The Spaceship and The Wrench (1/2 + 1/2 = 4/5)

In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative derivation of the solution to a problem involving the velocity of a wrench within a spaceship as measured by an observer at rest. The problem is solved by considering the equivalence of velocity and the reverse Lorentz transformation. The final solution is found by applying the Lorentz transformations for time and using matrix multiplication. The result is that the velocity of the wrench is equal to the sum of the velocity of the spaceship and the velocity of the wrench relative to the spaceship, divided by one plus the product of these velocities.
acheong87
Background

This started out as a question, but answered itself in the process of being written up. I thought I'd post it anyway, in case it might help clarify something for someone else. It is an alternative derivation of the solution to a (similar) question asked in Six Not-So-Easy Pieces. Of course, Feynman's solution is far more elegant; this is merely how I came across the solution "in my own words."

Problem

1. A spaceship is moving with velocity [itex]v_s[/itex] as measured by an observer "at rest".
  2. A wrench within the spaceship is moving with velocity [itex]v_w'[/itex] as measured by an observer within the spaceship.
  3. At what velocity is the wrench moving, as measured by the observer at rest?

Solution

We might summarize the problem as: Solve for [itex]v_w[/itex] in terms of [itex]v_s[/itex] and [itex]v_w'[/itex].

We begin with the equivalence,

$$v_w = \frac{x_w}{t_w}$$

where [itex]x_w[/itex] is the displacement of the wrench after time [itex]t_w[/itex].

Note: I prefer to subscript all variables with their object counterparts, even if painfully obvious, in order to be perfectly clear as to whose perspective we speak of. In fact, my own attempts to solve this problem failed, initially, because I mistakenly swapped time, as experienced by the spaceship, with time, as experienced by the wrench, as if they were interchangeable.

We recall the reverse Lorentz transformation (i.e. the displacement of the wrench in the rest frame, in terms of its displacement in the moving frame):

$$x_w = \frac{x_w'+v_st_w'}{\sqrt{1-v_s^2/c^2}}$$

And we note that

$$x_w' = v_w't_w'$$

Combining the above three equations and factoring out the [itex]t_w'[/itex], we reach

$$v_w = \frac{t_w'}{t_w}\frac{v_w'+v_s}{\sqrt{1-v_s^2/c^2}}$$

Finally, we seek to rid the time variables, and to do so, we recall the Lorentz transformations for time:

$$t_w' = \frac{t_w-v_sx_w/c^2}{\sqrt{1-v_s^2/c^2}}\hspace{1in}t_w = \frac{t_w'+v_sx_w'/c^2}{\sqrt{1-v_s^2/c^2}}$$

Which shall we substitute? [itex]t_w'[/itex] or [itex]t_w[/itex]? It turns out that substituting the latter is much more productive (as substituting the former simply undos our work thus far).

\begin{align}
v_w &= \frac{t_w'}{\frac{t_w'+v_sx_w'/c^2}{\sqrt{1-v_s^2/c^2}}}\frac{v_w'+v_s}{\sqrt{1-v_s^2/c^2}} \\
v_w &= \frac{t_w'(v_w'+v_s)}{t_w'+v_sx_w'/c^2} \\
v_w &= \frac{v_w'+v_s}{1+v_s\frac{x_w'}{t_w'}/c^2} \\
v_w &= \frac{v_w'+v_s}{1+v_sv_w'/c^2}
\end{align}

And there you have it.

If a spaceship were moving at [itex]\frac{1}{2}c[/itex], and a wrench within it at [itex]\frac{1}{2}c[/itex], then the wrench, to an outside observer, moves at [itex]\frac{4}{5}c[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you know what you're doing. So I won't check the details. Since the final answer is correct, I assume the derivation is too. I just want to say that I like to do this by considering the composition of two Lorentz transformations in matrix form. I think this is is the easiest way to do it.

In units such that c=1, the Lorentz transformation with velocity v is
$$\Lambda(v)=\gamma(v)\begin{pmatrix}1 & -v\\ -v & 1\end{pmatrix},$$ where
$$\gamma(v)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}.$$

Let u be the velocity of the ship relative to the external observer. Let v be the velocity of the wrench relative to the ship. We just need to find the velocity of the Lorentz transformation ##\Lambda(u)\Lambda(v)##, so we do the matrix multiplication. Well, half of it anyway. We're not going to need the second row, so I'll just put asterisks there, instead of writing out irrelevant matrix elements.
$$\Lambda(u)\Lambda(v) =\gamma(u)\gamma(v)\begin{pmatrix}1+uv & -u-v\\ * & *\end{pmatrix} =\gamma(u)\gamma(v)(1+uv) \begin{pmatrix}1 & -\frac{u+v}{1+uv}\\ * & *\end{pmatrix}.$$ Now we just need to compare this with the first formula I wrote down to see that the velocity is
$$\frac{u+v}{1+uv}.$$

1. What is the concept behind "The Spaceship and The Wrench (1/2 + 1/2 = 4/5)"?

The concept behind this phrase is a play on fractions and the idea that two halves (1/2 + 1/2) can combine to create something greater than the sum of its parts (4/5). It also highlights the importance of teamwork and collaboration in achieving success.

2. How does this concept apply to science or the scientific process?

In science, collaboration and working together are essential for making progress and advancing knowledge. Just like two halves coming together to form something greater, scientists from different backgrounds and expertise often work together to solve complex problems and make new discoveries.

3. What can we learn from "The Spaceship and The Wrench (1/2 + 1/2 = 4/5)"?

This phrase teaches us the value of teamwork, collaboration, and thinking outside the box. It reminds us that sometimes, combining seemingly unrelated ideas or approaches can lead to innovative solutions and progress.

4. Is there a deeper meaning to this phrase?

Some may interpret this phrase as a metaphor for finding balance and harmony in life. Just like the spaceship and the wrench must work together to achieve their goal, we must also find a balance between different aspects of our lives to be successful.

5. How can we apply this concept to our daily lives?

We can apply this concept by valuing and embracing diversity, being open to different perspectives, and working together towards a common goal. We can also remember that sometimes, combining different ideas or methods can lead to better outcomes and progress.