These two problems are based on Vectors, dot product and distance for sphere.

In summary, the first problem involves finding the distance between two spheres with given centers and radii. By using the distance formula, the distance between the two centers can be calculated as sqrt(61). However, it is unclear how to proceed from there.The second problem deals with mutually orthogonal vectors and writing a given vector as a combination of these vectors. It is suggested to use the dot product to prove that for any given vector, it can be written as a combination of mutually orthogonal vectors. However, it is unclear how to apply the dot product to solve this problem.
scolon94
Problem 1: Let S1 be a sphere centered at(0, 1, -3) with radius 1 and let S2 be a sphere centered at (3, 5, -9) with radius 2. Find the distance between the two spheres.

problem 2: Given three non-zero vectors v1, v2, v3 we say that they are mutually orthogonal when v1 dot v2= 0, v1 dot v3=0 , v2 dot v3=0. Sho wthat if v1+v2+v3 are mutually orthogonal then for any vector v we can write v= av1+ bv2+ cv3 for some real number a,b,c. (hint: Use the dot product on the equation v= av1+ bv2+cv3)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us what you have tried or what your thoughts are on how to begin so our helpers know where you are stuck and how best to help?

By the way, I edited your thread title to remove the plea for help, since the implication that help is being sought after is made by the act of posting.

Re: These two problems are based on Vectors, dot product and distance for sphere. PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Hello, scolon94!

Did you make a sketch?

(1) Let S1 is a sphere with center (0, 1, -3) and radius 1.
S2 is a sphere with center (3, 5, -9) and radius 2.
Find the distance between the two spheres.
Code:
               1        *    2              *
            S1       d  *         S2        *
The distance between the two centers is:

. . [tex]\overline{S_1S_2} \:=\:\sqrt{3-0)^2 + (5-1)^2 + (-9-[\text{-}3])^2} [/tex]

. . . . [tex]=\;\sqrt{3^2+4^2 + 6^2} \;=\;\sqrt{61}[/tex]

Therefore, the distance [tex]d[/tex] is . . .

MarkFL said:
Can you show us what you have tried or what your thoughts are on how to begin so our helpers know where you are stuck and how best to help?

By the way, I edited your thread title to remove the plea for help, since the implication that help is being sought after is made by the act of posting.

For the first problem I did distance formula. the sqrt ((x-xo) + (y-yo) + (z-zo)) as a result i got sqrt(16). I'm confused what to do after. Problem#2 I really don't understand what to do whatsoever. since abc are numbers I can't apply dot product. I thought of dividing by v on both sides but it doesn't lead me anywhere.

Thank you

Re: These two problems are based on Vectors, dot product and distance for sphere. PLEASE PLEASE HELP

soroban said:
Hello, scolon94!

Did you make a sketch?

Code:
               1        *    2              *
            S1       d  *         S2        *
The distance between the two centers is:

. . [tex]\overline{S_1S_2} \:=\:\sqrt{3-0)^2 + (5-1)^2 + (-9-[\text{-}3])^2} [/tex]

. . . . [tex]=\;\sqrt{3^2+4^2 + 6^2} \;=\;\sqrt{61}[/tex]

Therefore, the distance [tex]d[/tex] is . . .

This is exactly what I did, I did get sqrt(61). But my professor e-mailed me saying " This is the start of the problem. You need to find the distance between the spheres, not between the radii."

scolon94 said:
This is exactly what I did, I did get sqrt(61). But my professor e-mailed me saying " This is the start of the problem. You need to find the distance between the spheres, not between the radii."

What must you subtract from the distance between the centers of the spheres to find the (minimal) distance between their surfaces ?

MarkFL said:
What must you subtract from the distance between the centers of the spheres to find the (minimal) distance between their surfaces ?

1 and 2. I get it now. thank you !

how about the second problem ?

