Thinking about the uncertainty principle.

In summary: I don't know enough to really get into a discussion on this. But I still don't think it is possible. As you said, this would be after the universe had pretty much died due to lack of energy or whatever. With no source of energy, how would anything these fluctuations create ever be like a brain?
zeromodz
We all know that our universe is headed towards a heat death with maximum entropy and useless energy. However, we know that a vacuum of space will always have energy greater than its local minimum (potential well) due to the uncertainty principle. There must always be random fluctuations forever. If we have random fluctuations forever, I think the possibilities are unlimited and probability theory is irrelevant since we have an infinite amount of time (Under the premise time is infinite and goes forever). So isn't there a probability of some type of quantum consciousness that could be acquired. I know the odds are infinitesimal, but there's no limit to probability here. Maybe even a new universe could be born due to probabilistic fluctuations. I know this is leaning more towards a philosophical question, but I wanted to post it here for scientific answers to this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So isn't there a probability of some type of quantum consciousness that could be acquired.

What does this mean?

Drakkith said:
What does this mean?

I initially meant it to say what are the odds that fluctuating particles can recreate similar conditions that occur in the human brain?

zeromodz said:
I initially meant it to say what are the odds that fluctuating particles can recreate similar conditions that occur in the human brain?

I don't believe that's possible. The brain isn't a simple consequence of chance, but a functioning part of an organism that has taken billions of years to evolve through evolution and natural selection.

Plus fluctuations happen on a microscopic scale. On a scale anywhere close to human scale, those fluctuations have almost no macroscopic effect. Hence you can have an electron tunnel through a small barrier, but you will never see a baseball tunnel through a brick wall.

Drakkith said:
I don't believe that's possible. The brain isn't a simple consequence of chance, but a functioning part of an organism that has taken billions of years to evolve through evolution and natural selection.

Plus fluctuations happen on a microscopic scale. On a scale anywhere close to human scale, those fluctuations have almost no macroscopic effect. Hence you can have an electron tunnel through a small barrier, but you will never see a baseball tunnel through a brick wall.

I don't think its impossible. I think its just so improbable that it would never happen in our terms. However, were dealing with infinity here. Of course, we don't get macroscopic effects by our standards because we only live for a few billion years at best. I am talking about a googleplex upon googleplex amount of time in which we may get some effects of macroscopic fluctuations. Time isn't a factor here because the vacuum exists forever.

zeromodz said:
I don't think its impossible. I think its just so improbable that it would never happen in our terms. However, were dealing with infinity here. Of course, we don't get macroscopic effects by our standards because we only live for a few billion years at best. I am talking about a googleplex upon googleplex amount of time in which we may get some effects of macroscopic fluctuations. Time isn't a factor here because the vacuum exists forever.

I don't know enough to really get into a discussion on this. But I still don't think it is possible. As you said, this would be after the universe had pretty much died due to lack of energy or whatever. With no source of energy, how would anything these fluctuations create ever be like a brain?

Related to Thinking about the uncertainty principle.

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty at the same time.

2. Why is the uncertainty principle important?

The uncertainty principle is important because it sets a limit on our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It also highlights the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the exact state of a particle cannot be determined and can only be described in terms of probabilities.

3. How does the uncertainty principle affect our daily lives?

While the uncertainty principle may seem abstract and only applicable to the microscopic world, it actually has real-life implications. For example, it is the reason why we cannot accurately predict the exact location and velocity of a moving particle, and why we have to use statistical methods in fields such as economics and genetics.

4. Is the uncertainty principle a proven theory?

Yes, the uncertainty principle has been extensively tested and proven through various experiments in quantum mechanics. It is considered one of the cornerstone principles of modern physics.

5. Are there any exceptions to the uncertainty principle?

There are certain situations where the uncertainty principle does not apply, such as when dealing with macroscopic objects. This is because the effects of quantum mechanics become negligible at larger scales. However, the uncertainty principle is applicable to all particles at the microscopic level.