How Does Compressibility Chart Predict Final Pressure in a Heated Rigid Vessel?

• Thread starter MEAHH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, to find the final pressure of ethane in a rigid vessel being heated from 50 psia and 100 F to 600 F, you will need to use the compressibility chart to find the compressibility factor for the final state and then use the equation P = ZPcr to calculate the final pressure.
MEAHH
Thermo Help! Compressbility

Homework Statement

Ethane in a rigid vessel is to be heated from 50 psia and 100 F until its temperature is 600 F. What is the final pressure of the ethane as predicted by the compressibility chart?

Homework Equations

Pr=P/Pcr
Tr=T/Tcr
Pv=zRT

The Attempt at a Solution

this is a constant volume process.
I found the z for the first state to be 0.95
I don't understant hoe to find the final pressure, i tried to solve 2 Pv=RT equations to get

z1T1/P1=z2T2/P2 but i am unable to find the second z factor so i am unable to solve for p2 and i going about this right

Physics news on Phys.org
? No, you should not be solving this using the ideal gas law. Instead, you should look up the compressibility factor of ethane on a compressibility chart and use it to find the final pressure. The compressibility factor is determined by the temperature and pressure of the gas, so you will need to look up the compressibility factor for the final state of 600 F and 50 psia. The final pressure can then be determined using the equation P = ZPcr, where Pcr is the critical pressure of ethane (47.7 psi).

?I would respond by saying that the compressibility chart is a useful tool in predicting the final pressure of a gas undergoing a temperature change in a rigid vessel. However, in this specific scenario, there are some missing variables that would be needed to accurately calculate the final pressure. For example, the specific gas constant for ethane would be needed to solve the second Pv=RT equation. Additionally, the compressibility chart may not be accurate for extreme temperature changes, as it is typically based on experimental data at standard conditions. Therefore, it would be best to consult other sources or perform further calculations to accurately determine the final pressure of the ethane in this scenario.

Related to How Does Compressibility Chart Predict Final Pressure in a Heated Rigid Vessel?

1. What is thermal compressibility?

Thermal compressibility is a measure of how much a substance's volume changes in response to changes in temperature. It is often denoted by the symbol α and is the inverse of the substance's bulk modulus.

2. How is thermal compressibility calculated?

Thermal compressibility is calculated by taking the ratio of the change in volume to the change in temperature, multiplied by the original volume. This can be expressed mathematically as α = -(1/V)(∂V/∂T).

3. What are some factors that affect thermal compressibility?

Some factors that can affect thermal compressibility include the type of substance, the temperature range being considered, and the external pressure applied to the substance. Generally, substances with weaker intermolecular forces and higher temperatures will have higher thermal compressibility.

4. How does thermal compressibility relate to thermal expansion?

Thermal compressibility and thermal expansion are closely related, as they both describe how a substance's volume changes in response to temperature changes. However, thermal compressibility specifically focuses on the change in volume due to changes in temperature, while thermal expansion considers the change in length, area, or volume due to changes in temperature.

5. Why is thermal compressibility important?

Thermal compressibility is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as thermodynamics, materials science, and fluid mechanics. It helps us understand how substances behave under different temperatures and pressures, and can also be used to predict and control the behavior of materials in various applications.