Work done BY the gas in a cyclic thermodynamic process

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by the gas in a cycle, and whether or not the work done by the system needs to be subtracted from the solution. It is clarified that for the complete cycle, the work done by the gas for all four legs needs to be added together, which is why P2 is necessary. The question is then clarified to be asking for the net work done by the gas in the entire cycle.
Aletag
Homework Statement
What is the work done by the gas in the cycle shown below?
Relevant Equations
V1=3L, V2=5L, P1=1atm, =P2=2atm
image8.png
Since the assignment asks the work done by the gas, that should be equal to P1*(V2-V1) aka the area under the P1 line. Do I have to subtract the work done to the system or is this the solution already? If so, why do I need P2?

Physics news on Phys.org
P1*(V2-V1) is the work done by the gas only for the leg of the cycle from V1 to V2. For the complete cycle you must add to this the work done by the gas for the other three legs. That's why you need P2.

I get what you are saying and I see the emphasis in the title of the post on the word “BY”, but I suspect you need to read the question as what NET work is done by the gas. Sure, maybe they could have specified explicitly, but that is not an unreasonable way to ask the question particularly when they say “in the cycle”. That is going to mean “net” (i.e. all the way around the cycle) every time.

What is work done by the gas in a cyclic thermodynamic process?

In a cyclic thermodynamic process, the work done by the gas refers to the amount of energy transferred to the surroundings by the gas as it undergoes a complete cycle. This can be calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final internal energies of the gas.

How is the work done by the gas related to the pressure and volume of the gas?

The work done by the gas is directly proportional to the pressure and volume of the gas. This means that as the pressure or volume increases, the work done by the gas also increases. This relationship is described by the equation W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is change in volume.

Can the work done by the gas be negative?

Yes, the work done by the gas can be negative. This occurs when the gas is compressed, causing a decrease in volume and a decrease in the amount of energy transferred to the surroundings. In this case, the work done by the gas is considered to be negative.

How does the work done by the gas affect the efficiency of a cyclic thermodynamic process?

The work done by the gas is an important factor in determining the efficiency of a cyclic thermodynamic process. The efficiency of such a process is defined as the ratio of the work done by the gas to the heat supplied to the gas. Therefore, the greater the work done by the gas, the higher the efficiency of the process.

What is the role of work done by the gas in the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The work done by the gas is one of the ways in which energy is transferred during a cyclic thermodynamic process, and therefore plays a crucial role in the first law of thermodynamics.