Theorem on Friends & Strangers: Infinite Possibilities

In summary, the theorem on friends and strangers states that in a group of six people, there will always be either a subgroup of three friends or a subgroup of three strangers. This can be extended to infinite sets, where there will always be an infinite number of people who are either all friends or all strangers. However, it is possible to have both scenarios occur simultaneously in infinite sets. Ramsey theory explores these concepts further, with many unsolved problems in the field.
cragar
Theorem on friends and strangers:
If we have 6 people in a room, then 3 of them know each other or 3 of them don't know each other. Or should it say that at least 3 people don't know anyone or at least 3 people are friends? Then my teacher said we can extend this to infinite sets, saying there is an infinite amount of people that don't know each other or there is an infinite amount of people that know each other. But it seems like I could have both with infinite sets. We could have all the even number people be friends with their squares, And all the odd numbered people be friends with their squares and we will make sure that the even and odd number people are friends.
This is not homework.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Cragar,

You may have slightly misunderstood the statements of the theorems. The first one says that in any group of six people, we can either find a subgroup of three where all three are friends to each other, or a subgroup of three, all of whom are strangers (to the others in the subgroup).

Your attempt of reformulation misses that the required friendship, or lack thereof, is only for the subgroup, and your remark about the infinite case seems to be a confusion of the statement "A or B", which does allow for the case of both A and B happening at once.

These theorems are part of Ramsey theory, a very fun part of combinatorics, with plenty of accessible statements not yet proven. The friendship theorem can be stated as r(3,3)=6, meaning that 6 is the lowest number of people you can have to be guaranteed either 3 friends or 3 strangers. r(5,5) is the lowest case not yet determined. Among 49 people you can always find 5 friends or 5 strangers, but this may be true all the way down to 43.

Last edited:
ok so when we say " A or B '' one or both could be true or both could be true to make that statement true.

Here is another way to state the theorem which may be easier to visualize.

Suppose you have a graph consisting of 6 vertices connected by edges. Each point is connected to every other point by a single edge. In other words, we have the complete graph on 6 vertices. Each edge is colored either red or blue. Then either there is a triangle with all blue edges, or there is a triangle with all red edges.

Ok I think understand the graph thing.
So for example I could also have 3 groups of 2 people where they each knew each other.
so If I pick someone from one of the groups and wouldn't know someone from any of the other 2 groups.
And then I think for the next Ramsey number, if we want a group where 4 people know or don't know each other we need 18 people to make sure of this, but it seems like 7 would work.

A very simple example is having 3 groups of 3 friends, where friendship only exists within the groups, then you have 9 people without any 4 friends or 4 strangers. Such examples can be made all the way up to 17 (number the people 0,1,...,16, and assume x and y are friends iff x and y differ by either 1, 2, 4 or 8 modulo 17), showing that r(4,4)>=18. To prove the upper bound, you need to work your way to r(4,3)=9 first, and then use the relation r(m,n)<=r(m,n-1)+r(m-1,n) which is a nice easy exersize to show.

I don't know if I understand your example with 3 groups of 3 friends, where the friendship only exists within the groups. If the friendship only exists in the groups then I could take one person from a group and he wouldn't know any of the other people in another group so I would have 4 strangers. Do you know a good book to learn about Ramsey theory.

1. What is the Theorem on Friends & Strangers: Infinite Possibilities?

The Theorem on Friends & Strangers: Infinite Possibilities is a mathematical concept that explores the infinite number of potential relationships between people, whether they be friends or strangers. It suggests that there are an infinite number of possible connections and interactions between individuals, creating endless possibilities for human relationships.

2. Who developed the Theorem on Friends & Strangers: Infinite Possibilities?

The Theorem on Friends & Strangers: Infinite Possibilities was developed by mathematician and physicist, Professor John D. Barrow. He first proposed the theorem in his book "The Artful Universe" in 1995, and it has since been studied and expanded upon by other mathematicians and scientists.

3. How does the Theorem on Friends & Strangers: Infinite Possibilities apply to real life?

The theorem applies to real life by emphasizing the vast potential for human relationships and connections. It suggests that there are always new and different ways for people to interact and form relationships, and that these possibilities are infinite. This concept can also be applied to other areas of life, such as technology and society.

4. What are some practical applications of the Theorem on Friends & Strangers: Infinite Possibilities?

While the theorem is primarily a theoretical concept, it has practical applications in fields such as social networking, marketing, and artificial intelligence. It can also be used in understanding the complexity of human relationships and behavior, and in predicting future trends and patterns.

5. What are some criticisms of the Theorem on Friends & Strangers: Infinite Possibilities?

Some critics argue that the theorem is too abstract and lacks concrete evidence or practical applications. Others suggest that the concept is limited in its scope and does not take into account cultural or societal factors that can affect relationships. Additionally, some argue that the concept of infinite possibilities can be overwhelming and does not accurately reflect the reality of human relationships.