Thermodynamics - Temperature change of Argon

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the new gas temperature in celsius when the temperature of 19 moles of argon gas is increased by 4.4 kJ of heat transfer while keeping the gas pressure constant. The equation Q=Cp*change in temp was used, with the Cv of Argon being 0.3122 and R being 0.2081. The molar heat capacity at constant volume (Cv) was found to be (3/2)R and the molar heat capacity at constant pressure (Cp) was found to be (5/2)R. The final temperature was calculated to be 32.14 degrees Celsius by using the molar mass of argon and
Seven of Nine

Homework Statement

The temperature of n = 19 mol of argon gas is increased from T1 = 21 oC by Q = 4.4 kJ heat transfer, while the gas pressure is kept constant. What is the new gas temperature in Celsius degrees?

Homework Equations

cp1.gif
and as its a monoatomic gas I think this means that the equation is just Q=Cp*change in temp. But I'm not really sure. The Cv of Argon is 0.3122, with R being 0.2081 and Cp being 0.5203.

The Attempt at a Solution

My last attempts have come up with the final temp as 44.9 - where I had used the mass of the object as 749. I also have got 30.88 by subbing the values into the unknown. I keep getting the answer marked as wrong and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong

Attachments

• cp1.gif
    cp1.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
HI,

Perhaps you should add dimensions to your quantities and check that the answer has the dimension you want

Do you mean - Cp-0.5203[kJ/kg.K] Cv-0.3122Cp[kJ/kg.K] and then R=0.2081Cp[kJ/kg.K]?

Seven of Nine said:
Do you mean - Cp-0.5203[kJ/kg.K] Cv-0.3122Cp[kJ/kg.K] and then R=0.2081Cp[kJ/kg.K]?
What is ##\Delta T##?

That's what I want in celcius

Likes VSayantan
Seven of Nine said:
That's what I want in celcius
Yep. Me too.

But what is it?

Can you elaborate it?

It's the temperature change in celsius.

Seven of Nine said:
It's the temperature change in celsius.
cool.

Write that in symbols.

What is the value of the molar heat capacity at constant volume of a mono atomic gas (in terms of R)? What is the molar heat capacity at constant pressure?

Chestermiller said:
What is the molar heat capacity at constant pressure?
CV = (3/2)R and CP = (5/2)R

Or Q = (3/2)nRΔT + nRΔT = (5/2)nRΔT for Cp

and Q = (3/2)nRΔT for Cv

Is that right?

Chestermiller said:
What is the value of the molar heat capacity at constant volume of a monoatomic gas (in terms of R)? What is the molar heat capacity at constant pressure?
I have 32.14 when I do - (4400/((5/2)*(759)*0.2081))+21 that's when everything is in grams? Is that correct

So, ##\Delta T## is change in temperature, right?

Now, say, initially the temperature is ##T_i## and finally ##T_f##.
What is the change in temperature?

VSayantan said:
So, ##\Delta T## is change in temperature, right?

Now, say, initially the temperature is ##T_i## and finally ##T_f##.
What is the change in temperature?
Yes so the final Temperature was 32.14 - I submitted it and it was correct - with the change in temp being 11.14. This was found but using the molar mass - The molar mass of Argon is 39.95 which is multiplied by the 19mol so 759.05. Then sub into the equation above and then add the initial value to get 32.14

Seven of Nine said:
Then sub into the equation above and then add the initial value to get 32.14

How did you obtain the value ##32.14##?

So your initial equation was wrong!

It should be $$Q=m\cdot {C_p} \cdot {(T_f \sim T_i)}$$

The initial equation is correct I have just subbed in the equation for Cv and the value for n in the initial equation is 1 or excluded as Argon is monoatomic and I got 32.14 by adding the initial value of 21 to the change in Temp which was found using the equation. To give the final Temperature

Seven of Nine said:
the value for n in the initial equation is 1

The question clearly says "the temperature of ##n=19~\rm {mol}## of argon gas ..." why did you use ##n=1##?

Seven of Nine said:
I got 32.14 by adding the initial value of 21 to the change in Temp which was found using the equation. To give the final Temperature

How did you find the change in temperature to add with?

Seven of Nine said:
Yes so the final Temperature was 32.14 - I submitted it and it was correct - with the change in temp being 11.14. This was found but using the molar mass - The molar mass of Argon is 39.95 which is multiplied by the 19mol so 759.05. Then sub into the equation above and then add the initial value to get 32.14
You didn't even need to know the molar mass of argon if you just used the universal gas constant R = 8.314 J/mole.K:
$$(19)(2.5)(8.314)\Delta T = 4400$$
So, $$\Delta T=11.14\ C$$

Chestermiller said:
You didn't even need to know the molar mass of argon if you just used the universal gas constant R = 8.314 J/mole.K:
$$(19)(2.5)(8.314)\Delta T = 4400$$
So, $$\Delta T=11.14\ C$$

Isn't your unit for ##T## - ##K##?

VSayantan said:
Isn't your unit for ##T## - ##K##?
For a temperature change, K and C give the same number.

Likes VSayantan

What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and their relationship with work and other forms of energy.

What is the specific heat capacity of Argon?

The specific heat capacity of Argon is 0.520 J/g·K at constant pressure and 0.313 J/g·K at constant volume.

How does temperature change affect the behavior of Argon?

As the temperature of Argon increases, its particles gain more energy and move faster, resulting in an increase in pressure. Similarly, as the temperature decreases, the particles lose energy and move slower, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in Argon?

According to the ideal gas law, the pressure of a gas, such as Argon, is directly proportional to its temperature when the volume and number of particles are constant.

How is temperature change of Argon related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In the case of Argon, the temperature change can be related to these laws by considering the heat transfer and work done on the gas, as well as the change in entropy of the system.