Thinking of working towards being a Navy ME

In summary, the author recommends that the reader do research on the pros and cons of joining the military after high school before making a decision. The author also advises the reader to consider options for ROTC in college or a service academy if they want to merge their work with their love for the military/country.
TheQuietOne
I am thinking of (working towards) being a GSM in the Navy, I'm only starting high school and love engineering. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a very good idea. Have you talked to a recruiter yet?

Likes TheQuietOne
No, I didn't think I should until I am ready to start on their program

Still, it may benefit you to continue asking around and interview people that have been in the Navy, and especially about the career you are interested in. You may very well want to talk to a recruiter, there are different routes that you use to enter. They aren't going to hound you at your age and it could be a great resource. I have heard of recruiters being supportive for years before they join!

If you decide upon joining a military academy, you would need to start working towards that now, and not after high school! If you earn an undergraduate degree in engineering before joining, then you can enter the military at higher grade, I think. Going straight into the military may put you at an disadvantage when you return to civilian life, those skills you learn don't usually translate into a degree to use later! I do think it would be best for you to at least have a general associates degree before going straight into the military.

http://www.militaryspot.com/news/pros-and-cons-about-going-military-after-high-school

Depends. If you love engineering, then an enlisted job like GSM may not be the best choice for you. You'll be a technical worker, not an engineer. I would advise you to look at options for ROTC in college or if you're super ambitious then a service academy. However, I only encourage this if you want to merge your work with your love for the military/country. I spent 10 years in service, and it is a demanding job that few can handle for more than a few years. You have time, so take that time and do your research.

Likes Fervent Freyja

1. What qualifications do I need to become a Navy ME?

To become a Navy ME, you must meet the basic eligibility criteria for joining the Navy, including being a US citizen, having a high school diploma, and passing a physical fitness test. Additionally, you must have a strong aptitude for mechanics and electronics.

2. What is the training process like for Navy MEs?

The training process for Navy MEs is rigorous and comprehensive. It includes basic training, specialized mechanical and technical training, and on-the-job training. This process can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months depending on your level of experience and job assignment.

3. What types of tasks and responsibilities do Navy MEs have?

Navy MEs are responsible for maintaining and repairing mechanical and electrical systems onboard Navy ships and submarines. This can include everything from fixing engines and propulsion systems to troubleshooting and repairing complex electronic equipment. They also assist with the operation and maintenance of weapons systems and other critical equipment.

4. What career opportunities are available for Navy MEs?

Navy MEs have a variety of career opportunities within the Navy. They can continue to advance in rank and responsibility, eventually becoming senior enlisted leaders or officers. They can also pursue specialized training and certifications in specific areas such as welding, hydraulics, or electronics. Additionally, many Navy MEs go on to work in civilian careers in engineering and other technical fields after their service in the Navy.

5. What are the benefits of being a Navy ME?

Being a Navy ME offers many benefits, including competitive salary and benefits, opportunities for advancement and specialized training, and the chance to travel and work in different locations around the world. Navy MEs also have access to educational opportunities and resources to continue their personal and professional development.