Thermodynamic Process: Is Work Conserved?

In summary: Therefore, the total change in internal energy is also zero. In summary, the process consists of two isobaric processes and two isothermal processes, with work from B to C given by WBC=p1(V2-V1). The change in internal energy for the working fluid is zero, making the total change in internal energy also zero.
Ian Baughman
What is wrong with this logic, if any? It does not seem like this should be true but maybe I'm mistaken.

Physics.png

Assuming the process consists of two isobaric processes and two isothermal processes the work from B to C in terms of p1, p2, V1, and V2 is given by the following.

1) WBC=p2(VC-VB)
2) Isothermal from A → B so p1V1 = p2VB so VB=(p1V1)/p2
3) Similarly VC=(p1V2)/p2
4) WBC= p2((p1V2)/p2-(p1V1)/p2)
5) Factor out p1/p2 and simplify the you get;
WBC=p1(V2-V1)​

Likes Charles Link
Science news on Phys.org
Ian Baughman said:
What is wrong with this logic, if any? It does not seem like this should be true but maybe I'm mistaken.

Physics.png

Assuming the process consists of two isobaric processes and two isothermal processes the work from B to C in terms of p1, p2, V1, and V2 is given by the following.

1) WBC=p2(VC-VB)
WBC=p1(V2-V1)​
The isothermal processes have no change in internal energy. for an ideal gas. Much heat must be added to the system in the isobaric expansion for two reasons: 1)work is being done as it expands 2) It is going to a higher temperature state. In the isobaric compression, much heat must be removed from the system for two reasons 1) The system is going to a lower temperature 2) Work is being done on the system. The energy from this work must also be removed by removing heat. I do think your calculations are correct. Thermodynamic problems can sometimes be tricky, but I believe you analyzed it correctly.

Likes Ian Baughman
It should also be noted that you can readily compute ## \Delta Q=\Delta W ## for each of the two isotherms, since each has ## \Delta U=0 ##. ## \\ ## Meanwhile ## \Delta U ## for each of the isobars will be ## \Delta U=\frac{3}{2}nR \Delta T ## for an ideal monatomic gas, and ## \Delta U=\frac{5}{2}nR \Delta T ## for an ideal diatomic gas (where ## \Delta T=\Delta (PV)/(nR) ##). You can thereby readily compute ## \Delta Q ## for each of the isobars, if you know the type of gas. ## \\ ## I think I have this completely correct, but it's always good to have someone double-check the solution. @Chestermiller Did we get everything correct?

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
It should also be noted that you can readily compute ## \Delta Q=\Delta W ## for each of the two isotherms, since each has ## \Delta U=0 ##. ## \\ ## Meanwhile ## \Delta U ## for each of the isobars will be ## \Delta U=\frac{3}{2}nR \Delta T ## for an ideal monatomic gas, and ## \Delta U=\frac{5}{2}nR \Delta T ## for an ideal diatomic gas (where ## \Delta T=\Delta (PV)/(nR) ##). You can thereby readily compute ## \Delta Q ## for each of the isobars, if you know the type of gas. ## \\ ## I think I have this completely correct, but it's always good to have someone double-check the solution. @Chestermiller Did we get everything correct?

Since this is a thermodynamic cycle with the final state being identical to the initial state would the total change in internal energy be equal to zero?

Ian Baughman said:
Since this is a thermodynamic cycle with the final state being identical to the initial state would the total change in internal energy be equal to zero?
Yes. And if you will notice, for the two isotherms ## \Delta U=0 ## and for the transitions on the two isobars, ## \Delta U_1=-\Delta U_2 ##. ## \\ ## Editing... perhaps we haven't proved yet that ## \Delta (PV) ## is equal and opposite for these two cases...but that is obvious because on one isotherm, ## PV=nRT_1 ## and on the other isotherm ## PV=nRT_2 ##.Thereby ## \Delta (PV)=nR \Delta T ## and ## \Delta U=\frac{3}{2} nR \Delta T ## or ## \Delta U=\frac{5}{2} nR \Delta T ##.

Ian Baughman said:

Physics.png

1) WBC=p2(VC-VB)
WBC=p1(V2-V1)​
Yes. So...

And yes, since this a thermodynamic cycle, the change in internal energy for the working fluid has to be zero.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a thermodynamic process?

A thermodynamic process is a physical phenomenon that involves the transfer of energy in the form of heat or work between a system and its surroundings. It can also refer to a series of steps that a system undergoes to change its state.

2. What is work in a thermodynamic process?

In a thermodynamic process, work refers to the transfer of energy from one system to another through mechanical means. This can include pushing, pulling, or lifting an object, or using a machine such as a turbine to convert energy into work.

3. How is work conserved in a thermodynamic process?

According to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of work in a closed thermodynamic system remains constant, as long as no energy is added or removed from the system.

4. What factors affect the conservation of work in a thermodynamic process?

The conservation of work in a thermodynamic process is affected by several factors, including the type of process (adiabatic, isothermal, etc.), the efficiency of the system, and the amount of energy lost to friction or other external factors.

5. Why is it important to consider the conservation of work in thermodynamic processes?

The conservation of work is important in thermodynamics because it allows us to predict and calculate the changes in energy and states of a system. It also helps us understand the efficiency and limitations of various processes, which is crucial in fields such as engineering and energy production.