Thermodynamics: Partial derivatives

In summary, the equation for pressure is valid when the volume is not changing, and can be computed by two partial derivatives. Additionally, pressure is related to the work done on the surroundings by the gas, and can be computed using the Maxwell relationship.
WWCY
Hi all, I have had the following question in my head for quite a while:

Thermodynamic potentials written in differential form look like
$$dU = TdS - PdV$$
and we can obtain equations for say, temperature by doing the following partial
$$T = \frac {\partial U}{\partial S} |_V$$
Does this mean that this equation for temperature is only valid in a system where volume is held fixed? That is to say, can I only use the equation obtained in relation to experiments whereby volume doesn't change throughout?

My intuition tells me that it's not the case, and that it's simply stating that we are doing a partial derivative of ##U## with respect to ##S##, while leaving the ##V## variable untouched. However I keep getting a niggly feeling that I'm wrong.

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
When ## U=U(S,V) ## , for small changes: ## \\ ## ## \Delta U=(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{S}})_V \Delta S+ (\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{V}})_S \Delta V=T \Delta S+(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{V}})_S\Delta V ##. ## \\ ##
When the volume is not fixed, this last equation applies. ## \\ ##
Your question is somewhat puzzling, but maybe this helps answer it.
Also note ## (\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{V}})_S=-P ##. ## \\ ## ##(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{S}})_V=T ## always, but it may be impossible to isolate this if you are looking at changes in internal energy ##\Delta U ## w.r.t. a change in entropy ## \Delta S ## (not readily measured, but let's assume we can somehow monitor it and/or make it change by a specified small increment) and the volume is changing. You would also need to measure the pressure ## P ## and the change in volume ## \Delta V ##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Dale
Thank you for the reply,

however, I don't get what you mean by this statement. Do you mind elaborating?

Charles Link said:
## \\ ##
When the volume is not fixed, this last equation applies. ## \\ ##

Also, let me attempt to rephrase my question. We can obtain pressure by two partial derivatives ##p = -\Big(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \Big)_S## and ##p = -\Big(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V} \Big)_T##. If I have some partition function, and attempt to get an expression for pressure using these two derivatives, will I get the same equations for pressure?

And finally, suppose that I am considering a system with fixed temperature, and I wish to compute pressure using ##p = -\Big(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V} \Big)_S## rather than ##p = -\Big(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V} \Big)_T##, will I get the right expression? Which is to say, if I evaluate a partial derivative with some thermodynamic potential held fixed, does it mean that I have to be considering an actual system in which that thermodynamic potential is fixed too?

Apologies if I sound extremely confused, thank you for your patience.

If I remember correctly ## F=-kT \ln{Z} ##. The second equation for the pressure is often easy to compute from this.
The first equation for the pressure says we do a reversible expansion with no heat flow into or out of the system. For an ideal gas, the temperature will drop, and thereby ## U ## decreases. The pressure can be computed as ## p=-\frac{\Delta U}{\Delta V} ##. It is basically being computed by the work the gas does on the surroundings, and thereby the energy it loses.
I don't recall how ## U ## would be computed from the partition function ## Z ## though, especially if it needs to be a function of ## S ## and ## V ##. I think that calculation would be clumsy and difficult. ## \\ ##
@Chestermiller Might you have any additional inputs?

Last edited:
We have that $$dF=-SdT-PdV$$ so we know that $$P=-\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V}\right)_T$$ and $$S=-\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial T}\right)_V$$From this, it follows that $$-\frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial V\partial T}=-\frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial T\partial V}=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T=\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V$$The latter equality is a so-called Maxwell relationship, from which it can be shown that $$dU=C_vdT-\left[P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]dV$$This is essentially the relationship that @Lord Jestocost posted in another thread initiated by the OP.

Likes WWCY and Charles Link

1. What is a partial derivative in thermodynamics?

A partial derivative in thermodynamics is a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a thermodynamic variable with respect to another variable, while holding all other variables constant. It is a useful tool for understanding how a system responds to changes in its environment.

2. How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables, while treating all other variables as constants. This is typically done using the chain rule and other basic rules of differentiation.

3. What is the physical significance of partial derivatives in thermodynamics?

The physical significance of partial derivatives in thermodynamics is that they allow us to quantify how a thermodynamic system responds to changes in its environment. By calculating partial derivatives, we can determine how changes in one variable, such as temperature or pressure, affect other variables within the system.

4. Can partial derivatives be negative in thermodynamics?

Yes, partial derivatives can be negative in thermodynamics. This indicates that a change in one variable causes a decrease in another variable, while holding all other variables constant. For example, a negative partial derivative of volume with respect to pressure would mean that an increase in pressure leads to a decrease in volume.

5. How are partial derivatives used in thermodynamic equations?

Partial derivatives are used in thermodynamic equations to express the relationship between different thermodynamic variables. For example, the Maxwell relations, which relate thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and volume, are based on partial derivatives. They are also used in the fundamental thermodynamic equations, such as the first and second laws of thermodynamics, to describe the behavior of thermodynamic systems.