The Top Ten Concepts I need to teach my kids?

In summary: I think it's important to have an understanding of the different types of data so that you can make more informed decisions.
flebber
Hi

What are the key concepts of Maths and Physics that every parent should ensure their kids know?

Major focus of this I am concentrating on is one a strong basis for them to be informed and backed with key knowledge to allow them to be curious and explore and learn.

Physics news on Phys.org

Likes flebber and Choppy
Teach them to be curious. Seriously, that's the only "concept" I think they need to know.

What age kids are we talking about here?

Dishsoap said:
Teach them to be curious. Seriously, that's the only "concept" I think they need to know.

And maybe to "investigate/ask about" the things they are curious about.

I know a lot of people that wonder about stuff but just accept it after a while in which they cannot figure it out.
My response is think -> google -> think some more.

Maybe "critical thinking" could be added. E.g. learn them to not accept the first semi-plausible explanation as is.
Because charismatic and engaging presenters can sell a lot of bogus information. This we do not want.
The media requires some skepticism as well these days.

I don't think that teaching them things which aren't a part of your life will have a lasting, positive impact. On the other hand, if things are a tangible part of your life, you probably don't have to specifically teach them. So my advise would be to ask yourself, what is important to me and do I give these things enough space in my life.

I think this is especially true for the scientific method / skepticism / curiosity. So I would especially try not to pretend to be the omniscient parent and be honest when I can't answer a question or realize that I don't understand something as well as I thought I did.

Last edited:
  1. When you don't know stuff, just admit it and guide them towards finding a solution, this will promote curiosity and self-discovery. Computer savvy people are savvy only because they know how to describe their problem properly and use google.
  2. The scientific method (see first post)
  3. When you see an ad that is a trap for unschooled people, discuss about it. What does "up to 40% more" mean?
  4. Statistics, this is the most important

• An anecdote is not data
Use learning occasions when you see them to drive home the point that an anectode is not important to judge if a medicine works, that statistics matter, and that they're limited in their usefulness by the external influencs on sample.
  • Correlation does not imply causation
You can make this funny:
emons-imported-to-the-USA-from-mexico-correlates-with-a-decrease-in-the-US-highway-fatality-rate.jpg
Teaching them this stuff will protect them from conspiracy theorists (especially anti-vaxxers) and multilevel marketers.
Maybe it's too advanced for kids but preteens are usually not ideologically cementified and they're big enough to discuss stuff.

• The house always wins/Lottery - the tax on stupidity
Gambling is another thing that disproportionately hits low income people who lack secondary education.

• Then there is the man who drowned crossing a stream with an average depth of six inches. ~W.I.E. Gates
understanding the difference between a mean and a median wage is important for politics.

1. What are the top ten concepts that I need to teach my kids?

The top ten concepts that you should teach your kids are: critical thinking, effective communication, problem-solving, time management, financial literacy, empathy, resilience, adaptability, teamwork, and creativity.

2. Why are critical thinking and effective communication important concepts to teach kids?

Critical thinking and effective communication are crucial skills for kids to develop because they allow them to analyze and evaluate information, make informed decisions, and effectively express their thoughts and ideas to others.

3. How can I teach my kids problem-solving skills?

You can teach your kids problem-solving skills by encouraging them to approach problems with a logical and systematic approach, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and providing them with opportunities to practice problem-solving in real-life situations.

4. What is the best way to teach financial literacy to my kids?

The best way to teach financial literacy to your kids is by starting early, using hands-on activities and games to make learning fun, and setting a good example by practicing good financial habits yourself.

5. How can I foster empathy and resilience in my kids?

You can foster empathy and resilience in your kids by encouraging them to understand and share the feelings of others, exposing them to diverse perspectives and experiences, and teaching them to bounce back from setbacks and failures.