Thermodynamics - (polymer) caluclate the average potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average potential energy of a polymer of 10^20 molecules, each 2nm long, attached to a load of 4x10^-10 g. The equations used are <E>=<E_p>=d(βF)/dβ and e^(-βF)=∑c_ne^(-βE_n). The solution involves finding the potential energy of one molecule and then using it in the equation e^(-βF)=∑e^(-βE_n). However, the initial attempt at a solution was incorrect and the correct method involves finding h as a function of n.
skrat

Homework Statement

A polymer of ##10^{20}## molecules each 2nm long is hanged from the ceiling. The other end of the polymer is attached to a ##m=4\cdot 10^{-10} g## load. Calculate the average potential energy! Temperature is 300 K.

Homework Equations

##<E>=<E_p>=\frac{\mathrm{d} (\beta F)}{\mathrm{d} \beta }##

##e^{-\beta F}=\sum_{n}^{N}c_ne^{-\beta E_n}##

The Attempt at a Solution

if ##e^{-\beta F}=\sum_{n}^{N}c_ne^{-\beta E_n}## than

##e^{-\beta F}=\sum_{n=0}^{N=10^{20}}c_ne^{-\beta E_n}##

Now, I'm not sure, but I think that ##E_n## which is potential energy of one particular molecule should be ##E_n=mgln## if l is length of one molecule.

therefore ##e^{-\beta F}=\sum_{n=0}^{N=10^{20}}c_ne^{-\beta mgln}##

This is now ##e^{-\beta F}=\frac{e^{-\beta mgl(N+1)}-1}{e^{-\beta mgl}-1}##

so ##\beta F=ln(e^{-\beta mgl}-1)-ln(e^{-\beta mgl(N+1)}-1)##

and

##<E>=<E_p>=\frac{\mathrm{d} (\beta F)}{\mathrm{d} \beta }=mgl(\frac{(N+1)e^{-\beta mgl(N+1)}}{e^{-\beta mgl(N+1)}-1}-\frac{1}{e^{-\beta mgl}-1})##

BUT this gives me ##E_p=9.23\cdot 10^{-21}J## which is only 2.35 nanometers... I siriously doubt that is the case :/ Does anybody know what's wrong here?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
okej everything above is completely wrong.

I think it goes something like this: ##e^{-\beta F}=\sum_{n=0}^{N}e^{-\beta E_n}##

where ##E_n=-mgh(n)## but the key here is to write h as function of n... Now that's all i have..

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations in systems. It also includes the relationships between different forms of energy and how they affect the behavior of matter.

2. What is the role of thermodynamics in polymer science?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in polymer science as it helps to understand the behavior of polymers under different conditions. It helps to predict the stability, solubility, and reactivity of polymers, as well as their physical and chemical properties.

3. How is average potential energy calculated in polymer thermodynamics?

The average potential energy in polymer thermodynamics is calculated by taking the summation of all the potential energy values for each polymer chain and dividing it by the total number of chains. This provides an average value of the potential energy for the entire polymer system.

4. What are the factors that affect the average potential energy in polymers?

The average potential energy in polymers is affected by factors such as the length and flexibility of polymer chains, the strength of intermolecular forces, and the temperature and pressure of the system.

5. Can thermodynamic calculations be used to predict the behavior of polymers in real-world applications?

Yes, thermodynamic calculations are crucial in predicting the behavior of polymers in real-world applications. They can help determine the suitability of a polymer for a specific use, as well as its stability and durability under different conditions.