The Truth About Nikola Tesla: Separating Fact from Fiction

In summary: Nikola Tesla was an extensive thinker, he had thoughts beyond dimensions.Yes, he definitely had a lot of thoughts. He was a physicist, engineer, inventor, and futurist.Yes, he definitely had a lot of thoughts.
lekh2003
Gold Member
I was browsing the forum and it seems to be that Nikola Tesla is a generally unliked and unpreferred guy around here, due to him being overrated and hyped.

Is this really true? He seems just like every other physicist and he seems to have done some good work which definitely deserves some hype.

Am I wrong here? Did he not do what he claims to have done, like Edison?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Tesla definitely made contributions in the field of AC power transmission and high-frequency inductive coupling. After all, the SI unit of magnetic flux density is named after him. However, he has developed a cult following that seems to treat him as some sort of demi-god and believes that he made a huge number of wonderful inventions that were then suppressed by "the establishment". What you are seeing is probably a reaction to this cult following. I would post some links to the cult following, but they probably violate the forum guidelines.

Likes bhobba and Dale
phyzguy said:
However, he has developed a cult following that seems to treat him as some sort of demi-god and believes that he made a huge number of wonderful inventions that were then suppressed by "the establishment".
Aah, that is interesting. His work on AC currents is commendable, but I understand the outlash against cult followings.

Thanks for the response.

I don't think that Tesla is unliked.
It's the woo and mysticism which got attached to him that is unliked, as far as I know without he encouraging it,

Likes bhobba, Dale and fresh_42
lekh2003 said:
I was browsing the forum and it seems to be that Nikola Tesla is a generally unliked and unpreferred guy around here, due to him being overrated and hyped.

Is this really true? He seems just like every other physicist...
Er, well, to start, he wasn't a physicist, he was an inventor!

russ_watters said:
Er, well, to start, he wasn't a physicist, he was an inventor!
He was quite a few things. Wikipedia says he was an inventor, engineer, physicist and futurist.

Likes ISamson
lekh2003 said:
He was quite a few things. Wikipedia says he was an inventor, engineer, physicist and futurist.
Well he didn't finish any degree and never published a paper or developed a theory that left his head, so I don't know by what criteria one would call him a "physicist".

In any case, @rootone is correct: we don't dislike Tesla here, we just dislike the cult built around him.

Likes bhobba and Dale
There are people who are exceptional in many fields,
Tesla was, Newton too, but both made mistakes.

russ_watters said:
Well he didn't finish any degree and never published a paper or developed a theory that left his head, so I don't know by what criteria one would call him a "physicist".
I agree. That does make sense.
russ_watters said:
In any case, @rootone is correct: we don't dislike Tesla here, we just dislike the cult built around him.
Agreed as well.

russ_watters said:

Nikola Tesla was an extensive thinker, he had thoughts beyond dimensions. He had intuitions regarding converting the mechanical energy (free energy) i.e. for ex: rotation of Earth into electrical energy through his wireless transmission tower. This is my intuitions I did not read it anywhere he he.

After all I've read, I would say that he is often underrated and doesn't get the credit he deserves. He could be mentioned far often than he is.

Likes Teslascience
I think to state sombody is overrated or not is a subjective judgement. To be objective one need to know the work done by that person.
In case of Nikola Tesla it is a hard but I think a rewarding job. He lectured and patented his ideas and inventions so it's open for everybody who is interested in it. In his time his lectures were most popular and even the greatest scintist attended this in the US, Great Britain and France too.
Was he a scientist and physicist? On the one hand to answer this question one need to know his work on the field of high voltage high frequency currents, electron and röntgen rays, etc.
On the other hands he doesn't worked for any university or scientific institution so in that sense he was not a physicist, but definitely made scientific research work in his labs. By all means knowing his life and work I think he had one of the brightest mind in our history and this alone make him worthy to study his work. His discovery in his childhood that human thinking and action too is controlled through subliminal messages is maybe more important for mankind than his later scientific work (wich is based on that discovery)...

Teslascience said:
His discovery in his childhood that human thinking and action too is controlled through subliminal messages is maybe more important for mankind than his later scientific work (wich is based on that discovery)...

That's exactly the woo we don't allow here, and that's exactly why he is difficult to discuss - sooner or later every Tesla thread is contaminated by nonsense.

Topic locked.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, phinds and bhobba

1. Is Nikola Tesla's contribution to science and technology exaggerated?

There is ongoing debate about the extent of Nikola Tesla's contributions to science and technology. While some argue that he is overrated and his achievements have been exaggerated, others believe that he is not given enough credit for his innovations.

2. What are some examples of Nikola Tesla's overrated inventions?

Some critics argue that Nikola Tesla's inventions, such as the Tesla coil and the Tesla turbine, have been overrated and did not have as much practical application as initially believed. Others argue that his ideas were ahead of their time and paved the way for future innovations.

3. Is Nikola Tesla's rivalry with Thomas Edison a contributing factor to his overrated status?

Nikola Tesla's rivalry with Thomas Edison is often cited as a contributing factor to his overrated status. Some argue that his reputation was overshadowed by Edison's success and that his ideas were not given proper recognition during his lifetime.

4. How do historians and scientists view Nikola Tesla's legacy?

Historians and scientists have conflicting views on Nikola Tesla's legacy. Some argue that his contributions have been exaggerated and that he was not as influential as popular culture portrays him to be. Others believe that he was a visionary and that his ideas continue to impact society today.

5. Has Nikola Tesla been given the appropriate recognition for his achievements?

The recognition given to Nikola Tesla for his achievements is a subject of debate. While some argue that he has been overrated, others believe that he has not been given enough credit for his contributions to science and technology. Regardless, his legacy continues to be celebrated and studied by scientists and historians around the world.