no idea how to approach the problem with the given information.
This makes me think you have misunderstood the set up, but I can't guess in what way. Draw a cross section of the tank. It's a rectangle. The source of light is at top left (say). To just reach the bottom, without reflections, at the lowest possible angle, where will the light beam strike the bottom?

Related to The smallest angle flashlight beam can make with horizontal

What is the smallest angle a flashlight beam can make with horizontal?

The smallest angle a flashlight beam can make with horizontal is 0 degrees, also known as parallel to the ground.

Why is it important to know the smallest angle a flashlight beam can make with horizontal?

Knowing the smallest angle a flashlight beam can make with horizontal is important for targeting and directing the light in a specific direction. It can also help with energy conservation by minimizing wasted light.

Can the smallest angle a flashlight beam make with horizontal be adjusted?

Yes, most flashlights have an adjustable beam angle feature that allows the user to change the angle of the beam to their desired preference.

Does the smallest angle a flashlight beam can make with horizontal affect the brightness of the light?

Yes, the smaller the angle, the more focused and brighter the beam will be. A wider angle will result in a more diffused and less intense light.

How does the smallest angle a flashlight beam can make with horizontal impact the distance the light can travel?

The smaller the angle, the longer the distance the light can travel. A narrow beam can reach farther distances compared to a wider beam.