Thermodynamics of Reactions with Glucose

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the change in enthalpy and internal energy for a reaction at different temperatures. The individual is overwhelmed with the problem and is seeking guidance on how to approach it. They mention using literature values and Hess's Law to solve for the change in enthalpy at a specific temperature, but are struggling with part b. of the problem. They mention looking for examples and refer to Table 4.1 and 4.2 for guidance.
xsc614

Homework Statement

ps4n2.jpg

Homework Equations

ΔH rxn = ΔH products - ΔH reactants
ΔU = q + w

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty overwhelmed with the entire problem. Since the ΔH's of all reactants and products were in the literature for the reference temperature of 298.15 K, I was able to plug them in and get the value for that temperature. I am not sure how it changes with temperature increase?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps heat capacity(-ies) is the reason where delta T = 298.15 K - 330.15 K.

Ah, okay I was able to the the change in enthalpy for 330.15 K by Hess's law, and adding delta H rxn (298.15K) to the integral of delta Cp dT integrated from To to T.

Now I'm stuck on b. part ii. I can't find any examples anywhere on calculating problems like this and my professor is so highly educated (MIT, Harvard, UPenn) that I can't understand him.

Ahh, any help is appreciated!

It lies somewhere in Table 4.1 and 4.2. That will get you started.

As a scientist, it is important to understand the thermodynamics of reactions involving glucose as it is a key molecule in many biological processes. In this homework problem, the relationship between enthalpy (ΔH) and internal energy (ΔU) is important to consider. The equation ΔU = q + w tells us that internal energy can change due to heat (q) and work (w). In the case of a reaction with glucose, heat can be released or absorbed (exothermic or endothermic) and work can be done on or by the system.

To solve this problem, you correctly used the equation ΔH rxn = ΔH products - ΔH reactants, where ΔH rxn is the change in enthalpy for the reaction. This equation allows us to determine whether the reaction is exothermic or endothermic. However, it is important to note that the values of ΔH for reactants and products may change with temperature. This is because the energy required to break and form chemical bonds can vary with temperature.

To account for this temperature dependence, we can use the equation ΔH(T2) = ΔH(T1) + ΔCp(T2 - T1), where ΔCp is the change in heat capacity of the system between temperatures T1 and T2. This equation allows us to calculate the enthalpy at a different temperature (T2) using the enthalpy at a reference temperature (T1) and the change in heat capacity.

In conclusion, understanding the thermodynamics of reactions involving glucose is essential for understanding the energetics of biological processes. To fully analyze these reactions, it is important to consider the temperature dependence of enthalpy and internal energy.

What is the thermodynamics of reactions with glucose?

The thermodynamics of reactions with glucose refers to the study of energy changes that occur during chemical reactions involving glucose. This includes the transfer of energy between the reactants and products, as well as the overall changes in entropy and free energy.

Why is the study of thermodynamics of reactions with glucose important?

The study of thermodynamics of reactions with glucose is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles that govern chemical reactions in living organisms. Glucose is a vital source of energy for many biological processes, so understanding its thermodynamics is crucial for understanding how these processes work.

What is the role of enzymes in the thermodynamics of reactions with glucose?

Enzymes play a critical role in the thermodynamics of reactions with glucose. They act as catalysts, lowering the activation energy required for a reaction to occur. This allows the reaction to proceed more quickly and with less energy input, making it more thermodynamically favorable.

How do changes in temperature affect the thermodynamics of reactions with glucose?

Changes in temperature can significantly impact the thermodynamics of reactions with glucose. In general, an increase in temperature will lead to an increase in the rate of reaction and a decrease in the overall free energy change. However, extreme changes in temperature can also denature enzymes and disrupt the delicate balance of energy in a reaction.

What are the implications of the thermodynamics of reactions with glucose for living organisms?

The thermodynamics of reactions with glucose have significant implications for living organisms. It helps us understand how they obtain and use energy, and how they maintain a stable internal environment despite constantly changing external conditions. It also has implications for disease and metabolism, as disruptions in glucose metabolism can lead to various health issues.