[Thermodynamics] Temperature gradient around a warm sphere.

In summary, the conversation discusses the temperature gradient surrounding a sphere with a constant surface temperature and how to calculate it. The participants mention the dominance of convection over radiation for this scenario and suggest using empirical equations or numerical methods for solving the problem. Ansys software is also mentioned as a possible solution.
Dafe
Hi,

Say I have a sphere of radius r that has a constant surface temperature of T_s.
The sphere is surrounded by air at a constant temperature T_amb.
I am interested in the temperature gradient surrounding the sphere.

From the little I know, I think i have to look at the natural convection and radiation.
I can calculate the heat transfer by using Newtons cooling law and the law for radiation,
but I do not know how to calculate the temperature gradient.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
For temperatures less than hundreds of °C and air as a surrounding medium, convection generally dominates over radiation. It seems like you're interested in free convection (no forced flow) around a sphere; you can find empirical equations for this case in handbooks (possibly on the Internet) and in the heat transfer textbook Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer by Incropera and DeWitt, which includes references to literature reviews of the problem.

Hi Mapes,

yes, I am interested in the free convection around a sphere and other geometries.
When you say that I can find empirical equations, does that mean that there are no analytical ways in solving this?

Thank you.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Free/natural convection is a notorious fluid mechanics problem where few analytical solutions exist. Researchers make empirical connections by comparing various nondimensional ratios (e.g., the Rayleigh and Prandtl numbers, which you'll need to calculate for this problem).

I assume that a solution could be approximated by using numerical methods like finite element.
Perhaps Ansys can solve this somewhat easily, will have a look.
Thanks

Sure, a numerical approach is ideal. Just make sure your software can accommodate bulk fluid flow. That's the mechanism that's removing thermal energy from the sphere.

Related to [Thermodynamics] Temperature gradient around a warm sphere.

What is a temperature gradient?

A temperature gradient refers to the change in temperature over a given distance. It is often represented by the symbol ∆T/∆x, where ∆T is the change in temperature and ∆x is the distance.

How is a temperature gradient measured?

A temperature gradient can be measured using a thermometer or a thermocouple. These instruments can be placed at different points around a warm sphere to measure the temperature at each point, allowing for the calculation of the temperature gradient.

Why is there a temperature gradient around a warm sphere?

A temperature gradient exists around a warm sphere because heat naturally flows from areas of higher temperature to areas of lower temperature. This creates a gradient, with the warmest point being at the center of the sphere and the coolest points being at the outer edges.

How does the size of the sphere affect the temperature gradient?

The size of the sphere can affect the temperature gradient in several ways. A larger sphere will have a larger surface area, which can result in a larger temperature gradient as there is more surface area for heat to be transferred. Additionally, a larger sphere may have a thicker layer of insulation, which can also impact the temperature gradient.

What are some practical applications of understanding temperature gradients around a warm sphere?

Understanding temperature gradients around a warm sphere can be useful in various fields, such as meteorology, engineering, and materials science. It can help in designing more efficient heating and cooling systems, predicting weather patterns, and understanding the behavior of materials at different temperatures.