The theory on the effects of polarizers on particles wavefunctions

tade
I would like to ask what the current scientific understanding on the abilities of various types of polarizers to affect the wavefunctions of particles is. Its based on an earlier thread OP of mine and one of the replies in the thread.

So the Born rule is pretty fundamental to quantum mechanics and the reply numbered and listed two different concepts. And I was thinking about an idea of a third concept, of the polarizer affecting the wavefunction of an entangled pair of particles, nudging the values of the coefficients and their squares in some manner prior to collapse and that being the cause of the overall nudge.
And so based on that I'm wondering what the current understanding on the abilities (or lack thereof) of polarizers to affect particle wavefunctions is, I'd preferably like an overview of the parts of the subject which pertain to this topic which I've raised, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A polarizer is a projector. If you have a photon in a given state and the polarizer at a given angle, it selects the photons with the given angle and suppresses the rest. For a state like:
$$|\gamma\rangle=\frac{|V\rangle+|H\rangle}{\sqrt2}$$
where H and V stand for horizontal and vertical polarizations, a vertical polarizer is written as ##P=|V\rangle\langle V|##. If you apply it to your state and take the norm squared you get the probability of transmission (in this case 1/2). In the language of density matrices it creates a mixed state.

pines-demon said:
A polarizer is a projector. If you have a photon in a given state and the polarizer at a given angle, it selects the photons with the given angle and suppresses the rest. For a state like:
$$|\gamma\rangle=\frac{|V\rangle+|H\rangle}{\sqrt2}$$
where H and V stand for horizontal and vertical polarizations, a vertical polarizer is written as ##P=|V\rangle\langle V|##. If you apply it to your state and take the norm squared you get the probability of transmission (in this case 1/2). In the language of density matrices it creates a mixed state.
hmm I see, and just wondering does this pertain to the question of the abilities (or lack thereof) of various types of polarizers to affect particle wavefunctions

Yes, the polarizer affects the particle wavefunction: in the example above, the photon wavefunction before the polarizer was ##\frac{|V\rangle+|H\rangle}{\sqrt2}## and its wavefunction after passing through the polarizer is ##|V\rangle##.

Hill said:
Yes, the polarizer affects the particle wavefunction: in the example above, the photon wavefunction before the polarizer was ##\frac{|V\rangle+|H\rangle}{\sqrt2}## and its wavefunction after passing through the polarizer is ##|V\rangle##.
oh i see
and how about the part about nudging the values of the coefficients in some manner prior to collapse

tade said:
Its based on an earlier thread OP of mine
This thread here is now closed temporarily for Moderator review...
[ETA: And now closed for good]

Last edited by a moderator:
tade said:
and how about the part about nudging the values of the coefficients in some manner prior to collapse
The last time you asked this question many posters carefully explained why this is doesn't even make sense.
You're not going to get different answers by asking agains every year or so.

This thread is closed.
Do not post this question again.