Thermodynamics: calculating work question

In summary, The values of q, w, ΔU, ΔH for a constant pressure process for a system containing 0.596 moles of CH3OH are -24188.775 J, +1962.36 J, -22226.415 J, and -22226.415 J, respectively. The molar heat capacities for CH3OH(g) and CH3OH(l) are 44.1 J K−1 mol−1 and 81.1 J K−1 mol−1, respectively. The enthalpy of vaporization, ΔvapH, is 35.2 kJ mol−1 at 64.7 ºC and 1.00 atm. The
jybe
1. Homework Statement

What are the values of q, w, ΔU, ΔH for the following constant pressure process for a system containing 0.596 moles of CH3OH ?

CH3OH(g, 123.0 ºC, 1.00 atm) ⟶ CH3OH(l, 30.0 ºC, 1.00 atm)Molar heat capacity for CH3OH(g), Cp,m = 44.1 J K−1 mol−1

Molar heat capacity for CH3OH(l), Cp,m = 81.1 J K−1 mol−1

Enthalpy of vaporization, ΔvapH = 35.2 kJ mol−1 at 64.7 ºC and 1.00 atmCalculate:

q (done)

w (work)

ΔH (done)

ΔU (change in internal energy)

Homework Equations

w = -Pext(ΔV) -- following the convention that a +ve answer for work means a compression

ΔU = q + work

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated q and ΔH to be -24188.775 (they are the same because it's constant pressure).

The problem I'm having is calculating work, because I don't have the change in volume. I think there's some sort of variation of pv = nrt involving the change in moles of gas, but I keep getting it wrong.

Can somebody help me out? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In determining the change in volume, it is valid to neglect the volume of the condensed liquid compared to the original volume of superheated vapor. Using the ideal gas law, what is the original volume of superheated vapor?

Chestermiller said:
In determining the change in volume, it is valid to neglect the volume of the condensed liquid compared to the original volume of superheated vapor. Using the ideal gas law, what is the original volume of superheated vapor?

The original volume of gas is:
v= nrt/p

v = (0.596 mol)*(0.082058 atmL/(k*mol))*(123 + 173 K) all over 1 atm of pressure

v = 19.367 L initially of gas

So, what's ##p\Delta V## equal to?

Chestermiller said:
So, what's ##p\Delta V## equal to?

It is equal to 1 atm * 19.367 L

So to convert 19.367 atm*L to joules, I will multiply by 101.325 J

so work is equal to +1962.36 J ?

Edit: so to get the change in internal energy I just simply add work to q

jybe said:
It is equal to 1 atm * 19.367 L

So to convert 19.367 atm*L to joules, I will multiply by 101.325 J

so work is equal to +1962.36 J ?

Edit: so to get the change in internal energy I just simply add work to q
Yes. I would do it using ##\Delta H=\Delta U+\Delta (PV)## (which gives the same answer).

Chestermiller said:
Yes. I would do it using ##\Delta H=\Delta U+\Delta (PV)## (which gives the same answer).
Thank you so much! Not sure why I was even having trouble with this.

1. What is work in thermodynamics?

Work in thermodynamics is the transfer of energy from one system to another. It is the result of a force acting on a body and causing it to move in the direction of the force. In thermodynamics, work is often expressed as the product of force and displacement.

2. How is work calculated in thermodynamics?

The formula for calculating work in thermodynamics is W = F * d * cosθ, where W is work, F is the force applied, d is the distance the force is applied over, and θ is the angle between the force and the displacement. This formula can also be written as W = P * V, where P is pressure and V is volume.

3. What are the different types of work in thermodynamics?

There are three types of work in thermodynamics: mechanical work, electrical work, and chemical work. Mechanical work is the result of a force acting on a system and causing it to move, electrical work is the result of a potential difference causing a current to flow, and chemical work is the result of chemical reactions causing a change in energy.

4. How does work relate to energy in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is a form of energy. It is the transfer of energy from one system to another. Work can be done on a system to increase its energy (positive work), or work can be done by a system and decrease its energy (negative work). Overall, work is a crucial component of the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy is conserved.

5. Can work be negative in thermodynamics?

Yes, work can be negative in thermodynamics. This occurs when a system does work on its surroundings, causing a decrease in the system's energy. For example, when a gas expands and pushes a piston, the gas does work on the surroundings, and the work is negative. Negative work is often referred to as work done by the system, while positive work is work done on the system.