Thermally Isolated System Equilibrium Properties

In summary, a thermally isolated system consisting of two volumes, V_A = V and V_B = 2V of an ideal gas, separated by a thermally conducting and movable partition, reaches equilibrium with a final temperature of T and a final pressure of P. The change in total internal energy is zero and the change in total entropy can be calculated using the formula S=k_B (lnΩ_1 +lnΩ_2) where Ω is the statistical weight. The final volume in each chamber is Vp/P and (2V)(3p)/P, which must add up to 3V, allowing for the final pressure P to be solved in terms of p.
teme92

Homework Statement

Consider a thermally isolated system consisting of two volumes, ##V_A = V## and ##V_B = 2V## of an ideal gas, separated by a thermally conducting and movable partition. The temperature of the gas in both sides are ##T_A = T_B = T##, and the pressures are ##p_A = p## and ##p_B = 3p## (see Figure). At time ##t = 0##, the partition is allowed to move without the gases mixing. When equilibrium is established:

(a) What is the equilibrium temperature?
(b) What is the equilibrium pressure?
(c) What is the change in total internal energy?
(d) What is the change in the total entropy?

Homework Equations

##q=mC\Delta T##
##pV=Nk_BT##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I said ##q_1=-q_2## and ended up that the equilbrium temp ##T_f=T##.

(b) I used ##pV=Nk_BT## and changed around to get ##p## on its own.

(c) The change in energy is equal to the work done. Therefore:

##W=-\int_{V_1}^{V_2} pdV=-Nk_B T\int_{V_1}^{V_2} \frac{dV}{V} = Nk_B T log\frac{V_1}{V_2}##

(d) I have a formula for change in entropy, ##S=k_B (ln\Omega_1 +ln\Omega_2)## where ##\Omega## is the statistical weight:

##\Omega = \frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}##

However I'm not sure if I just solve out this part of the question and leave it in terms of the ##N## and ##n##. Also if anyone could point out any mistakes in my method for other parts, it would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure that it is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the internal energy of an ideal gas a function of (a) temperature, (b) pressure, or (c) both? If the temperature of an ideal gas does not change, what is its change in internal energy?

If you treat the combination of the two chambers as your system, how much external work is done on this combined system? How much heat is transferred to this combined system if it is "thermally isolated?" From the 1st Law, what is the change in internal energy of this combined system?

Chet

Internal energy is dependent on temperature only so no change in temperature means no change in internal energy.

If its a closed isolated system then there is no external work done on the system. From the first law, ##\Delta Q=\Delta E +\Delta W=0## of there is no heat change. Hence ##\Delta E=-\Delta W##

teme92 said:
Internal energy is dependent on temperature only so no change in temperature means no change in internal energy.

If its a closed isolated system then there is no external work done on the system. From the first law, ##\Delta Q=\Delta E +\Delta W=0## of there is no heat change. Hence ##\Delta E=-\Delta W##
Right, so the change in internal energy of your system is zero, and the change in temperature of your system is zero.
So you know the final temperature is equal to T. If the temperature doesn't change, and the final pressure in both chambers is P at equilibrium, in terms of P, what is the final volume of the gas in each of the two chambers? How is the sum of these final volumes related to the overall volume 3V? So, under this constraint, what is the final pressure P?

Chet

##V=\frac{Nk_B T}{P}##?

teme92 said:
##V=\frac{Nk_B T}{P}##?
Vp/P and (2V)(3p)/P. Do you see where these come from? If so, then you know that these have to add up to 3V. From that constraint, you can solve for the final pressure P in terms of p.

(If you need to, first find the number of molecules of gas in each chamber from the initial conditions. These do not change because the chambers are sealed.)

Chet

Likes teme92
teme92:

I'm surprised you haven't responded on this thread. The interesting part of this problem is getting the change in entropy of the system.

Chet

Likes teme92
Hey Chet, I got a class mate to help me with the problem so all was well. Thanks for the help.

What is a thermally isolated system?

A thermally isolated system is a closed system in which no heat is allowed to enter or escape. This means that the system is unable to exchange energy with its surroundings in the form of heat.

How does a thermally isolated system work?

A thermally isolated system works by using insulation or barriers to prevent the transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings. This allows the system to maintain a constant temperature and conserve its energy.

What are some examples of thermally isolated systems?

Some examples of thermally isolated systems include a thermos, a refrigerator, and a vacuum flask. These systems are designed to minimize heat transfer and maintain a specific temperature inside.

What is the purpose of a thermally isolated system?

The purpose of a thermally isolated system is to maintain a constant temperature and prevent heat from entering or escaping. This is important in many scientific experiments and processes that require precise control of temperature.

What are the benefits of using a thermally isolated system?

Using a thermally isolated system allows for more accurate and consistent results in scientific experiments and processes. It also helps to conserve energy and reduce heat loss, which can be beneficial for both economic and environmental reasons.