Thermodynamics help please -- Air passing through a gas turbine system

In summary, the air passing through the gas turbine system loses 40 kJ of heat per kg passing through the system. The specific volume of the air exiting the system is 1.45m3/kg. The exit area of the turbine system is 0.038m2. The power developed by the turbine system is 10.692 kW.
clark123
Summary:: NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE THIS HOMEWORK PROBLEM WAS MISPLACED IN A REGULAR FORUM

Cant do part c, using the steady flow equation I am confused how to continue. Please help!

Mainly confused as to what heat transfer loss represents in the steady flow equation and where to go to find the power.

Air passes through a gas turbine system at a rate of 4.5kg/s. It enters the turbine system with a velocity of 90 m/s and a specific volume of 0.85m3 /kg. It leaves the turbine system with a specific volume of 1.45m3 /kg. The exit area of the turbine system is 0.038m2 . In its passage through the turbine system, the specific enthalpy of the air is reduced by 200kJ/kg and there is a heat transfer loss of 40kJ/kg.

Determine: a. The inlet area of the turbine in m 2
b. The exit velocity of the air in m/s
c. The power developed by the turbine system in kW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that heat transfer loss refers to heat leaking into the environment.

Like many thermodynamics problems, the place to start is to make an energy balance. Can you do that and post it here? Energy in, energy out, energy lost.

You are learning about the open system (control volume) version of the 1 st law. Please write down that equation as it applies to this steady state problem.

I'd believe the equation is Q - W = M[(Ho-Hin)+(Co^2-Cin^2)/2]
I can interpret it normally but just confused.

clark123 said:
I'd believe the equation is Q - W = M[(Ho-Hin)+(Co^2-Cin^2)/2]
I can interpret it normally but just confused.
Good. Now, how is mass flow rate related to density, velocity, and area?

Mass flow rate is the product of all 3 combined I’m pretty sure.

clark123 said:
Mass flow rate is the product of all 3 combined I’m pretty sure.
Good. If you apply this to the exit cross section, what do you get for the exit velocity?

171.71m/s

Good. So using the equation in post #4, what do you get for W?

That's my main point of confusion, is the heat transfer loss of -40kJ/Kg represented by Q in the formula? Or is it something else?

clark123 said:
That's my main point of confusion, is the heat transfer loss of -40kJ/Kg represented by Q in the formula? Or is it something else?
It represents Q/M

Okay didn't realize that, would you be able to explain why please?

2CQ3.PNG

There is the worked solution they give you, do not understand it at all.

clark123 said:
Okay didn't realize that, would you be able to explain why please?
It's just the way they chose to do it. Nothing wrong with that.

clark123 said:
There is the worked solution they give you, do not understand it at all.
Yes. They did a nice job. That was the answer I got.

If possible, would you be able to do some more detailed workings out with explanations as I cannot see where they have gone so quickly, take a photo and put it in here? No worries if not!

clark123 said:
If possible, would you be able to do some more detailed workings out with explanations as I cannot see where they have gone so quickly, take a photo and put it in here? No worries if not!
If I take your equation in post #4 and solve for ##\dot{W}##, I get:
$$\dot{W}=\dot{M}\left[\frac{\dot{Q}}{\dot{M}}-(h_{out}-h_{in})-\frac{(c_{out}^2-c_{in}^2)}{2}\right]$$
with $$\frac{\dot{Q}}{\dot{M}}=-40\ \frac{kJ}{kg}$$
$$(h_{out}-h_{in})=-200\ \frac{kJ}{kg}$$
and $$\frac{(c_{out}^2-c_{in}^2)}{2}=\frac{(171.71^2-90^2)}{2}=10692\ \left(\frac{m}{s}\right)^2=10692\ \frac{J}{kg}=10.692\ \frac{kJ}{kg}$$

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relation to energy and work. It also focuses on the transfer of energy between systems and how it affects their properties.

2. How does air passing through a gas turbine system work?

In a gas turbine system, air is compressed and then mixed with fuel in a combustion chamber. The resulting high-pressure, high-temperature gas expands through a series of turbine blades, driving them and producing mechanical energy. This energy is then used to power generators and produce electricity.

3. What is the role of thermodynamics in a gas turbine system?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in understanding the efficiency and performance of a gas turbine system. It helps to analyze the thermodynamic processes involved, such as compression, combustion, and expansion, and how they affect the energy conversion process.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a gas turbine system?

The efficiency of a gas turbine system is affected by several factors, including the temperature and pressure of the air entering the system, the type and quality of fuel used, the design and condition of the turbine components, and the operating conditions and maintenance of the system.

5. How can thermodynamics principles be applied to improve the performance of a gas turbine system?

By applying thermodynamics principles, engineers can optimize the design and operation of a gas turbine system to improve its efficiency and performance. This can include using advanced materials for turbine components, optimizing the combustion process, and implementing heat recovery systems to maximize energy output.