Thermodynamics: Reduction Potential question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the correct option for a question related to reduction potential and the element Y being a good reducing agent. There is confusion about the question and whether it is asking to reduce B or oxidize BH2. Eventually, it is determined that the question is asking for the oxidizing agent, in which case option b is the correct answer.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
NA
Relevant Equations
NA
20200729_223445.jpg

The answer key says the correct option should be a, but I think it should be b. Because Y has a reduction potential same as the element B.

An element is a good reducing agent only if its reduction potential is negative or less positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then why have you chosen the most positive one?

The question seems unclear. What are you being asked to do - reduce B or oxidise BH2? I read it as reducing B, but then you want an electron donor, not an acceptor. Have I misunderstood?

I think it is asking which out of the three can oxidize BH2. In that case, I think (b) is the correct option.
Thanks for pointing out, I got confused after reading the question. I really is unclear.

But if they are asking for the oxidant, shouldn't Y element be excluded?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work.

2. What is reduction potential?

Reduction potential is a measure of the tendency of a chemical species to acquire electrons and undergo reduction. It is a measure of the strength of the oxidizing or reducing agent.

3. How is reduction potential measured?

Reduction potential is measured using a standard hydrogen electrode (SHE) as a reference. The reduction potential of a substance is compared to the SHE, which has a fixed reduction potential of 0 volts.

4. What factors affect reduction potential?

The factors that affect reduction potential include temperature, concentration, and the nature of the chemical species involved. Changes in these factors can alter the reduction potential of a substance.

5. What is the importance of reduction potential in thermodynamics?

Reduction potential is important in thermodynamics because it is a key factor in determining the direction and extent of chemical reactions. It also provides information about the stability and reactivity of chemical species.