Thermal expansion of oil overflowing from a tank

Doct3r88
Homework Statement
A waste handling machine requires a cube shaped steel oil tank of side length 100mm to be designed which will be subject to a fluid pressure of 80MN/m². The oil tank as an overflow valve fitted to the top of the tank, the tank is completely filled with oil at an optimum operating temperature of 50°C, under your investigations in the R&D dept it was found that the oil temperature could rise to 78°C depending on the operating time and external environmental temperature. Ignoring the fluid pressure, determine how much oil will overflow from the tank. Take the volumetric coefficient of expansion of the oil as 764 x 10-6 °C -1 and the linear coefficient of expansion of steel as 12 x 10-6 °C -1.
Relevant Equations
∆L=αL_0 ∆T
δV_o=V_o*β*∆T
Just wanted to know if I was barking up the wrong bush or not with my working out if anyone could help?
1700755939266.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You are multiplying the volumetric expansion of the oil by 3. I am not sure why.
It the intention is to convert it from a linear expansion to a volumetric expansion, then it is wrong, because at the bottom of page 1 you are defining it ( ##a_0## ) to be volumetric already.

Last edited:
Ah yes I see what you're saying I think I misread the example given and to go from linear to volumetric I would have had to multiply by 3 thank you. Amended now to get 20.3717mm^3*10^-3.

My doubt was over whether I had gone about working out the expansion of the steel tank correctly or whether I should have converted the steel linear expansion into volumetric then subtracted them from one another.

1. What causes thermal expansion of oil overflowing from a tank?

Thermal expansion occurs when the temperature of a substance increases, causing the molecules to move faster and take up more space. In the case of oil overflowing from a tank, the heat from the surrounding environment causes the oil to expand and overflow from the tank.

2. How does thermal expansion affect the volume of oil in a tank?

As the temperature of the oil increases, its volume also increases due to thermal expansion. This can cause the oil level in the tank to rise and potentially overflow if the tank is not equipped to handle the expanded volume.

3. Can thermal expansion cause damage to the tank or surrounding area?

Yes, if the tank is not designed to accommodate thermal expansion, it can lead to damage such as leaks or ruptures. Additionally, if the overflowing oil comes into contact with heat sources or flammable materials, it can pose a fire hazard.

4. How can thermal expansion of oil be prevented?

One way to prevent thermal expansion of oil is to use a tank with a larger capacity than needed, allowing room for the oil to expand without overflowing. Another option is to use a tank with a vent or overflow valve to release excess oil before it reaches dangerous levels.

5. Is there a way to calculate the amount of thermal expansion in a tank of oil?

Yes, the amount of thermal expansion can be calculated using the coefficient of thermal expansion for the specific type of oil and the change in temperature. This information can then be used to determine the appropriate tank size and design to prevent overflow.