Thermodynamics College Project

In summary, a user on the forum is seeking help with their project to create a WaterCooled Computer and study the thermodynamic phenomena within the PC. They are in the second year of a scientific preparatory school and are looking for guidance on how to approach the subject. The project's theme is optimization and the user is considering using oil instead of water for better conduction. They have asked for an update on the project's progress and any current problems.
mEnthalpy
Hi there,

After spending a lot of time reading topics on the forum, and knowing that I have a TIPE( Project in French Prep School Prior to entering engineering big schools) to do for the year (I am in 2nd year of scientific preparatory school ( So i am 19 )) I decided to launch a project to create a WaterCooled Computer and study the thermodynamic phenomena within the PC, ie d: How does it really work ??! ( Thermal Exchanges, Work Etc..)

For the moment I still have fuzzy ideas to approach the subject, I was hoping i could get some help from people in the forum especially on how to approach the subject.

Anyway, tell me what you think of the project as the theme of the year is (optimality: Choice, Constraints, Random) in my case, i will try o optimize the PC to reach low cpu, gpu temperatures..
Sorry for my english..

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
It might be easier to use oil instead of water, since water is a better conductor.

fresh_42 said:
It might be easier to use oil instead of water, since water is a better conductor.

I don't get it, our goal is to have maximum conduction to transfer the maximum amount of heat out of the cpu and the computer case, so why choose oil ?

Several months have passed since your previous posting . If your project is still being worked on then please tell us about your progress and current problems .

Related to Thermodynamics College Project

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and their relationship to work. It explains how energy is transformed from one form to another and how it affects the properties of matter.

2. What is the purpose of a thermodynamics college project?

The purpose of a thermodynamics college project is to apply the principles and laws of thermodynamics to a real-world problem or scenario. It allows students to gain practical experience and deepen their understanding of the subject.

3. What are some common topics for a thermodynamics college project?

Common topics for a thermodynamics college project include heat transfer, thermodynamic cycles, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and combustion engines. Students can also choose to focus on specific applications such as solar energy, biofuels, or energy storage systems.

4. What are the key components of a successful thermodynamics college project?

A successful thermodynamics college project should have a clear research question, a well-defined scope, and a thorough analysis of data. It should also include a detailed methodology, accurate calculations, and a comprehensive conclusion that ties back to the original research question.

5. How can thermodynamics college projects contribute to scientific advancements?

Thermodynamics college projects can contribute to scientific advancements by providing new insights and solutions to real-world problems related to energy and heat transfer. They also allow for experimentation and data collection, which can lead to further advancements in the field.