Thermodynamics: Ideal gas splitting invention problem

In summary, a thermodynamic device is claimed to be able to split a gas stream into hot and cold jets without the use of moving parts, consumables or power supply. It has three proposed modes of operation, but A and B are deemed impossible due to conflicting outputs, while C is possible but needs further calculation to confirm its accuracy.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

4. An inventor would like to patent a thermodynamic device and is making
the following claims:

The device can accept a stream of gas and split it into a hot and cold jet of
the same gas. This device is said to contain no moving parts, consumables, or
power supply and it is claimed to operate in different modes such that it can:

A. accept an ideal gas (e.g. argon) at 4 atm, 20 ◦ C, 2 mol/min and output
one stream of 1 mol/min at 1atm, T=-20 ◦ C and, simultaneously, a second
stream at 1 mol/min, 1atm, T=60 ◦ C

B. accept an ideal gas at 4 atm, 20 ◦ C, 2 mol/min and output one stream
of 1.5 mol/min at 1atm, T=0 ◦ C and, simultaneously, a second stream at
0.5 mol/min, 1atm, T=90 ◦ C

C. accept an ideal gas at 1.1 atm, 20 ◦ C, 2 mol/min and output one stream
of 1.6 mol/min at 1atm, T=-30 ◦ C and, simultaneously, a second stream
at 0.4 mol/min, 1atm, T=220 ◦ C

Which of these claims would you reject? Which ones would you accept and
why?

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law: [tex]PV = Nk_{B}T = nRT [/tex]

Where n= N/Na

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to try and think of a quantity that should remain constant through the process, so that I could calculate it for the initial conditions and for the products and compare.

As the question says there is no power source, fuel etc I would assume that there is no external heat being input into the system and thus it's an adiabatic process. So I tried calculating

[tex] P^{1-\gamma}T^{\gamma} = constant [/tex]

Where for a monatomic ideal gas (such as Argon) [tex]\gamma=\frac{5}{3}[/tex]

However, this plan didn't work out. The values were difficult for A,B and C and I'm sure at least one of the options should be accurate.

Can anyone tell me the flaw in my logic and perhaps point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say A and B are impossible.
For example, A takes as input 4 atm pressure at 20C and outputs the same mass of gas with the pressure reduced to 1 atm. That requires a big drop in temperature.
But the output temperatures claimed average to 20C (the same as the input).

B isn't very different.

C on the other hand looks to be just possible - the average temperature of the output is not far off 20C and the pressure is only slightly different - but you would need to check the calculation accurately, I'm just estimating.

When you say calculation, do you mean the relationship between P and T I quotedor adiabtic processes, or something else.

I found it hard to really judge the relationship between T and P without knowing anything about the volume changes.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and energy and their relationship with work and other forms of energy.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the gas laws perfectly, meaning that it has no intermolecular forces and its particles have negligible volume.

3. What is the "ideal gas splitting invention problem"?

The "ideal gas splitting invention problem" is a hypothetical problem in thermodynamics that involves splitting an ideal gas into two equal parts without changing its temperature or pressure.

4. Why is the "ideal gas splitting invention problem" important?

The "ideal gas splitting invention problem" is important because it demonstrates the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

5. How can the "ideal gas splitting invention problem" be solved?

The "ideal gas splitting invention problem" can be solved using various thermodynamic equations, such as the ideal gas law, and by manipulating the gas through compression, expansion, and heat transfer processes.