How Does Refraction Affect Image Location in a Thin Lens Observation?

In summary, the focal length of the lens is 30 feet and the lens is 2 feet above the water surface. The image of the fish, which is viewed through the lens, is located deeper than the actual fish due to the bending of the rays at the water/air surface. To find the exact location of the image, it is necessary to calculate the bending of two rays from the fish through the lens and find their intersection point.
guilesar

Homework Statement

A small fish, four feet below the surface of Lake Lansing is viewed through a simple thin converging lens with focal length 30 feet. If the lens is 2 feet above the water surface, where is the image of the fish seen by the observer? Assume the fish lies on the optical axis of the lens and that nair=1, nwater=1.33.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{f}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{s_{0}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{s_{i}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{f}[/tex] = [tex]\left(n-1\right)[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{1}{2R}\right][/tex]

where R2=-R1

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is counter intuitive and I'm not sure how to solve it. The focal length of the lens is 30 feet... so the fish is before the focal length. Once the rays refract from the sunlight into the water, the light rays refract towards the normal, which in my mind would cause the light rays to converge further away... So I'm not sure how the water and converging lens would allow someone to see something closer than the focal length when in a isotropic medium an object before the lens would create a virtual image...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to apply the lens formula to this situation.
If I were doing the problem, I would go back to basics and sketch some rays. If the middle of the fish is on the optic axis then the nose of the fish will be a bit off the axis and you can draw a ray straight up out of the water to the lens and it will bend to the focal point above the lens. Ignoring the water/air surface for a sec, a second ray from the nose through the center of the lens would not bend and the intersection of the two rays would give the position of the image - looks like deeper than the actual location of the fish. But that ray hits the air surface at an angle greater than zero, so it will bend. One could calculate the bending and then try to deal with the change in the bending at the lens due to it not going through the center any more, or perhaps take a different ray that does go through the center but at a different angle due to the bending at the water/air surface. Either way, if you can compute the trajectory of two rays from the fish through the lens, you can then find the intersection of those rays and you'll have the location of the image.

I would first address the assumptions made in the problem. The given information states that the fish is viewed through a simple thin converging lens, which implies that the lens is thin enough that we can use the thin lens equation. The problem also assumes that the fish is on the optical axis of the lens, which simplifies the problem and allows us to use the thin lens equation without any additional calculations.

Using the thin lens equation, we can calculate the image distance (s_i) by setting the object distance (s_0) to 4 feet (since the fish is 4 feet below the surface of the lake) and the focal length (f) to 30 feet. This gives us an image distance of -120 feet, meaning the image of the fish will be 120 feet behind the lens.

However, we need to take into account the refraction of light at the air-water interface. The problem states that the refractive index of air (n_air) is 1 and the refractive index of water (n_water) is 1.33. Using Snell's law, we can calculate the angle of refraction at the air-water interface. This angle can then be used to calculate the apparent depth of the fish, taking into account the refraction of light through the water.

Using the given information, we can then calculate the final position of the image of the fish relative to the observer. This will give us the location of the image of the fish as seen by the observer.

In conclusion, the image of the fish will appear to be 120 feet behind the lens, but due to the refraction of light through the water, the apparent depth of the fish will be different, resulting in a final image location that is closer to the observer. This counterintuitive result can be explained by the principles of refraction and the assumptions made in the problem.

Related to How Does Refraction Affect Image Location in a Thin Lens Observation?

1. What is a thin lens?

A thin lens is a lens that has a thickness much smaller than its focal length. It can be either convex or concave and is used to bend light rays to create images.

2. How is the image location determined for a thin lens?

The image location for a thin lens is determined by the distance of the object from the lens, the focal length of the lens, and the refractive index of the lens material. This can be calculated using the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f is the focal length, o is the distance of the object from the lens, and i is the distance of the image from the lens.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image in a thin lens?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point to form an inverted image. This can be seen on a screen placed at the image location. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when light rays appear to diverge from a point, but do not actually converge. This type of image can only be seen through a lens and is always upright.

4. How does the thickness of a thin lens affect the image location?

The thickness of a thin lens does not have a direct effect on the image location. The image location is primarily determined by the curvature of the lens surfaces and the refractive index of the lens material. However, a thicker lens may have a slightly longer focal length and a thinner lens may have a slightly shorter focal length.

5. How can a thin lens be used to correct vision problems?

A thin lens can be used in eyeglasses or contact lenses to correct vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. By using the appropriate curvature and refractive index, a thin lens can bend light rays to focus them properly on the retina, allowing for clear vision.