What Can You Spot in the Sky? Test Your Knowledge with This Quiz!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz Sky
In summary, Scientists call meteorites that reach Earth "meteorites." A total solar eclipse can be seen only in certain parts of the world and only areas that lie in the so-called path of totality can view a total eclipse. The path of totality is a narrow area of the Earth's surface that is directly in the path of the sun's rays.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
"Things in the sky" quiz

All right boys and girls, here's an easy quiz to get started. Let's sharpen up those pointy heads.

Please do not google the answers, these are easy enough and it's multiple choice. If I could get them right without googling, so can you.

Please answer in "invisible". , then end text with /color in [] I will post the answers later today. Anyone posting a link to answers will earn a surprise 24 hour vacation from PF.

1) When does a solar eclipse occur?

A- When Mercury passes between the sun and the Earth

B- When Venus passes between the sun and the Earth

C- When the moon passes between the sun and the Earth

2) During a total solar eclipse, how long on average is the sun totally darkened?

A- 25 seconds

B- 2.5 minutes

C- 25 minutes

3) What do scientists call meteors that reach Earth?

A- Asteroids

B- Comets

C- Meteorites

D- Penqwuinos

4) Where is the Meteor Crater, a hole about 4,180 feet (1,275 meters) across and 570 feet (175 meters) deep, located?

A- Arizona

B- Colorado

C- New Mexico

5) A total solar eclipse can be seen only in certain parts of the world and only areas that lie in the so-called path of totality can view a total eclipse. Approximately how wide is this path?

A- 170 miles

B- 1,700 miles

C- 17,000 miles

6) At what distance above Earth do most meteors become visible to the human eye?

A- 6 to 20 miles (10 to 32 kilometers)

B- 30 to 60 miles (50 to 95 kilometers)

C- 40 and 75 miles (65 and 120 kilometers)

7) What type of meteorite consists of minerals rich in silicon and oxygen?

A- Stony

B- Iron

C- Stony-iron

8) What scientist used observations from a total solar eclipse to support one of his most important theories?

A- Niels Bohr

B- Albert Einstein

C- Enrico Fermi

9) What do scientists call an eclipse where only the middle of the sun darkens, leaving a bright ring around the edges?

A- Annular

B- Partial

C- Total

10)According to scientists, the most brilliant meteor shower of known history took place in what year?

A- 4 B.C.

B - 1833

C- 1999

11) Ancient Chinese astronomers thought that solar eclipses were caused by what event?

A- The sun had circled to the dark side of the Earth

B- Jupiter or Mars had moved in front of the sun

C- A dragon in the sky tried to swallow the sun

12) What do scientists often call the brightest meteors? These meteors are as bright as Jupiter or Venus in the night sky.

A- Shooting stars

B- Falling stars

C- Fireballs

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BeginTesting, is this invisible?
b,b,c,c,a,c,a,b,a,b,c, (Holy sh*t! Lookie that! --- Use of the superlative requires much brighter than Venus or Jupiter --- and, scientists call them "bolides," not "fireballs.")
End.

Without looking anything up, (but WITH using the quiz against itself)
1 C
2 B
3 C
4 A (not sure on that one)
5 A (should actually vary by eclipse, since some are annular)
6 A (just a guess, but probably much lower than most think)
7 A
8 B
9 A
10 A (beats me, but probably very old if question worth asking)
11 C
12 C (another guess, as it's slang, but they are usually careful to avoid referrign to them as "stars")

Reminder, don't use the "quote" function on anyone's answers, as it will be viewable.

