Thermodynamics Pressure Calculation

In summary, the total translational KE of the helium atoms in a spherical balloon with a diameter of 26.0 cm at 46.0 °C and a pressure of 121.6 kPa is 1680J. To calculate this, the formula KE=3/2kT (in J/molecule) was used, multiplied by the number of molecules (PV=nRT). The temperature was converted to Kelvin, and the final calculation yielded a result of 1x10^18J, which is incorrect. After further examination, the error was found and the correct answer was determined.
mexqwerty
A spherical balloon is filled with helium atoms (Note: 1 atm = 101.3 kPa).
What is the total translational KE of the atoms if the balloon has a diameter 26.0 cm at 46.0 °C and the pressure inside the balloon is 121.6 kPa?

The answer is 1680J but I can't get it.

I used KE=3/2kT (in J/molecule) and then multiplied that number by the number of molecules PV=nRT. Am I working it out wrong or using the wrong numbers (like should I use Kelvin for temperatures)?

KE=3/2*1.38x10^-23*46 =2.4x10^21
V= 4/3*pi *radius^3 =4/3*pi*(13/100)^3 =9.2*10^-3
n=PV/RT = (121.6*9.2x10^-3)/(8.314*(46+273)) Not sure if I should use Kelvin here
n= 4.22x10^-4
KE*n = 2.4x10^21* 4.22x10^-4=1x10^18J (which is so off the right answer).

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops. Somehow my thread got posted twice...? Sorry...
I don't know how to delete...

never mind. I got it. Thanks for looking anyway.

mexqwerty said:
Oops. Somehow my thread got posted twice...? Sorry...
I don't know how to delete...

Click on Edit button, look for Delete button.

Note that Edit is active only for a limited period of time, if you will wait for too long, posts is no longer editable.

I would first clarify what the question is asking for. Is it asking for the total translational KE of each individual helium atom, or the total translational KE of all the atoms combined?

Assuming it is asking for the total translational KE of all the atoms combined, I would approach the problem in the following way:

1. Convert the temperature from Celsius to Kelvin: 46.0 °C + 273 = 319 K

2. Use the ideal gas law to find the number of moles of helium atoms inside the balloon: n = PV/RT = (121.6 kPa * 0.026 m^3) / (8.314 J/mol*K * 319 K) = 0.00166 mol

3. Use Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to convert the number of moles to the number of atoms: 0.00166 mol * 6.022 x 10^23 = 9.98 x 10^20 atoms

4. Use the formula for translational KE of a gas molecule: KE = 3/2 * k * T, where k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38 x 10^-23 J/K) and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

5. Plug in the values: KE = 3/2 * 1.38 x 10^-23 J/K * 319 K = 6.21 x 10^-21 J

6. Multiply the translational KE per atom by the total number of atoms: 6.21 x 10^-21 J * 9.98 x 10^20 atoms = 6.19 x 10^0 J = 6.19 J

Therefore, the total translational KE of the helium atoms in the balloon is approximately 6.19 J. This is close to the given answer of 1680 J, so it is possible that there may be a typo or error in the given answer. It is also important to note that the given answer is in J, not kJ, so it is possible that there was a conversion error. It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

1. What is thermodynamics pressure calculation?

Thermodynamics pressure calculation is a method used to determine the pressure of a system or substance by using thermodynamic principles. It takes into account factors such as temperature, volume, and the number of particles present.

2. How is pressure calculated in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied on an area by the area itself. This formula is known as the ideal gas law: P = nRT/V, where P is pressure, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume.

3. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure in thermodynamics?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including the atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, only measures the pressure above the atmospheric pressure. This means that absolute pressure will always be greater than gauge pressure.

4. How does temperature affect pressure in thermodynamics?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, pressure also increases, assuming all other factors remain constant. This is because as the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the gas particles increases, causing them to collide with the container walls more frequently and with greater force, resulting in an increase in pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics pressure calculation?

Thermodynamics pressure calculation is used in a variety of industries, including engineering, chemistry, and meteorology. It is used to design and optimize engines, predict weather patterns, and understand the behavior of gases in chemical reactions. It is also used in everyday household items such as refrigerators and air conditioners.