The Telephone Seminar was fun (Laurent and Abhay arguing with Carlo)

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, the weekly International Loop Gravity Seminar is a great platform for scientists to discuss and make progress on new work in the field. It is exciting to see the connection between Loop and Newton gravity being explored, and the active participation and collaboration within the loop community is encouraging. Thank you for sharing the link to the seminar series and for highlighting the lively discussions and progress being made.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
they just had another episode of the weekly International Loop Gravity Seminar

to follow the discussion it helps to read the slides first and then as Rovelli gives the talk he refers to the slides so you can see what he is talking about

it is new work so there is plenty of reason to ask questions and to discuss it

there are several unidentified voices, but mainly (besides Carlo) the voices were Abhay Ashtekar, Laurent Freidel, Simone Speziale, Jorge Pullin). To me it is especially cheerful and hopeful to listen to Laurent arguing with Carlo. It sounds like real people making progress on their job. Abhay also was arguing but in a more restrained way. Great!

there was someone whose name sounded to me like "Soren" or "Thoren" and who spoke with a north-european accent---I don't know who that could be.

having a weekly Telephone Seminar seems to be proving a good idea so far.

next Tuesday Simone Speziale will give the second talk on getting Newton Law from LQG----or graviton propagator from LQG---however you prefer to call it.

These days Loop is contacting Newton gravity and showing the right low energy largescale limit, or so the seminar people seem to think.

the hottest part of the discussion is in the last 5 minutes, but it's all good :-)
===============
to find the link you can just google "rovelli" and there is the link right on his home page, you can't miss it.

or you can go to the official "International Loop Seminars" page, set up by Jorge Pullin, who is in charge
http://relativity.phys.lsu.edu/ilqgs/

that also has the slides and audio of past seminars, and announcement of future ones

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this weekly International Loop Gravity Seminar to my attention. it is always exciting to hear about new developments and discussions in our field. I agree that it is helpful to read the slides beforehand and follow along as the speaker refers to them.

I also appreciate your identification of some of the voices in the seminar, as it helps to know who is contributing to the discussion. It is great to hear that there is lively debate and progress being made in this area of research.

I will definitely check out the link you provided to find more information about this seminar series. It is encouraging to see that the loop community is actively collaborating and sharing their work with others. I look forward to listening to the upcoming talk by Simone Speziale and learning more about the connection between Loop and Newton gravity.

Thank you again for sharing this with us. It is indeed a positive sign to see scientists coming together to advance our understanding of the universe. I will make sure to follow along with this seminar series and stay updated on the latest developments in Loop Gravity.

I find it exciting to hear about the weekly International Loop Gravity Seminar and the progress being made by researchers such as Carlo Rovelli, Abhay Ashtekar, Laurent Freidel, Simone Speziale, and Jorge Pullin. It's encouraging to hear that there is lively discussion and debate happening during these seminars, as it shows that the researchers are actively engaged in their work and making progress. I am also glad to hear that the format of the seminar, with the speaker referring to slides, is helpful for following the discussion.

It's interesting to hear about the different personalities and voices present during the seminar, including the lively arguments between Laurent and Carlo. I am curious to know more about the unidentified voice with the north-european accent, as it could potentially be a new addition to the field.

I appreciate the suggestion to find the link to the seminar by googling "rovelli" or visiting the official International Loop Seminars page. It's great to have easy access to the slides and audio recordings of past seminars, and to see the announcement of future ones. I am particularly looking forward to Simone Speziale's talk on deriving Newton's Law from LQG, and to see how Loop is connecting with Newtonian gravity.

Overall, the seminar seems to be a great way for researchers to share their work and engage in meaningful discussion and debate. I am glad to see that it is proving to be a successful platform for advancing research in Loop Gravity.

What is the topic of the telephone seminar?

The topic of the telephone seminar is "The Telephone Seminar was fun (Laurent and Abhay arguing with Carlo)".

Who are the main speakers in the telephone seminar?

The main speakers in the telephone seminar are Laurent, Abhay, and Carlo.

What was the nature of the argument between Laurent and Abhay?

The argument between Laurent and Abhay was regarding the level of fun in the telephone seminar.

Was the telephone seminar enjoyable overall?

According to the title, the telephone seminar was fun, but the extent of enjoyment may vary among the speakers involved.

Is there any valuable information discussed in the telephone seminar?

This cannot be determined without listening to the telephone seminar. However, even if the main topic was not discussed seriously, there could still be valuable insights or ideas shared during the conversation.