Thermal Expansion - Find Current for Iron, Aluminium & Copper Coils

In summary, thermal expansion can affect the size and shape of coils made of iron, aluminium, and copper. The formula for calculating thermal expansion in coils is ΔL = αLΔT, and the coefficient of thermal expansion differs between these materials. To determine the current for coils based on thermal expansion, you will need to know the original length, coefficient of thermal expansion, and change in temperature. To minimize the effects of thermal expansion on coils, you can use materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion and design coils with smaller lengths or higher melting points.
dazza24383
Hi guys,

I need to find out what current i need to expand different type of coils. eg iron, aluminium, copper, etc. Is there a website that can give me this information? I tried searching but no luck.

Thx
Dazza

Science news on Phys.org
Try searching for the resistivity of those metals. A non ideal inductor (coil) can be modeled as an ideal inductor (zero resistance) in series with a resistor equal in value to the resistance of the length of wire.

Hi Dazza,

I can provide you with some information on thermal expansion and how it relates to different types of coils made from iron, aluminium, and copper.

Thermal expansion is the phenomenon where materials expand in size when heated and contract when cooled. This occurs because heating causes the particles in a material to vibrate faster, increasing the space between them and causing the material to expand.

The amount of expansion a material undergoes is dependent on its coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is a measure of how much a material will expand or contract per degree of temperature change. The CTE for iron is 11.8 x 10^-6 m/mK, aluminium is 23.1 x 10^-6 m/mK, and copper is 16.5 x 10^-6 m/mK.

To find the current needed to expand a coil made from one of these materials, you would need to know the length and cross-sectional area of the coil, as well as the temperature change you want to achieve. Using the CTE, you can then calculate the change in length of the coil and use this to determine the current needed to achieve that expansion.

I would recommend consulting a materials science or engineering textbook for more detailed information on calculating thermal expansion and its relationship to current and coil materials. You can also try searching for online calculators or databases that provide CTE values for different materials.

I hope this helps guide you in your research. Best of luck!

Related to Thermal Expansion - Find Current for Iron, Aluminium & Copper Coils

1. How does thermal expansion affect iron, aluminium, and copper coils?

Thermal expansion is the phenomenon in which a material expands when heated and contracts when cooled. This can cause changes in the size and shape of objects, including coils made of iron, aluminium, and copper.

2. What is the current formula for calculating thermal expansion in coils?

The formula for calculating thermal expansion in coils is: ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length of the coil, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion for the material, L is the original length of the coil, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. How does the coefficient of thermal expansion differ between iron, aluminium, and copper?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts in response to a change in temperature. The coefficient of thermal expansion for iron is 11.8 x 10^-6, for aluminium it is 23.1 x 10^-6, and for copper it is 16.5 x 10^-6. This means that aluminium will expand more than iron or copper when heated.

4. How can I determine the current for iron, aluminium, and copper coils based on thermal expansion?

To determine the current for iron, aluminium, and copper coils based on thermal expansion, you will need to know the original length of the coil, the coefficient of thermal expansion for the material, and the change in temperature. You can then use the formula ΔL = αLΔT to calculate the change in length and determine the current.

5. How can I minimize the effects of thermal expansion on coils?

To minimize the effects of thermal expansion on coils, you can use materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion, such as iron or copper. Additionally, you can design coils with smaller lengths or use materials with higher melting points to reduce the changes in size and shape due to temperature changes.