2) During a total solar eclipse, how long on average is the sun totally darkened?
B- 2.5 minutes
C- Meteorites
4) Where is the Meteor Crater, a hole about 4,180 feet (1,275 meters) across and 570 feet (175 meters) deep, located?
A- Arizona
5) A total solar eclipse can be seen only in certain parts of the world and only areas that lie in the so-called path of totality can view a total eclipse. Approximately how wide is this path?
A- 170 miles
6) At what distance above Earth do most meteors become visible to the human eye?
A- Stony
8) What scientist used observations from a total solar eclipse to support one of his most important theories?
B- Albert Einstein
9) What do scientists call an eclipse where only the middle of the sun darkens, leaving a bright ring around the edges?
A- Annular
10)According to scientists, the most brilliant meteor shower of known history took place in what year?
A- 4 B.C.
11) Ancient Chinese astronomers thought that solar eclipses were caused by what event?
12) What do scientists often call the brightest meteors? These meteors are as bright as Jupiter or Venus in the night sky.
C- Fireballs

Curiously, I'm not sure about the axact location of meteor's crater :blushing:

C, A, C, A, B, A, A, B, A, B, C, C

All I know is that Meteor better get 3, 4, 6, 7 and 10 right - or at least do better than the majority on those. Heck, if there were a quiz about Gokul and I didn't do well, that would be pretty embarrassing!

Gokul43201 said:
All I know is that Meteor better get 3, 4, 6, 7 and 10 right - or at least do better than the majority on those. Heck, if there were a quiz about Gokul and I didn't do well, that would be pretty embarrassing!

He, he, the test is really tailored for me. Regrettably, I've just checked that at least one of my answers to one of the questions related to me is wrong

remember, use the tag :)
C Moon
A 25 seconds
C Meteorites
A The Arizona one?
A 170 miles
B 30-60 miles
C Stony-Iron
B Albert Einstein?
A Annular
A 4 B.C.
C I think they didn't follow a geocentric model, they could probably tell the Moon was not Jupiter or Mars, so that leaves me with the dragon
C fireballs

Last edited:
C, A, C, A, A, B, C, C, A, B, B, A

Pengwuinos!

too ez_________

Wishbone said:
too ez_________
Not as easy as you think, unless you look up the answers.

Pengwuino said:
Pengwuinos!
:rofl: I like that option. I think I'm going to answer it for all of them. :biggrin:

Geeze, only a few people here felt confident enough to post answers? And those that did...did excellent.

I will give it another day. I didn't realize so many would be afraid to try. :confused:

I'm waiting for you to compliment my culinary skills... then maybe ill ansewr your quiz!

Ok, the answers for those that want to check.

1) C

2) B

3) C

4) A

5) A

6) C

7) A

8) B

9) A

10) B

11) C

12) C

Cool Quiz. How about submitting this to the quiz section? It needs some more I reckon.

B- 2.5 minutes (not sure about this one)

C- Meteorites

A- Arizona

A- 170 miles

uh,oh - now they start getting tough

A- Stony

B- Albert Einstein

C- Total

B - 1833 (A Leonids meteor storm caused by comet debris that hasn't yet dispursed out over the comet's entire orbit path)

C- Fireballs

A surprise vacation??! Cool! Where to?:cool: Somewhere warm, I hope.

Bob G said:
A surprise vacation??! Cool! Where to?:cool: Somewhere warm, I hope.
Uhm, actually to my back yard to help work. :redface:

Oh, so close! So far, no one has answered all correct (I actually missed two myself)

Last edited:

What are some examples of things in the sky?

Some examples of things in the sky are the sun, moon, stars, clouds, birds, airplanes, and planets.

How do clouds form?

Clouds form when water vapor in the air condenses into tiny water droplets or ice crystals. This can happen when warm, moist air rises and cools, causing the water vapor to condense into visible clouds.

Why do stars appear to twinkle?

Stars appear to twinkle because of atmospheric turbulence. As the light from the star travels through different layers of the Earth's atmosphere, it gets bent and distorted, causing the star to appear to twinkle or shimmer.

How do airplanes stay up in the sky?

Airplanes stay up in the sky because of the principle of lift. Airplanes have specially shaped wings that create lift when they move through the air. This lift, along with the forward motion of the plane, allows it to stay airborne.

Why does the moon appear to change shape?

The moon appears to change shape because of its orbit around the Earth. As the moon moves in its orbit, the amount of sunlight it reflects changes, causing it to appear to go through phases from a full moon to a new moon and back again.