The unwinding coil (teaching experience sharing)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a uniform disk attached to a ceiling by a stretchless and massless wire, initially at rest but then released, causing the disk to fall and rotate as the wire unwinds. The question is raised about the unwound part of the wire staying vertical throughout the motion, and it is suggested that the Lagrange equations be used to prove this. The conversation also touches on the impact of mass and stiffness on the motion.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
It is just for teaching experience sharing. Consider a uniform disk. A stretchless and massless wire has been wound on the disk. The end of the wire is attached to the ceiling. Initially the system is at rest as it is shown at the picture. Then the disk is released. It falls down and rotates and the wire unwinds.
Prove that the unwound part of the wire keeps being vertical for all the time.
This fact is evident (I do not know why), nevertheless to provide a correct proof one must write the Lagrange equations for the system with two degrees of freedom and make sure that the corresponding motion satisfies the equations.

pic.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Delta2, Adesh, etotheipi and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
wrobel said:
This fact is evident (I do not know why), ...
Intuitively, because there are no horizontal forces.

Likes Delta2, Adesh and Leo Liu
Aren't there stability issues? What if the initial conditions provide just a little sideways nudge?

A.T. said:
Intuitively, because there are no horizontal forces.
Yes but if the coil has an elliptic shape then there are also no horizontal forces at the beginning but then they appear. I do not know if there are trivial explanations which do not refer equations of motion

hutchphd said:
Aren't there stability issues?
I believe that the Lyapunov stability is a very hard problem here.

Likes vanhees71
wrobel said:
Yes but if the coil has an elliptic shape then there are also no horizontal forces at the beginning but then they appear.
Okay. But if the coil is circular, the only way to make the wire not vertical is to accelerate the center of mass of the coil horizontally. And for this you need horizontal forces away from the vertical. But here any horizontal forces would oppose the deviation from the vertical.

So it's not like the ball on the top of the sphere, which is indeterminate. But rather like a ball at the bottom of a spherical bowl.

Last edited:
Obviously it depends on the initial conditions, whether the wire stays vertical or not. I'd expect the complete solution to give a pendulum-like oscillation together with the motion of the cylinder unwinding the wire. That could be an interesting problem for the analytical-mechanics lecture. I'm pretty sure it can be found in some textbooks.

Likes Lnewqban
as for my intuition the oscillations must decrease as ##t\to\infty##

Likes Lnewqban
Once the disk is released, what prevents the center of mass of the disk, after some oscillations, to tend to vertically get aligned with the point of anchorage of the wire to the ceiling?
There is an initial restitutive torque respect to that anchorage point.

Likes Adesh
There is a pretty big difference between " my intuition prompts me something" and "Basing on the given mathematical model I can prove the following theorem..."

wrobel said:
There is a pretty big difference between " my intuition prompts me something" and "Basing on the given mathematical model I can prove the following theorem..."
Yes, I was mainly replying to the question, why it's intuitively self-evident.

A.T. said:
I'm not sure that 'intuitively' is an appropriate word. Your explanation is very reasonable and I have to accept it but, as with a lot of explanations, writing the equations and concluding something is not always intuitive - until you are at a level where you can suspend your disbelief and accept that description of things. I just made a comment on another thread that 'intuition' is, in fact the use of learned knowledge . If you don't have the knowledge then your 'intuition' may be like the intuition Jacob Rees-Mogg describes (virtual ignorance).
I accept that the string must stay vertical but when I look at the diagram, I 'see' the drum swinging like a pendulum. Would I risk my life, relying on your prediction? Hmmm. (Virtual ignorance :wink: )

Likes Lnewqban
A.T. said:
I answered #8 :)

wrobel said:
It is just for teaching experience sharing. Consider a uniform disk. A stretchless and massless wire has been wound on the disk. The end of the wire is attached to the ceiling. Initially the system is at rest as it is shown at the picture. Then the disk is released. It falls down and rotates and the wire unwinds.

pic-jpg.jpg
Alternative question: What if the wire is not mass-less? Will the coil drift horizontally? If yes, in which direction?

A.T. said:
native question: What if the wire is not mass-less?
I do not know, I even do not know whether the unwound part of the massive wire will be straight

wrobel said:
I do not know, ...
Me neither. I just have intuitions.

I think the main problem is not so much tha mass but the stiffness of the wire. I'd rather think about a massive or massless thread, for which stiffness can be neglected. With a massive thread it's a bit tricky though. For a massless thread it seems to be a straight-forward problem perfectly suitable for the Lagrange or Hamilton formalism (action principle).

1. What is "The unwinding coil" and why is it important in teaching?

"The unwinding coil" is a term used to describe the process of reflecting on and sharing one's teaching experiences with others. It is important in teaching because it allows educators to learn from each other's successes and challenges, leading to continuous improvement and growth in the classroom.

2. How can "The unwinding coil" benefit both new and experienced teachers?

For new teachers, "The unwinding coil" can provide valuable insights and strategies from more experienced educators, helping them to navigate their first years in the classroom. For experienced teachers, it can serve as a way to reflect on their own practices and learn new ideas from their colleagues.

3. What are some effective ways to engage in "The unwinding coil" with colleagues?

Some effective ways to engage in "The unwinding coil" with colleagues include participating in professional development workshops or conferences, joining a teacher mentorship program, or simply having informal discussions and sharing experiences during lunch or planning periods.

4. How can "The unwinding coil" contribute to a positive school culture and community?

By engaging in "The unwinding coil" with colleagues, teachers can build a sense of camaraderie and support within their school community. This can lead to a more positive and collaborative school culture, where educators feel comfortable sharing their ideas and experiences with each other.

5. What are some potential challenges or obstacles when participating in "The unwinding coil"?

Some potential challenges when participating in "The unwinding coil" may include finding time to engage in discussions and reflections with colleagues, differing opinions and approaches to teaching, and potential feelings of vulnerability when sharing personal experiences. It is important for educators to approach "The unwinding coil" with an open mind and a willingness to learn from others.