Thermodynamics: calculate thermodynamic derivative from data?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to use output from an NPT molecular dynamics simulation to compute a thermodynamic derivative, specifically -(dE/dV)T. The individual is unsure on the meaning of this derivative and how to calculate it using the simulation output. They mention needing to add kinetic and potential energy columns to get internal energy and experimenting with changing volume while maintaining constant temperature to compute the partial derivative.
bumblebee77
I don't understand how to use output from an NPT molecular dynamics simulation to compute a thermodynamic derivative.

I need to compute this (where "d" is a partial derivative, "T" is a subscript that means, "at constant temperature," and "E" is internal energy):
-(dE/dV)T

I have a simulation output file that has these columns:
Time, temperature, kinetic energy, potential energy, total energy

I think I need to add the kinetic and potential energy columns to get the internal energy. But how do I compute the partial of E with respect to V at constant T? E.g., what is the reference point for calculating the delta? Is it E at one time step minus E at the previous time step?

I have another file that provides the volume at each time step. It fluctuates because this is an NPT simulation.

Any hints would be very helpful. Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are not clear on the meaning of ##-(\frac{dE}{dV})_T##. This is the rate of energy change per change of volume for the system kept at a constant temperature.

You need to experimentally, or via simulation, change the volume while maintaining or reversibly bringing the system back to the given temperature and see how the energy changed.

Experimentally (in principle) I would use a calorimeter to measure how much heat the system loses when the volume increased a small amount and then how much heat I needed to add (via electric heating element) to bring it back up to the original temperature. The difference is the ##\partial E## for the ##\partial V## at that temperature. In practice this is probably a horribly inaccurate way to do things but that's the kind of think you should be simulating where you can directly compute energy.

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations. It is important because it helps us understand and predict how energy behaves in different systems, such as chemical reactions and heat engines.

2. What is a thermodynamic derivative?

A thermodynamic derivative is a mathematical tool used to calculate the change in a thermodynamic quantity with respect to another quantity. It allows us to quantify how a system will respond to changes in its environment.

3. How do you calculate a thermodynamic derivative from data?

To calculate a thermodynamic derivative from data, you need to have a set of experimental data for the two quantities you want to analyze. Then, you can use the appropriate mathematical formula, such as the quotient rule, to calculate the derivative.

4. What are some common thermodynamic derivatives?

Some common thermodynamic derivatives include the heat capacity, entropy, and Gibbs free energy. These derivatives are important in understanding the behavior of energy in different systems and processes.

5. How is thermodynamics used in real-life applications?

Thermodynamics has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. It is used to design and improve energy-efficient systems, understand the behavior of materials, and study biological processes, among others.