Thermal Efficiency in an Ideal Diesel cycle.

In summary, the thermal efficiency of a Diesel engine that uses helium is higher than an engine that does not use helium.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Helium in an ideal Diesel cycle is compressed from 4 L to 0.25 L, and then it expands during the constant pressure heat addition process to 0.50 L. Under air standard conditions, the thermal efficiency of this cycle is:

a) 79.5%
b) 20.5%
c) 61.4%
d) 67.4%
e) 84.3%

Homework Equations

$$\eta_{TH}=1-\frac{1}{r^{k-1}}[\frac{r_c^k-1}{k(r_c-1)}]$$
$$r_c = \frac{v_3}{v_2}=\frac{0.50L}{0.25L}=2$$
$$r=\frac{v_1}{v_2}=\frac{4}{0.25}=16$$

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem with this question is in the wording. "Under air standard conditions" I typically would use the k value of 1.4, but as it specifically states "Helium" I wonder if I shouldn't use k=1.667.

k=1.667 my answer is 79.5%
k=1.4 my answer is 61.4%

Any help on what the standard operation with this type of wording is would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how helium works in a Diesel engine. But you aren't supposed to worry about that.

I suggest that you just assume that the system consists of only He connnected to hot and cold reservoirs. The cycle is comprised of a constant pressure expansion while connected to the hot reservoir, then an adiabatic expansion, then a constant volume cooling when connected to the cold reservoir, followed by adiabatic compression. Use the efficiency formula for the Diesel using the gamma for He.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I am not sure how helium works in a Diesel engine. But you aren't supposed to worry about that.

I suggest that you just assume that the system consists of only He connnected to hot and cold reservoirs. The cycle is comprised of a constant pressure expansion while connected to the hot reservoir, then an adiabatic expansion, then a constant volume cooling when connected to the cold reservoir, followed by adiabatic compression. Use the efficiency formula for the Diesel using the gamma for He.

AM

Thank you, the gamma was based on Helium. Now I'm going to go build a Diesel Engine that runs on helium... (who writes this stuff?)

Mac

1. What is thermal efficiency in an ideal Diesel cycle?

Thermal efficiency is a measure of the efficiency of the conversion of the energy contained in fuel into mechanical work in an ideal Diesel cycle. It represents the percentage of heat energy supplied to the engine that is converted into useful work.

2. How is thermal efficiency calculated in an ideal Diesel cycle?

Thermal efficiency can be calculated by dividing the net work output of the engine by the heat energy input. In an ideal Diesel cycle, the net work output is equal to the difference between the heat energy input and the heat energy rejected as waste heat.

3. What factors affect the thermal efficiency in an ideal Diesel cycle?

The thermal efficiency in an ideal Diesel cycle is affected by the compression ratio, the amount of fuel injected, the combustion process, and the exhaust gas temperature. Higher compression ratios and more efficient combustion can lead to higher thermal efficiency.

4. What is the ideal thermal efficiency for a Diesel engine?

In an ideal Diesel cycle, the maximum theoretical thermal efficiency is around 60%, but in practical engines, it is typically between 40-50%. This is due to various factors such as heat losses and incomplete combustion.

5. How can the thermal efficiency in an ideal Diesel cycle be improved?

The thermal efficiency in an ideal Diesel cycle can be improved by optimizing the engine design and operation, such as increasing the compression ratio, improving the combustion process, and reducing heat losses. The use of advanced technologies such as turbocharging and waste heat recovery systems can also improve thermal efficiency.