Thermodynamics Power Cycle Energy Balance

In summary, the system undergoes a power cycle and develops a net power output of 1 MW. The only significant heat transfers are to the lake at 17°C. Kinetic and potential energy effects can be ignored. For operation at steady state, the minimum theoretical steam mass flow rate, in kg/s, required by the cycle is determined.
AGiantGolden49er

Homework Statement

As shown in Fig. P5.39, a system undergoing a power cycle develops a net power output of 1 MW while receiving energy by heat transfer from steam condensing from saturated vapor to saturated liquid at a pressure of 100 kPa. Energy is discharged from the cycle by heat transfer to a nearby lake at 17°C. These are the only significant heat transfers. Kinetic and potential energy effects can be ignored. For operation at steady state, determine the minimum theoretical steam mass flow rate, in kg/s, required by any such cycle.

Fig. 5.39: https://gyazo.com/49a3ca702a5fa239633f8f054618345e
(Can't get it to embed)

Homework Equations

η = Wcycle / QH = 1 - TC / TH
Wcycle = QH - QC
mass flow: dmcv / dt = ∑ mi - ∑ me
energy balance: dEcv / dt = Q - W + ∑ mi(hi + Vi2 / 2 + gzi)- ∑ me(he + Ve2 / 2 + gze)

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing that the system operates at steady state, I know that the entry mass flow and exit mass flow are the same. I also know that since kinetic energy and potential energy can be ignored, the energy balance equation simplifies to:
0 = Q - W + ∑ mi(hi)- ∑ me(he) =>
W = Q + m(hi - he)

Knowing that the initial and final states are at saturated vapor and saturated liquid, respectively, using the tables in the back of the book, I found the specific enthalpy values to be:
h1 = 2675.5 kJ/kg
h2 = 417.46 kJ/kg

I know that I can use the thermal efficiency relation to find the QH value, but I don't know how exactly to find the thermal efficiency since there's no listed TH value, unless I'm missing something in the problem statement. I feel that the energy balance equation will be cake once the heat transfer value is found, but I just can't figure out how to get it. If anyone could steer me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

Edit: The temperature of the lake is 17°C, not 178C. Copy-and-paste didn't recognize the degree symbol.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field but... isn't 100kPa about atmospheric pressure so the temperature of the steam would be...

What would be the ratio of Qh to Qc if the system were operating reversibly (at maximum theoretical efficiency)? (Qh is the rate of heat addition from the steam reservoir).

1. What is thermodynamics power cycle energy balance?

Thermodynamics power cycle energy balance is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between the energy input and output of a power cycle, such as a heat engine or a refrigeration system. It involves the analysis of the energy transfers and transformations within the cycle and the calculation of the overall energy efficiency.

2. How is thermodynamics power cycle energy balance calculated?

Thermodynamics power cycle energy balance is calculated by considering the energy flows into and out of the system, including heat transfer, work, and energy stored in the system. The first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, is used to balance the energy input and output and calculate the overall energy efficiency of the cycle.

3. What are the key components of a thermodynamics power cycle?

The key components of a thermodynamics power cycle include a heat source, a working fluid, a heat sink, and a mechanism for converting heat into work. These components work together to create a continuous cycle of energy transfer and conversion, resulting in the production of useful work.

4. What factors affect the energy efficiency of a thermodynamics power cycle?

The energy efficiency of a thermodynamics power cycle is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the heat source and heat sink, the type of working fluid used, and the design and efficiency of the power cycle components. Additionally, any energy losses due to friction, heat transfer through the system boundaries, and other inefficiencies can also impact the overall energy efficiency.

5. What are the applications of thermodynamics power cycle energy balance?

Thermodynamics power cycle energy balance has many practical applications in various industries, including power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning, and transportation. It is also crucial in the development and design of new energy systems and technologies, as it allows for the evaluation and optimization of energy efficiency and performance.