Theoretical pressure decay of a pressurised vessel

In summary, a vessel pressurised to 1000Pa will experience a leak of 0.5L/hr. The flow rate is insignificant due to the small leak. The effect of moisture condensation is negligible.
DSOTM
I am looking to derive a method of plotting the theoretical pressure decay of a pressurised vessel. I would like to end up with a graph that plots internal vessel pressure against time.

Is this possible?

What assumptions would I need to make?

The following inputs will be known.
  • Gas: air
  • Vessel volume is constant
  • Starting internal vessel pressure
  • Internal vessel temperature remains constant
  • External temperature remains constant
  • External pressure remains constant
  • Size of the leak aperture
  • Test duration
The internal pressure difference will be small, in the region of a few hundred Pascals.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Too many variables and you may not have enough information. If the external temperature and pressure are changing you need to know the rate of change over time (unless we are to assume it is linear). But the real problem is that the interest level in solving it is too low for the amount of work involved in finding a solution.

Thanks. We would assume internal temperature, external temperature and external pressure to remain constant. That's not clear in my post so will update.

Welcome to PF, by the way!

Likes DSOTM
You can make a transient simulation from the differential equations. Include

mass balance
energy balance
volume balance
perfect gas law
orifice flow equations
include all the constraints and assumptions you mentioned.

I don't see an assumption about moisture in your list.

Yikes, i wouldn't even know where to start with that.

What do you need to know about moisture?

We're looking for a somewhat simplistic approximation, if that's even possible.

DSOTM said:
What do you need to know about moisture?
When your gas leaks out, it cools. Moisture condenses around the aperture, shrinking it. This decreases the volume of gas leaving, but may increase its speed, which would further reduce the temperature.

In extreme cases, you can actually freeze the hole.

Likes Lnewqban
What is the type of gas and the average molecular weight of the gas ?
What is the viscosity of the gas ?

The first approximation will be an exponential decay.
The second approximation will be a couple of exponential decays due to switching between turbulent and laminar flow.

This is a handy reference for the occasional plumber:

https://files.valinonline.com/userfiles/documents/instrvalvetechguide.pdf

See 'Gas Flow Calculations'- approx middle the document. You should be able to find published data giving you Cv values for different orifice sizes - you can get a reasonably good estimate of the flow with that and the equations in the document. Once you have that, it's pretty simple to use excel to calculate the 'new' (reduced) tank pressure and orifice flow at the interval of your choice.

This isn't perfect - you may need to 'adjust' your Cv based on experimental results. There are more 'precise' ways to do this, but I'm not sure that they're much more accurate - assumptions are required no matter what approach you use.

Vanadium 50 said:
When your gas leaks out, it cools. Moisture condenses around the aperture, shrinking it. This decreases the volume of gas leaving, but may increase its speed, which would further reduce the temperature.

In extreme cases, you can actually freeze the hole.
Ok with you now. So for a 50L vessel pressurised to 1000Pa we're looking at a leak of 0.5L/hr. So the flow rate is incredibly small. I would assume that the effects of moisture condensation are negligible.

Baluncore said:
What is the type of gas and the average molecular weight of the gas ?
What is the viscosity of the gas ?

The first approximation will be an exponential decay.
The second approximation will be a couple of exponential decays due to switching between turbulent and laminar flow.
Gas is air. Temperature 15 deg C. Google tells me that corresponds to 1.81x10-5 kg/(m.s).
Molecular weight of 28.97gram/mol.

The flow rate is extremely small, i would assume the flow is not turbulent.

1. What is the theoretical pressure decay of a pressurised vessel?

The theoretical pressure decay of a pressurised vessel refers to the rate at which the pressure inside the vessel decreases over time due to various factors such as leakage, temperature changes, and material properties.

2. How is the theoretical pressure decay calculated?

The theoretical pressure decay can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its volume. By measuring the initial pressure, temperature, and volume of the vessel, and tracking changes over time, the theoretical pressure decay can be determined.

3. What factors can affect the theoretical pressure decay of a pressurised vessel?

There are several factors that can affect the theoretical pressure decay of a pressurised vessel, including the material and thickness of the vessel, temperature changes, and any potential leaks or defects in the vessel's structure.

4. How accurate is the theoretical pressure decay compared to actual pressure decay?

The accuracy of the theoretical pressure decay depends on the accuracy of the initial measurements and assumptions made in the calculation. In real-world scenarios, the actual pressure decay may vary due to external factors such as environmental conditions and human error.

5. Why is it important to understand the theoretical pressure decay of a pressurised vessel?

Understanding the theoretical pressure decay of a pressurised vessel is crucial for ensuring the safety and integrity of the vessel. By monitoring and predicting the pressure decay, potential issues or hazards can be identified and addressed before they become a major problem.