Theory about gravitons and space warping

In summary: This doesn't really make sense. "Field" and "particle" are not two different kinds of things according to our current understanding of quantum field theory. They're just two different names for the same thing. "Field" is the more common name--more specifically, "quantum field"--and "particle" is usually taken to mean a certain type of state of a quantum field. So it doesn't make sense to ask whether anything "is" a field or a particle; at most it might make sense to ask whether a particular physical phenomenon has a useful description in terms of particle-
CallMeDirac
TL;DR Summary
What if gravity is like the Higg's field and boson
We know about the Higg's field and boson, so what if gravity is the same.
There has long been a dispute as to weather gravity is a field or a particle.
Why can't it be like the Higg's boson.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see your query and from my understanding, gravity is a force. We see this in Newtons law, "An object in motion will stay in motion until another force acts upon it." Gravity, along with many others, is considered one of these forces.

Interested user said:
I see your query and from my understanding, gravity is a force. We see this in Newtons law, "An object in motion will stay in motion until another force acts upon it." Gravity, along with many others, is considered one of these forces.

The Higg's boson is a force carrier particle like a Photon, so is the theorized Graviton.

Interested user said:
from my understanding, gravity is a force.

Not in relativity or quantum mechanics, no. In relativity gravity is spacetime curvature, not a force at all. We don't have a good quantum theory of gravity, but the general quantum treatment of "forces" is not the same as the Newtonian one.

CallMeDirac said:
The Higg's boson is a force carrier particle like a Photon, so is the theorized Graviton.

So what is your question? You are evidently aware that there are theoretical models of gravitons. Are you asking what the current status of those models is?

PeterDonis said:
So what is your question? You are evidently aware that there are theoretical models of gravitons. Are you asking what the current status of those models is?

I am wondering why there is such difference between a graviton and a gravity field and why it isn't the same as the Higg's boson and field.

CallMeDirac said:
I am wondering why there is such difference between a graviton and a gravity field

What difference are you talking about?

CallMeDirac said:
why it isn't the same as the Higg's boson and field.

Why do you think it isn't?

PeterDonis said:
What difference are you talking about?
Why do you think it isn't?
I've just always heard that there is an argument as to weather gravity is a field or a particle. I was wondering why it's never presented as the same as the Higg's boson and field

Congrats by the way on the hall of legends by the way

Last edited:
CallMeDirac said:
I've just always heard that there is an argument as to weather gravity is a field or a particle. I was wondering why it's never presented as the same as the Higg's boson and field

Asking if gravity is a field or a particle is like asking if electromagnetism is a field or a particle, and the answer is that it is a field whose excitations are quantized and are called photons. The problem with gravity, if my understanding is correct, is that it is much more self-interacting. That is, excitations in the gravitational field, which we would call gravitons, have energy, which means they have mass, which means that they all interact with each other since objects with mass interact via gravitation. This self-interaction means there is further energy and mass in the field, which leads to more interaction. And you get stuck with things quickly spiraling out of control into infinities everywhere.

Likes CallMeDirac
CallMeDirac said:
I've just always heard...

Where? Please give a specific reference.

CallMeDirac said:
there is an argument as to weather gravity is a field or a particle.

This doesn't really make sense. "Field" and "particle" are not two different kinds of things according to our current understanding of quantum field theory. They're just two different names for the same thing. "Field" is the more common name--more specifically, "quantum field"--and "particle" is usually taken to mean a certain type of state of a quantum field. So it doesn't make sense to ask whether anything "is" a field or a particle; at most it might make sense to ask whether a particular physical phenomenon has a useful description in terms of particle-like states of quantum fields, or not.

The particular issue with gravity is that we don't have a good quantum theory for it, whereas we do have one for the other known interactions (strong, weak, electromagnetic, all well described by the Standard Model). We know it is mathematically possible to construct a quantum field theory for a massless, spin-2 field; this field would be the "graviton" field, and particle-like states of it would be "gravitons". And the field equation for this theory, in the classical limit, is the Einstein Field Equation of General Relativity, so mathematically this quantum field theory would be a natural extension of GR to a QFT, just as quantum electrodynamics is the natural extension of classical Maxwell electrodynamics to a QFT (the field equation of QED in the classical limit is Maxwell's Equations).

However, the QFT of a massless spin-2 field just described is not renormalizable (unlike QED and the rest of the Standard Model, which is), and any quantum effects it predicts for gravity would not be observable unless we could do experiments at the Planck scale, which we can't now and won't be able to for the foreseeable future. So this theory doesn't really offer any hope of being a useful quantum theory of gravity.

Furthermore, this QFT is a QFT on a background flat spacetime, which ends up predicting that that background flat spacetime is unobservable; the observable spacetime geometry is the curved spacetime geometry described by the classical limit of the theory (which, as noted, is just GR). It would be much nicer to have a quantum theory that just gave us curved spacetime GR directly as a classical limit, without having to make any assumptions at all about a background spacetime. This is the sort of theory that efforts like loop quantum gravity are working on.

CallMeDirac said:
I was wondering why it's never presented as the same as the Higg's boson and field

Because none of the issues I described above arise at all for the Higgs boson and the Higgs field. The Higgs field and the Higgs boson are perfectly well described by the current Standard Model.

CallMeDirac said:
Congrats by the way on the hall of legends

Thanks!

Likes CallMeDirac
CallMeDirac said:
There has long been a dispute as to weather gravity is a field or a particle.
CallMeDirac said:
... as to weather gravity ...

I think you mean "whether".

PeroK said:
I think you mean "whether".
I always mix weather and whether as wheather. lol

1. What is the theory about gravitons?

The theory about gravitons is a hypothetical concept in physics that proposes the existence of a subatomic particle, the graviton, which is responsible for the force of gravity. It is a part of the larger theory of quantum gravity, which aims to merge the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

2. How do gravitons interact with matter?

According to the theory, gravitons would interact with matter through the exchange of virtual particles. This means that they would constantly be emitted and absorbed by particles with mass, creating the force of gravity between them.

3. Can gravitons be detected?

As of now, gravitons have not been directly detected. This is because they are predicted to be extremely low in energy and therefore difficult to observe. However, scientists are working on experiments, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), that may be able to indirectly detect the presence of gravitons.

4. How does the theory of space warping relate to gravitons?

The theory of space warping, or the bending of space and time, is closely related to the concept of gravitons. In this theory, the presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars, creates a curvature in space-time that is responsible for the force of gravity. Gravitons are thought to be the particles that mediate this curvature.

5. What are the implications of the theory of gravitons and space warping?

If the theory of gravitons and space warping is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would provide a more complete explanation of the force of gravity and could potentially lead to the development of new technologies, such as advanced propulsion systems for space travel.