Thermodynamics problem - internal energy of a saturated steam?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of internal energy at state 1 in a thermodynamics problem involving saturated steam. The first part involves finding pressure, temperature, and specific volume values at state 1, while the second part involves calculating the work done by the steam. The third part asks for the total heat transferred to the steam, which can be calculated using the equation H = ΔU + W. The main issue arises in determining the internal energy at state 1, as there are multiple values for internal energy in the steam tables. The confusion is resolved by realizing that the term "saturated steam" only refers to the vapor, not the liquid phase.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

6JBYYAS.png

For those who are not interested in reading through the different values I get for each stage then please answer this question:

What is the internal energy at state 1? When water is a saturated steam... Is it U_vap + U_liq since saturated steam has both liquid and gas phases in it? Or is it just U_vap?

If you are confused it may be worthwhile to see what each state is in the following text I wrote:

Thanks!

In this question there are 3 states. The question also has three parts to it.

First Part:
Find the initial pressure, temperature and specific volume values at state 1 from the steam tables and appendices. I ended up getting these values (these are correct as I have checked the answer key):
P1 = 500kPa
T1 = 425.65K
v(specific volume)1 = 0.37297

Second Part:
Find the work done by the steam. I calculated this and got the same answer as the answer key which is:
W(state 1->3) = 232.3 kJ/kg Note they want the answer in specific energy

Third Part:
This is where I am stuck. This one asks for the total heat transferred to the steam.

I know that:
H = ΔU + W

Where ΔU is the change in internal energy from state 1 to state 3. My main problem concerns solving for the internal energy in state 1 using the steam tables. First off state 1 is saturated steam, so from the Thermodynamics tables I get several internal energy values. I get U_vap, U_liq and U_evap. From what I have learned a saturated steam includes water in both liquid and gas phases? Thus U(state 1) = U_vap + U_liq...?

This does not work and the answer suggests that U(state 1) = U_vap only.

Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

6JBYYAS.png

For those who are not interested in reading through the different values I get for each stage then please answer this question:

What is the internal energy at state 1? When water is a saturated steam... Is it U_vap + U_liq since saturated steam has both liquid and gas phases in it? Or is it just U_vap?

If you are confused it may be worthwhile to see what each state is in the following text I wrote:

Thanks!

In this question there are 3 states. The question also has three parts to it.

First Part:
Find the initial pressure, temperature and specific volume values at state 1 from the steam tables and appendices. I ended up getting these values (these are correct as I have checked the answer key):
P1 = 500kPa
T1 = 425.65K
v(specific volume)1 = 0.37297

Second Part:
Find the work done by the steam. I calculated this and got the same answer as the answer key which is:
W(state 1->3) = 232.3 kJ/kg Note they want the answer in specific energy

Third Part:
This is where I am stuck. This one asks for the total heat transferred to the steam.

I know that:
H = ΔU + W

Where ΔU is the change in internal energy from state 1 to state 3. My main problem concerns solving for the internal energy in state 1 using the steam tables. First off state 1 is saturated steam, so from the Thermodynamics tables I get several internal energy values. I get U_vap, U_liq and U_evap. From what I have learned a saturated steam includes water in both liquid and gas phases? Thus U(state 1) = U_vap + U_liq...?

This does not work and the answer suggests that U(state 1) = U_vap only.

I can not see the image. Can you re-upload it please ? Also absolute internal energy of the system is undefined. (Think why ?)

Dear beast,

The term "saturated steam" refers only to the vapor.

Chet

1. What is the definition of internal energy in thermodynamics?

The internal energy of a substance is the sum of all the microscopic forms of energy within it, including the kinetic and potential energies of its molecules and the energy associated with their chemical bonds.

2. How is internal energy related to the temperature of a substance?

Internal energy is directly proportional to the temperature of a substance. As the temperature increases, the molecules within the substance gain more kinetic energy, leading to an increase in the substance's internal energy.

3. What does it mean for a steam to be saturated?

A saturated steam is a steam that is in equilibrium with liquid water at a given temperature and pressure. This means that any additional heat added to the steam will not cause a change in its temperature or pressure, but instead, it will result in a phase change from liquid to gas.

4. How is the internal energy of saturated steam calculated?

The internal energy of saturated steam can be calculated using the thermodynamic property tables or equations specific to the substance. It takes into account the temperature, pressure, and specific volume of the steam.

5. What factors affect the internal energy of saturated steam?

The internal energy of saturated steam is affected by the temperature, pressure, and specific volume of the steam. Changes in any of these factors can cause a change in the internal energy of the steam.