We are given the vector equation:

\(\displaystyle \textbf{v}=a\textbf{v}_1+b\textbf{v}_2+c\textbf{v}_3\)

Now dot each side with itself, and use the criterion for orthogonality in the expansion. What do you obtain?

MarkFL said:
We are given the vector equation:

\(\displaystyle \textbf{v}=a\textbf{v}_1+b\textbf{v}_2+c\textbf{v}_3\)

Now dot each side with itself, and use the criterion for orthogonality in the expansion. What do you obtain?

I'm not sure if this is the correct way.

va1*vb1 + va2*vb2 + va3*vb3 = av1*av1 + bv2*bv2 +cv3*cv3

Or can I put on the right side the norm of V ^2 because of one of the properties ?

What I did was:

\(\displaystyle \textbf{v}\cdot\textbf{v}= \left(a\textbf{v}_1+b\textbf{v}_2+c\textbf{v}_3 \right) \cdot\left(a\textbf{v}_1+b\textbf{v}_2+c\textbf{v}_3 \right)\)

And after distributing on the right and making use of the mutual orthogonality of the 3 vectors there, I obtained:

\(\displaystyle |\textbf{v}|^2=a^2|\textbf{v}_1|^2+b^2|\textbf{v}_2|^2+c^2|\textbf{v}_3|^2\)

Next, I would suggest writing each magnitude in component form.

MarkFL said:
What I did was:

\(\displaystyle \textbf{v}\cdot\textbf{v}= \left(a\textbf{v}_1+b\textbf{v}_2+c\textbf{v}_3 \right) \cdot\left(a\textbf{v}_1+b\textbf{v}_2+c\textbf{v}_3 \right)\)

And after distributing on the right and making use of the mutual orthogonality of the 3 vectors there, I obtained:

\(\displaystyle |\textbf{v}|^2=a^2|\textbf{v}_1|^2+b^2|\textbf{v}_2|^2+c^2|\textbf{v}_3|^2\)

Next, I would suggest writing each magnitude in component form.

I get sqrt(v1^2+ v2^2+v3^2) = a^2 sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2) +b^2 sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2) + c^2 sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2)

scolon94 said:
I get sqrt(v1^2+ v2^2+v3^2) = a^2 sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2) +b^2 sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2) + c^2 sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2)

The magnitudes are all squared, so you will have no square roots.

For the 3 mutually orthogonal vectors, let's define:

\(\displaystyle \textbf{v}_i=\left\langle x_i,y_i,z_i \right\rangle\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle |\textbf{v}_i|^2=x_i^2+y_i^2+z_i^2\)

Also from our originally given equation, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \textbf{v}=\left\langle ax_1+bx_2+cx_3,ay_1+by_2+cy_3,az_1+bz_2+cz_3 \right\rangle\)

Make sure you understand how I obtained the above component form using scalar distribution and vector addition before proceeding.

And so:

\(\displaystyle |\textbf{v}|^2=\left(ax_1+bx_2+cx_3 \right)^2+\left(ay_1+by_2+cy_3 \right)^2+\left(az_1+bz_2+cz_3 \right)^2\)

Now, after you use this, the equation will have many more terms on the left than the right, but subtract away what's common to both sides, and then you should be able to use the component form of the dot product, along with the mutual orthogonality to get $0=0$ as your final result, which will then prove what you needed to prove.

Related to These two problems are based on Vectors, dot product and distance for sphere.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

2. What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

3. How is the dot product used in physics?

The dot product is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force, as well as the angle between two vectors. It can also be used to determine if two vectors are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other.

4. What is the distance for a sphere?

The distance for a sphere is the length of a straight line connecting the center of the sphere to any point on its surface. This distance is also known as the radius of the sphere.

5. How is the dot product related to the distance for a sphere?

The dot product can be used to calculate the distance for a sphere by taking the dot product of the vector from the center of the sphere to a point on its surface and the vector representing the direction of the line connecting the center to that point. The result is the magnitude of the vector, which is also the distance or radius of the sphere.