The Unknown Threat: Is Acid Rain Real or Just Hype?

In summary, this person is talking about how some things in the world have been a threat to people for a while, and one of those things is acid rain.
Mk
What is going on here? Should I shelter my children from the rain? One of my friends was telling me about acid rain how it used to happen. I said I don't remember it raining acid. ? :cry: The unknown!

But seriously, is this a real threat, was it? Was it just a bunch of hype caused by environmentalists? Compareable to Love Canal, Times Beach, DDT, Radon, the ozone hole, global warming, Bovine Growth Hormone, the coming Ice Age, the Day After Tomorrow, overcrowding of the Earth, the population bomb etc... Wow I just realized this has been going on for a while.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
DDT is hype?

Didn't like.. thousands of people die from that?

Pengwuino said:
DDT is hype?

Didn't like.. thousands of people die from that?

Nope. Millions die annually from malaria --- tens of millions w'out DDT.

It was implicated in declining raptor populations due to bioaccumulation processes; believed to result in thinning of egg shells to a degree that they were too fragile for successful nesting and incubation.

Well about 20-30 years ago the forests in Western Europe were strongly declining, known here as "das grosse waldessterben" and indeed every casual observer could not conclude anything else.

So we cut back on SOx emissions and other pollutants and yo and behold the forests are thriving again as never before.

Or were it the early 1970 draughts that led to many trees to perish?

Andre said:
Well about 20-30 years ago the forests in Western Europe were strongly declining, known here as "das grosse waldessterben" and indeed every casual observer could not conclude anything else.
So we cut back on SOx emissions and other pollutants and yo and behold the forests are thriving again as never before.
Or were it the early 1970 draughts that led to many trees to perish?

What about the effects on aquatic life, and acid rain elsewhere in the world? Can this all be tied into drought? Have decreases in forest cover on such a magnitude been caused by droughts in the past?
Acid rain seems like the more likely culprit to me.

matthyaouw said:
Acid rain isn't a threat unless you are a tree, a limestone building, or a lake ecosystem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain
Acid rain is quite a threat because when it comes in contact with soil, rocks, and sediment it can unlock metals like mercury, cadmium, and aluminun that bioconcentrate in the fish and the animals that we eat. Here in Maine, when you get your fishing license, they also issue you a book of regulations, that contains prominent health advisories warning pregnant women not to eat wild fish, and suggesting strict limits to how much wild fish anybody should eat - to avoid mercury poisoning. The state also advises that you not eat deer liver because of high concentrations of cadmium.

Acid rain has already caused damage to our environment that might take decades to mediate, even if man-made acid-forming emissions stopped right now.

turbo-1 said:
Acid rain is quite a threat because when it comes in contact with soil, rocks, and sediment it can unlock metals like mercury, cadmium, and aluminun that bioconcentrate in the fish and the animals that we eat.

Right you are:blushing:

turbo-1 said:
Acid rain is quite a threat because when it comes in contact with soil, rocks, and sediment it can unlock metals like mercury, cadmium, and aluminun that bioconcentrate in the fish and the animals that we eat.
So it is not the acidity of the rain that is bad, it is the reactions that go on underground, that bring heavy metals into the ocean?

Thank you for helping, but I don't quite understand yet.

1. Is acid rain a real threat to the environment?

Yes, acid rain is a real threat to the environment. It is caused by the emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides from burning fossil fuels. These emissions combine with water vapor in the atmosphere to form acid rain, which can harm plants, animals, and ecosystems.

2. How does acid rain affect the environment?

Acid rain can have several negative effects on the environment. It can harm plants by damaging their leaves and limiting their ability to absorb nutrients. It can also decrease the pH of soil, making it difficult for plants to grow. Acid rain can also harm aquatic life by making lakes and rivers too acidic for some species to survive.

3. Is acid rain only a problem in certain areas?

No, acid rain can occur in any region that is downwind of industrial areas or areas with high emissions of pollutants. It can also be transported long distances by wind and affect areas that are far away from the original source of emissions.

4. Can acid rain be prevented or mitigated?

Yes, steps can be taken to prevent and mitigate the effects of acid rain. Regulations on emissions from power plants and other industrial sources have been implemented in many countries, leading to a decrease in acid rain. Additionally, liming, which involves adding calcium carbonate to water or soil, can neutralize the acid and reduce its harmful effects.

5. How can I tell if acid rain is affecting the environment?

There are several indicators that can suggest the presence of acid rain. These include damaged or dying plants, changes in the pH of soil or water bodies, and a decrease in the population of certain aquatic species. Monitoring programs and studies can also provide evidence of the impact of acid rain on the environment.