Theatre & Ethics: Greek Comedy & Tragedy

• Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ethics
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of theater in ancient Greek society and its ability to accommodate different modes of human life. The topic of comedy and tragedy is also explored, with mention of the influence of mortality and the possibility of theater reflecting current events. The conversation also touches on the role of theater in modern times and the idea of art being both beautiful and entertaining.
Gear300
Not sure if this is the best way to ask, but the Classical Greeks put theatre and life between comedy and tragedy. Does theatre accommodate other modes of human life?, or are those two the 'essential two'? (This was an essay question I had no answer to.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
Not sure if this is the best way to ask, but the Classical Greeks put theatre and life between comedy and tragedy. Does theatre accommodate other modes of human life?, or are those two the 'essential two'? (This was an essay question I had no answer to.)
Not sure I understand your post. Does 'modes of human life' refer to life stages? Classical theater includes youth, adulthood, old age and afterlife; i.e., ghosts. The peripetia invariably revolves around human mortality. Death may strike at any stage of life but becomes certain in old age.

Likes gleem
Not sure I know either. I once had a professor who had it in his every intention to teach Galois theory in our group algebra course. We covered finite group algebras and a bit of polynomial fields, but then he got caught in divorce at the end of the semester and there wasn't much after. Although he did manage to give us an introduction to Évariste Galois' biography, and told us that if he had managed to survive his duel, then his life would have been a comedy thereafter. And that was all we took from him. (Useless algebra 😤)

Last edited:
@Gear300, Did you mean ethos rather than ethics? This seems more relevant to theater.

Likes pinball1970
Gear300 said:
Theatre accommodates everything today. Plays and musicals are an art form.
Shakespeare did comedy, tragedy and history.
400 years later? Pretty much everything, theatre reflects what is going on in the world and musicals also do that.
For me? Art has to beautiful and entertaining.
If I have to read a book on Kant or Chomsky before I go to the play I am not interested.

Likes gmax137
Gear300 said:
(This was an essay question I had no answer to.)
First question that comes to mind is, what course contained this essay question?

1. What is the role of ethics in Greek comedy and tragedy?

Ethics played a significant role in Greek comedy and tragedy as these theatrical forms were used to explore and question moral and ethical dilemmas. Through the use of satire and dramatic irony, playwrights were able to comment on societal values and challenge the audience's beliefs about what is right and wrong.

2. How did Greek playwrights incorporate ethical themes into their works?

Greek playwrights often used well-known myths and legends as the basis for their plays, which allowed them to explore ethical themes through familiar stories. They also used the chorus as a moral voice, commenting on the actions of the characters and providing a reflection of societal values.

3. Were there any specific ethical codes or guidelines that Greek playwrights had to follow?

While there were no specific ethical codes or guidelines that Greek playwrights had to follow, they were expected to adhere to the cultural values of their society. This included showing respect for the gods, upholding the importance of family and community, and promoting virtues such as courage and honor.

4. How did the audience's response to ethical themes in Greek theatre differ between comedy and tragedy?

In Greek comedy, ethical themes were often used for comedic effect and to criticize societal norms. The audience would laugh at the characters' flaws and enjoy the satire. In contrast, ethical themes in tragedy were presented in a more serious and dramatic manner, evoking feelings of pity and fear in the audience as they witnessed the downfall of the tragic hero.

5. How have the ethical themes in Greek comedy and tragedy influenced modern theatre?

The ethical themes explored in Greek comedy and tragedy, such as the consequences of hubris and the struggle between individual desires and societal expectations, continue to be relevant in modern theatre. Many contemporary plays draw inspiration from these ancient works and use them to comment on current ethical issues and dilemmas.