Are Nicolas Gisin's Intuitionist Mathematics Theories Compatible with SR and GR?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theories of Swiss Physicist Nicolas Gisin and his arguments about intuitionist mathematics. The conversation also touches on the idea of reconciling these theories with more fundamental theories like SR and GR. The group agrees that there is no scientific utility in Gisin's line of reasoning and that it may not have much success with the GR community. They also discuss the potential issues with speculative ideas and the difficulty in predicting which ones will be successful.
lektroon
Hello,

As a layman in physics, I wonder the ideas of people who have more knowledge in physics than I do about the theories of Swiss Physicist Nicolas Gisin and his arguments about the intuitionist mathematics. Is there a way to reconcile these ideas with more fundamental theories like SR and GR?

Kind Regards,

Likes gentzen and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have some references?

lektroon said:
As a layman in physics, I wonder the ideas of people who have more knowledge in physics than I do about the theories of Swiss Physicist Nicolas Gisin and his arguments about the intuitionist mathematics. Is there a way to reconcile these ideas with more fundamental theories like SR and GR?
[This thread probably belongs in the Interpretations and Foundations subforum.] Here's a reference I looked at. Admittedly, the only reason I even looked at this is because of Gisin's name. @lektroon I find it hard to believe you are a layman.

Indeterminism in Physics and Intuitionistic Mathematics

There really is no scientific utility in his line of reasoning. And he's probably not likely to have much success with the GR side of the community. I do find it interesting, as I generally reject the idea that the future is predetermined (as he does). And probably for some of the same reasons as he. But the following are issues for me in papers like this:

a) There is no specific prediction for something to be investigated or tested.
b) There are so many speculative ideas out there that can be said to hold "promise"; and yet only the rare few really do produce. No one really knows what "promising" ideas will lead to something worthy - if only more time were to be invested. So why "bet" on this one?

However... I think the paper is worth reading though - if nothing else for a section I would never have imagined to read in any paper. Keep in mind I am not a mathematician, and many of you may know this formula/idea already. His formula (5), coupled with footnote [16] at bottom of page, caught my eye. It allows one to calculate any digit of π without needing to calculate any prior digits.

His point is that an infinite series such as π must really be predetermined, and cannot therefore truly be random (as it might otherwise appear - I always thought π appeared to yield a random number sequence). He contrasts that (predetermination and the mere appearance of randomness) with the idea that our observable universe must have a different kind of randomness being injected into it.

That different kind precluding any possibility that the future is predetermined (i.e. there is no way to "calculate" the future, regardless of how much you know about the present). His footnote [17]:

In an indeterministic world the weather in both one and two years’ time is, today, undetermined. In two years time it will be determined. However, first the weather in one year from now will be determined. This is in strong contrast to the bits of π that can be accessed - and are thus determined - without first accessing the previous ones.

Pretty esoteric stuff. I think it's 4:20 somewhere... :biggrin:

Likes vanhees71, gentzen, PeroK and 1 other person
DrChinese said:
[This thread probably belongs in the Interpretations and Foundations subforum.]
Quite possibly it does, but we need some specific references from the OP to be sure.

Likes DrChinese
PeterDonis said:
Quite possibly it does, but we need some specific references from the OP to be sure.
That is perfectly fine by me. However, IDK how to move it.

DrChinese said:
[This thread probably belongs in the Interpretations and Foundations subforum.] Here's a reference I looked at. Admittedly, the only reason I even looked at this is because of Gisin's name. @lektroon I find it hard to believe you are a layman.

Indeterminism in Physics and Intuitionistic Mathematics

There really is no scientific utility in his line of reasoning. And he's probably not likely to have much success with the GR side of the community. I do find it interesting, as I generally reject the idea that the future is predetermined (as he does). And probably for some of the same reasons as he. But the following are issues for me in papers like this:

a) There is no specific prediction for something to be investigated or tested.
b) There are so many speculative ideas out there that can be said to hold "promise"; and yet only the rare few really do produce. No one really knows what "promising" ideas will lead to something worthy - if only more time were to be invested. So why "bet" on this one?

However... I think the paper is worth reading though - if nothing else for a section I would never have imagined to read in any paper. Keep in mind I am not a mathematician, and many of you may know this formula/idea already. His formula (5), coupled with footnote [16] at bottom of page, caught my eye. It allows one to calculate any digit of π without needing to calculate any prior digits.

His point is that an infinite series such as π must really be predetermined, and cannot therefore truly be random (as it might otherwise appear - I always thought π appeared to yield a random number sequence). He contrasts that (predetermination and the mere appearance of randomness) with the idea that our observable universe must have a different kind of randomness being injected into it.

That different kind precluding any possibility that the future is predetermined (i.e. there is no way to "calculate" the future, regardless of how much you know about the present). His footnote [17]:

In an indeterministic world the weather in both one and two years’ time is, today, undetermined. In two years time it will be determined. However, first the weather in one year from now will be determined. This is in strong contrast to the bits of π that can be accessed - and are thus determined - without first accessing the previous ones.

Pretty esoteric stuff. I think it's 4:20 somewhere... :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply. Gisin actually kind of adapted the ideas of Dutch mathematician, Luitzen Egbertus Jan Brouwer into physics. Therefore, these procedures that you have found "promising" have some basis. Moreover, Gisin is mainly an experimental physicists and he proposed some tests to check his "esoteric assertions" in his other publications rather than the one you shared. He is at least definitely not a crackpot, believe me :)

lektroon said:
Is there a way to reconcile these ideas with more fundamental theories like SR and GR?….
For starters, you may read one of his articles which can be found under the following link:
https://informationphilosopher.com/solutions/scientists/gisin/TimeReallyPasses.pdf
There’s nothing to reconcile here. One is physics and the other is philosophy.

In accordance with the forum rule about philosophical discussions, this thread is closed. As with all thread closures, if you believe that the closure is premature and you have something to add, you can ask any mentor to reopen it.

• Love
Likes topsquark, vanhees71 and Motore

What are Nicolas Gisin's intuitionist mathematics theories?

Nicolas Gisin's intuitionist mathematics theories are a type of mathematical framework that focuses on the concept of intuitionism, which prioritizes the process of mathematical thinking and reasoning rather than the end result.

How do these theories relate to SR and GR?

Gisin's intuitionist mathematics theories are compatible with both special relativity (SR) and general relativity (GR). This is because they are based on the same underlying principles of mathematical thinking and reasoning, which are also present in SR and GR.

What is the significance of this compatibility?

The compatibility between Gisin's intuitionist mathematics theories and SR and GR allows for a deeper understanding and potential integration of these theories. It also highlights the importance of intuitionism in the development of mathematical theories.

Are there any criticisms of this compatibility?

Some critics argue that the compatibility between Gisin's intuitionist mathematics theories and SR and GR is limited, as intuitionism may not fully capture the complexities of these theories. Others argue that intuitionism is too subjective and lacks the rigor of traditional mathematical frameworks.

How does this impact the scientific community?

The compatibility of Gisin's intuitionist mathematics theories with SR and GR has sparked ongoing debates and discussions within the scientific community. It has also opened up new avenues for research and exploration in the field of mathematics and its relationship with physics.