Thermochemical question about the heat of combustion of a hydride

In summary, using the given equation for the combustion of FeTiH2, the heat released by the reaction can be calculated using Hess's Law. However, the heat of formation for FeTiH2 is not readily available, making it difficult to find the exact value of the heat released. The answer provided is - 2.86x10^5 kJ/mol.
pollycampos

Homework Statement

What is the heat released by the complete combustion of 22.4x10^3 litres of FeTiH2 - a fuel used in hydrogen cars -, producing liquid water?

Homework Equations

ΔH°(reaction) = ΔH°f(products) - ΔH°f(reactants)

The Attempt at a Solution

1 mol FeTiH2 - 22,4 L (STP)
x - 22.4x10^3 litres
x = 1000 moles of FeTiH2

I guess the equation for the combustion is:
1000 FeTiH2(g) + 2250 O2(g) = 1000 H2O(l) + 500 Fe2O3(s) + 1000 TiO2(s)

Using the Hess's Law:
ΔH°(reaction) = 1000ΔH°f(H2O,l) + 500ΔH°f(Fe2O3,s) + 1000ΔH°f(TiO2,s)
- 1000ΔH°f(FeTiH2,g) - 2250ΔH°f(O2,g)
ΔH°(reaction) = - 285800 - 824200 - 945000 - 1000ΔH°f(FeTiH2,g) - 0

I'm having trouble finding the heat of formation of FeTiH2. There're some heat of formation around Google, but I haven't found one at 1 atm pressure. So I guess there must be another way to resolve this problem :tongue:

The answer is - 2.86x10^5 kJ/mol

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how FeTiH2 can be gaseous. I expect solid, so the amount given as a volume (without density) doesn't make much sense.

Oh yes, my bad :tongue: But anyway, I can't find the heat of formation :frown:

What is the heat of combustion of a hydride?

The heat of combustion of a hydride refers to the amount of heat released when one mole of the hydride compound is completely burned in excess oxygen, under standard conditions.

Why is the heat of combustion of a hydride important?

The heat of combustion of a hydride is an important thermodynamic property that provides information about the energy released during the combustion process. This information is useful in determining the efficiency of a fuel source and in predicting the products of combustion.

How is the heat of combustion of a hydride measured?

The heat of combustion of a hydride can be measured experimentally using a bomb calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat released during a chemical reaction. Alternatively, it can be calculated using Hess's law, which involves subtracting the enthalpies of formation of the reactants from the products.

What factors can affect the heat of combustion of a hydride?

The heat of combustion of a hydride can be influenced by several factors, such as the molecular structure of the compound, the amount of excess oxygen present, and the temperature and pressure at which the combustion takes place.

How does the heat of combustion of a hydride compare to other fuels?

The heat of combustion of a hydride can vary depending on the specific compound, but in general, it tends to be lower than that of other common fuels such as hydrocarbons. This is because hydrides typically have lower carbon-to-hydrogen ratios, resulting in less energy released per mole of the compound. However, hydrides can still be efficient fuel sources when compared to other non-hydrocarbon alternatives.