How Do You Calculate Thevenin Equivalents in Circuit Analysis?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the Thevenin equivalents for a given circuit in a specific cut point. The equations and attempts at solutions for finding Rth and Vth were discussed, including the use of nodal analysis and mesh analysis methods. The suggestion to break the circuit into two pieces and apply Thevenin to one part at a time was also mentioned as a simpler and more intuitive approach. The topic of using a sum resistor as the load resistor was also brought up.
dead_devil_66

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://d.imagehost.org/0018/enunciado.png

It's in portuguese but what it's being asked is to find the Rth and Vth, the Thevenin equivalents for that network, in that cut point...

V2 and all resistors values are known.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For Rth, I'm unsure between

( R2 + R5 ) || ( R4 || R5 )

OR

R2 || ( ( R4 || R3 ) + R5)
For Vth, my solution is using nodal analysis. I guess you guys can see the datum with the 'arrow'.

A: -Ir4 + Ir3 + Ir2 = 0
B: -Ir3 - Ir2 + Ir4 = 0

I'm assuming the positive ones as the currents that go out from the node.

Va = V2
Ir4 = (Vb - Va) / R4
Ir3 = (Va - Vb) / R3
Vth = R2*Ir2 <=> Ir2 = Vth/R2

Vth/R2 = ( Vb - V2 ) / R3 + ( V2 - Vb ) / R4

So, now I'm stuck! How can i get the Vb?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Break the circuit into 2 pieces then apply Thevenin to part1 then draw the simplified circuita and apply T. again.

It's more intuitive and simple.

and what about using Mesh analysis method?

[PLAIN]http://d.imagehost.org/0269/circuito4.png

J1: -V2 + Vr4 + Vr3 = 0
J2: -Vr3 + Vr5 - Vr2 = 0

J1 is the upper mesh current, J2 is the other one.

By solving the system i got:

J1 = -( ( V2 * ( R5 - R2 - R3 ) ) / ( R3 * ( R5 - R2 + R4 ) ) )

J2 = -( V2 / ( R5 - R2 + R4 ) )

Ir2 = J2

i think that

Vth = Ir2 * R2

Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quinzio said:
Break the circuit into 2 pieces then apply Thevenin to part1 then draw the simplified circuita and apply T. again.

It's more intuitive and simple.

so, should i sum R2 and R5 and make that sum resistor the load resistor?

I would first commend you on your attempt at solving this exercise using nodal analysis. Your approach is correct, but you seem to be stuck on how to get Vb. To solve for Vb, you can use the fact that the current going through R5 is equal to the current going through R4 (since they are in parallel). This means that you can use Ohm's Law to express Vb in terms of the known values of V2, R2, R3, and R4. Once you have Vb, you can then solve for Vth using the equation you derived earlier. As for Rth, both of your proposed solutions are correct. You can choose either one depending on which one is more convenient for your calculations. Keep up the good work in your studies of circuit analysis and Thevenin equivalents!

Related to How Do You Calculate Thevenin Equivalents in Circuit Analysis?

What is a Thevenin equivalent?

A Thevenin equivalent is a simplified circuit model that represents a complex circuit as a single voltage source and a single resistor. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of a circuit without having to consider the details of the entire circuit.

Why is Thevenin equivalent important?

The Thevenin equivalent is important because it allows engineers and scientists to simplify complex circuits and make predictions about their behavior. It also helps in designing and troubleshooting circuits, as it reduces the number of components that need to be considered.

How do you calculate the Thevenin equivalent?

The Thevenin equivalent can be calculated by first removing the load resistor from the circuit and finding the open-circuit voltage (VTH) at the load terminals. Then, the equivalent resistance (RTH) can be found by shorting all voltage sources and finding the total resistance across the load terminals. The Thevenin equivalent circuit is then composed of a voltage source with a value of VTH and a resistor with a value of RTH.

What are the limitations of Thevenin equivalent?

The Thevenin equivalent assumes that the circuit is linear, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current is constant. It also assumes that the components in the circuit are ideal, meaning that they do not have any internal resistance. These assumptions may not hold true in some circuits, which can lead to inaccuracies in the Thevenin equivalent model.

How is Thevenin equivalent used in real-world applications?

Thevenin equivalent is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in electronic circuit design, power systems analysis, and telecommunications. It is also used in circuit simulation software to simplify complex circuits and predict their behavior. The Thevenin equivalent model allows engineers and scientists to quickly analyze and design circuits without having to consider all the details of the circuit.