Thermal motion of graphite atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of balancing a quantum pencil and the role of the uncertainty principle and thermal motion in this task. The uncertainty principle prevents perfect balance and the thermal motion of the pencil's graphite lattice also poses a challenge. Cooling the pencil to absolute zero could potentially solve this problem, but this also brings up the issue of the original balancing issue. Additional resources and thoughts on this topic are requested.
petra_egg
Hi everyone, I've been thinking about the quantum pencil, and I can't quite convince myself that you could perfectly balance a perfectly sharpened pencil even if the uncertainty principle went away. For those who are unfamiliar with the problem, you can read about it here: http://thevirtuosi.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-long-can-you-balance-quantum-pencil.html

The idea is that the uncertainty principle prevents you from being able to balance the pencil quite perfectly, and it will balance for no more than 3.5 seconds. It seems to me, though, that the thermal motion of the atom at the tip of the pencil's graphite lattice would also make it impossible to properly balance it. Can anyone share their thoughts/provide me with some resources regarding thermal motion of lattice structures?

Thanks in advance,
P

Physics news on Phys.org
Thermal motion would also make it impossible, right. You could cool it down to absolute zero (not in reality, but an infinitely sharp pencil tip does not exist either) to avoid that. Not with quantum mechanics, but then you are back to the original balancing issue (the calculated uncertainty comes from the thermal ground state in QM!).

1. What is thermal motion?

Thermal motion refers to the random movement of particles in a substance due to their kinetic energy. In simple terms, it is the vibration or movement of atoms and molecules within a material.

2. How does thermal motion affect graphite atoms?

Thermal motion affects graphite atoms by causing them to vibrate and move in random directions. This motion can impact the overall structure and properties of the graphite material.

3. What is the role of temperature in thermal motion of graphite atoms?

Temperature plays a crucial role in thermal motion of graphite atoms. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the atoms also increases, resulting in more vigorous and faster thermal motion.

4. Can thermal motion be observed?

Thermal motion cannot be directly observed as it occurs at the atomic level. However, its effects can be observed through techniques such as X-ray scattering and neutron scattering.

5. How does thermal motion impact the thermal and electrical conductivity of graphite?

Thermal motion can impact the thermal and electrical conductivity of graphite by disrupting the flow of heat and electricity through the material. This is because the random movement of atoms can hinder the transfer of energy between particles.