How to make an audio processing device for noise reduction ?

In summary, you are working on noise reduction with an Arduino. You are also looking into post processing audio with the Arduino.
hugo_faurand
Hello everyone !I am working on noise reduction and I wanted to do some experiments with an arduino. I took an arduino which get music (as an example) in input by jack. It also has a microphone and in a first try the goal is to get as an output the music - the noise around... To act like a kind of noise reducing system. Then I will do a better signal treatment. The goal is to use the system as an audio treatment unit.Here's a simple sketch and the system to amplify the audio signal.

arduino signal process.png

Some of you must be laughing. In fact I realized that an arduino can not do that in real time. So I wonder is it possible to do that maybe with a board similar to an arduino board ? I think it's also difficult with a Raspberry Pi, not because of the specs of Raspberry's CPU but it is much less handy to work on electrical signals on a Raspberry.

Thanks in advance !

Likes BvU
Engineering news on Phys.org
You've basically shown a couple of block diagrams with a little extra detail. So, yes. Laughing. There are various schemes used to suppress various types of noise. What type of noise are you trying to suppress and what research have you done so far?

Last edited:
Likes BvU
If you are willing to skip real time processing, then you can use Arduino to post process and replay audio. Depending on your algorithms it may take a while to post process, or it may be fast enough for real time.

You can split this project into HW and SW. The DSP SW can be developed on lots of platforms, including a PC. This is the real value added learning, IMO. The HW can be bought in many different forms. For example some of the ARM uC boards are cheap and powerful. For example Beagle Bone, which is definitely powerful enough for audio processing.

hugo_faurand said:
Some of you must be laughing. In fact I realized that an arduino can not do that in real time. So I wonder is it possible to do that maybe with a board similar to an arduino board ?
Back in the day, TI's TMS320 was a good DSP platform to develop signal processing applications on. It looks like the product line is still going strong with lots of variants of the original TMS320. Check out the background information at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TMS320

Then look through the various development kits you can get to start prototyping your DSP experiments:

https://www.mouser.com/c/embedded-s...ECP34xpyV5AvIoURsQrFV-UEGLch9LN4aAjPXEALw_wcB

1. How does an audio processing device reduce noise?

An audio processing device reduces noise by using algorithms and filters to analyze and remove unwanted sound frequencies from an audio signal. These algorithms can be programmed to identify and remove specific types of noise, such as static or background hum.

2. What components are needed to make an audio processing device for noise reduction?

The main components needed to make an audio processing device for noise reduction include a microphone to capture the audio signal, an analog-to-digital converter to convert the analog signal into digital data, a digital signal processor to analyze and filter the audio data, and a digital-to-analog converter to convert the processed signal back into an analog output.

3. Can an audio processing device completely eliminate all background noise?

No, it is not possible for an audio processing device to completely eliminate all background noise. While it can significantly reduce unwanted noise, there will always be some residual noise present in the audio signal. The effectiveness of noise reduction also depends on the quality of the device and the complexity of the noise being targeted.

4. How can I adjust the settings on an audio processing device for optimal noise reduction?

Most audio processing devices have adjustable settings that allow you to customize the level of noise reduction. These settings may include options for adjusting the sensitivity, frequency range, and intensity of the noise reduction. It is important to experiment with these settings to find the best balance between noise reduction and preserving the quality of the audio signal.

5. Can an audio processing device be used for live noise reduction?

Yes, there are audio processing devices that are specifically designed for live noise reduction. These devices use real-time processing to analyze and filter the audio signal as it is being captured, allowing for immediate noise reduction. However, the effectiveness of live noise reduction may be limited compared to post-processing techniques used in recording or editing.