Thermodynamics Combustion to find the air/fuel ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of a solid fuel and the determination of the air/fuel ratio by mass. The combustion equation and element atoms are discussed, and the value of Y is calculated using the dry volumetric analysis of the combustion products. The 0.01 kg of un-burnt carbon is included in the equation for carbon balance to determine the value of a.
Perspex1.2

Homework Statement

A solid fuel supplied to a furnace had the following composition by mass.
Carbon: 86%
Hydrogen: 5%
Oxygen:4%
Incombustibles: 5%

Dry volumetric analysis of the combustion products showed the flue gas contained 15%
and 1.5% of CO2 and CO respectively. The test on the ashes discharged from the furnace
found 0.01 kg of un-burnt carbon per kilogram of the fuel supplied to the furnace.

Determine the air/fuel ratio by mass.

ANSWER is 12.67 if this helps

2. The attempt at a solution

So firstly I write out the combustion equation:

(0.86/12)C + (0.05/2)H2 + (0.06/32)O2 + 0.05ASH + Y(02 + 3.76 N2) = aCO2 + bH20 + d02 + fN2 + 0.05ASH

Firstly is the combustion equation correct?

When I equate the element atoms I have too many variables missing:

a=(0.86/12)
b=(0.05/2)
O: (0.06/32)×2 + 2Y = 2a + b + 2d
N: (3.76Y)×2 = 2f

How do I calculate the value of Y and what do I do with the 0.01 kg of un-burnt carbon?

I would very much appreciate any help with this question. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To calculate the value of Y, you can use the information given in the dry volumetric analysis of the combustion products. Since the flue gas contains 15% CO2 and 1.5% CO, we can assume that the remaining 83.5% is N2. Therefore, we can set up the following equation:

0.835 = 3.76Y + 2d

You can solve for Y using this equation and then use it in the equations for O and N to solve for the other variables.

As for the 0.01 kg of un-burnt carbon, you can include it in the equation for carbon balance:

0.86 = a + 0.01

This will give you the value of a, which you can then use in the other equations to solve for the remaining variables.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the air/fuel ratio in thermodynamics combustion?

The air/fuel ratio in thermodynamics combustion refers to the ratio of the amount of air (oxygen) to the amount of fuel (typically a hydrocarbon) that is required for complete combustion to occur. It is typically represented as the mass ratio of air to fuel, and is a critical factor in determining the efficiency and emissions of a combustion process.

2. How is the air/fuel ratio determined in combustion processes?

The air/fuel ratio is determined based on the specific fuel being used and the desired combustion conditions. This can be calculated using various equations and models, or it can be measured directly using specialized equipment such as oxygen sensors.

3. What is the ideal air/fuel ratio for efficient combustion?

The ideal air/fuel ratio for efficient combustion varies depending on the type of fuel and the specific combustion process. In general, a stoichiometric ratio (where there is just enough air to completely burn all of the fuel) is considered the ideal for optimal efficiency. However, in some cases, a slightly lean or rich ratio may be used for specific purposes such as reducing emissions.

4. How does the air/fuel ratio affect the combustion process?

The air/fuel ratio has a significant impact on the combustion process. If there is too much air compared to the amount of fuel, the combustion will be lean and incomplete, resulting in reduced efficiency and increased emissions. On the other hand, if there is too little air, the combustion will be rich and may result in incomplete burning, leading to higher emissions and potential safety hazards.

5. Can the air/fuel ratio be adjusted during the combustion process?

Yes, the air/fuel ratio can be adjusted during the combustion process in some cases. This can be done by controlling the amount of air or fuel being supplied to the combustion chamber, or by adjusting other variables such as temperature or pressure. However, it is important to carefully monitor and control these adjustments to ensure safe and efficient combustion.