Thin rod suspended freely on end and dropped. KE and Center of Mass

In summary, a thin rod of length 0.75 m and mass 0.39 kg is suspended freely from one end and dropped, swinging like a pendulum. Neglecting friction and air resistance, the rod passes through its lowest position with an angular speed of 3.5 rad/s. The kinetic energy at its lowest position is 0.02799 J and the center of mass rises to a height of 0.1172 m above this position. The moment of inertia of the thin rod is (1/3)(m)(L^2) and the potential energy at the highest point is zero.
rosstheboss23
[SOLVED] Thin rod suspended freely on end and dropped. KE and Center of Mass

Homework Statement

A thin rod of length 0.75 m and mass 0.39 kg is suspended freely from one end. It is pulled to one side and then allowed to swing like a pendulum, passing through its lowest position with angular speed 3.5 rad/s. Neglect friction and air resistance.
(a) Find the rod's kinetic energy at its lowest position
J

(b) Find how far above that position the center of mass rises.
m

Homework Equations

W=Wo +at
Radian= Radiano + Wo +(1/2)(angular accel)(squared)
W(squared) -Wo(squared) = 2(angular accel)(radians)
Rotational Kinetic Energy equation. K= (1/2)(I)(W)(squared)
W=V(r) where are is radius
Equation for I of thin rod (1/12)(m)(radius)squared

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried using the equationf or I of a thin rod and I used the mass of .39 times radius of (.375)squared and then multiplied it by (1/12). Getting I. Then I used the given value of W=3.5rad/s. Using the equation from B2 to find K I got .02799J which is wrong...I have no idea what I did wrong here.

Part B: Working the center of mass portion of this problem I assumed the mass was even distributed and would be toward the center of the pole. If the pole is vertical, as it is at the bottom of its spin then the center of mass should be halfway up the pole. So I got .375m or half the radius for this part. I got this wrong also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Equation for I of thin rod (1/12)(m)(radius)squared
For (a), you are using the wrong formula for I. The one you have is for a rod rotating about its centre. You need the one were it is rotating about one end. They are not the same.

Ok thanks. I will look up the formula, but I am not sure if its in my textbook. Does everything else look reasonably good? Also I was wondering if you knew anything on part B. I really appreciate your help.

Everything looks OK except for your I value.

For part (b): You are trying to find the height that the rod comes to rest after it swings through the lowest point. Apply conservation of energy.

Ok I got part A. Formula for I. For those interested is (1/3)(m)(L(squared)). This is for a rod rotating about one end. Part B is I am still stuck on. Any advice?

Ok. I will do so but for the potential energy part of conservation I would still use mgh right?

Yes, that's right.

Ok. Would the conservation of energy for angular momentum go like this mgh =.5(1/3)(m)(L(squared))(3.5)(squared) + mgh(final). I tried this and got (.39)(9.8)(.75)=.4479(Part a answer) +(.39)(9.8)(height above bottom pt.) and I got .6328m. I find the concept hard to understand. Is this thin rod being held horizontal and then one side is dropped until it is completely vertical?

I find the concept hard to understand. Is this thin rod being held horizontal and then one side is dropped until it is completely vertical?
Well, one end is being released but you can't say if its horizontal at that time. It doesn't really matter for this question. You are trying to find the height that the centre of the rod swings up to. Taking the centre of mass (so the middle of the rod in this case) as your reference point when the rod goes through the vertical, you can say the G.P.E. there is zero; the rod only has rotational kinetic energy. So that energy must all be converted into G.P.E. if the rod momentarily stops at its highest point.

You are on the right track I think, you just need to get a clear picture of what is being asked in the question.

Ok. Thanks I just found out the idea with this one. KE=mgh so .4479J/[(.39kg)(9.8m/s(squared)]. So the answer would be .1172m. Thanks again for all your help.

You're welcome. :smile:

Related to Thin rod suspended freely on end and dropped. KE and Center of Mass

1. What is the center of mass of a thin rod suspended freely on one end and then dropped?

The center of mass of the thin rod will remain at the same position throughout its motion, regardless of it being suspended or dropped. This is because the center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated, and it is determined by the distribution of mass within the object.

2. Does the kinetic energy of the thin rod change as it is dropped?

Yes, the kinetic energy of the thin rod will change as it is dropped. When an object is suspended, it has potential energy due to its position. As it is dropped, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the object to move and gain speed. The kinetic energy will continue to increase until the object reaches the ground.

3. How does the length of the thin rod affect its motion when dropped?

The length of the thin rod will not affect its motion when dropped. The center of mass of the thin rod will still remain at the same position, and gravity will act on the entire object regardless of its length. However, the longer the rod, the more potential energy it will have when suspended, resulting in a greater kinetic energy when dropped.

4. What is the relationship between the center of mass and the point of suspension for a thin rod dropped freely on one end?

The center of mass and the point of suspension for a thin rod dropped freely on one end are not directly related. The point of suspension is where the rod is attached or supported, while the center of mass is the point at which the mass of the rod can be considered to be concentrated. However, the center of mass will remain at the same position regardless of the point of suspension.

5. Can the center of mass of the thin rod be outside of the object itself?

No, the center of mass of the thin rod cannot be outside of the object itself. The center of mass is always located within the boundaries of the object, and it is determined by the distribution of mass within the object. In the case of a thin rod, the center of mass will be located along the length of the rod, within its physical dimensions.