Theory of Relativity: Light, Mass & Gravitational Lensing

In summary: What happens is that the prism changes the direction of the light waves so that they come out of the prism at different times, but they're still traveling in a straight line.
richard lareva
If light is pure energy, then how can gravitational lensing work? And if light has some mass, how can it change directions instantly when it is traveling through a prism? My high school science teacher had no answer 45 years ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
richard lareva said:
If light is pure energy,
It is not. There is no such thing as "pure energy".

Gravitational lensing works by light signals taking what amounts to the straightest possible path in a curved space-time. This works exactly the same for massive test particles except that their straight paths have slightly different properties.

Also note that mass is not what gravity couples to in general relativity. In GR, gravity couples to energy, momentum, and stress. Only in the non-relativistic limit where the large majority of all energy is due to an object's mass is the mass contribution to the energy the dominant source and the other sources can be neglected.

Orodruin said:
It is not. There is no such thing as "pure energy".

Gravitational lensing works by light signals taking what amounts to the straightest possible path in a curved space-time. This works exactly the same for massive test particles except that their straight paths have slightly different properties.

Also note that mass is not what gravity couples to in general relativity. In GR, gravity couples to energy, momentum, and stress. Only in the non-relativistic limit where the large majority of all energy is due to an object's mass is the mass contribution to the energy the dominant source and the other sources can be neglected.
Thank you for this answer. Obviously, My high school understanding of physics from back in the 70's is way outdated. I have been reading every science magazine I could find for 50 years and I have not gained as much as I thought I did. Time to go back to the basics.

richard lareva said:
If light is pure energy, then how can gravitational lensing work?

Many authors do say that light is pure energy. What they mean is that its energy is all kinetic because unlike other types of matter it can have no rest energy. That is a loose way of speaking that leads to misconceptions. Energy is a property of naturally-occurring things, and light is one of those things.

And if light has some mass, how can it change directions instantly when it is traveling through a prism? My high school science teacher had no answer 45 years ago.

Mass is not a requirement for participation in gravity. The idea that you have to have mass to be effected by gravity is part of the Newtonian approximation. Most of a high school physics class and a freshman-level introductory college physics course is spent studying that approximation.

The instantaneous change in direction of a light beam entering a prism or lens is part of an approximation known as the ray model. Again, it's the model taught in those classes mentioned above.

These models are used with great success by many physicists, engineers, technicians, and other professionals. For example, the ray model works perfectly well for opticians, so that's what they use.

Physics is a process of developing a series of more and more refined models. How well they describe Nature's behavior is the test of their utility. None of those models are perfect in the sense that they each have limits of validity.

Likes Battlemage! and Dale
richard lareva said:
If light is pure energy, then how can gravitational lensing work?
I also had a question regarding the bending of light in GR here if you want to check it out.
richard lareva said:
And if light has some mass, how can it change directions instantly when it is traveling through a prism?
Light doesn't have mass.

1. What is the Theory of Relativity?

The Theory of Relativity is a set of two theories developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. The first theory, known as Special Relativity, explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. The second theory, General Relativity, extends this understanding to include the effects of gravity.

2. How does the Theory of Relativity relate to light?

The Theory of Relativity states that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and is the fastest speed possible. This means that no object with mass can ever reach the speed of light. Additionally, the theory explains how light is affected by gravity, showing that it can be bent or distorted by massive objects.

3. What is mass-energy equivalence and how does it relate to the Theory of Relativity?

Mass-energy equivalence is a concept developed by Einstein that states that energy and mass are interchangeable and can be converted from one form to another. This is expressed in the famous equation E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This concept is a fundamental principle of the Theory of Relativity.

4. What is gravitational lensing and how does it support the Theory of Relativity?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon where the light from a distant object is bent by the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a black hole. This effect is predicted by the Theory of Relativity and has been observed and studied by scientists. Gravitational lensing provides evidence for the theory and helps to further our understanding of gravity.

5. How has the Theory of Relativity impacted our understanding of the universe?

The Theory of Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has led to major advancements in physics and cosmology. It has helped to explain the behavior of objects at extremely high speeds and in the presence of gravity, and has provided a framework for understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. Many modern technologies, such as GPS systems, also rely on the principles of the Theory of Relativity.