Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings .... Bland Theorem 3.3.16 .... ....

In summary, Bland's Third Isomorphism Theorem for rings states that there exists a well-defined ring epimorphism with kernel I_1 \cap I_2.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "The Basics of Abstract Algebra" by Paul E. Bland ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 3: Sets with Two Binary Operations: Rings ... ...

I need help with Bland's proof of the Third Isomorphism Theorem for rings ...

Bland's Third Isomorphism Theorem for rings and its proof read as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7973
In the above proof by Bland we read the following:

" ... ... The mapping \(\displaystyle f \ : \ I_1 \rightarrow ( I_1 + I_2 ) / I_2\) given by \(\displaystyle f(x) = x + I_2\) is a well-defined ring epimorphism with kernel \(\displaystyle I_1 \cap I_2\). ... ... "I cannot see how \(\displaystyle f\) can be an epimorphism as it does not seem to be onto \(\displaystyle ( I_1 + I_2 ) / I_2\) ... ...

My reasoning (which I strongly suspect is faulty) is as follows:... ... The domain of \(\displaystyle f\) is \(\displaystyle I_1\), so \(\displaystyle x \in I_1\) ...

Now there exists elements \(\displaystyle y \in I_1 + I_2\) such that \(\displaystyle y \in I_2 \ \ ( y = 0 + y \text{ where } 0 \in I_1, y \in I_2) \)

For such \(\displaystyle y\) there is a coset in \(\displaystyle ( I_1 + I_2 ) / I_2\) of the form \(\displaystyle y + I_2\) that is not in the range of \(\displaystyle f\) ...

... so \(\displaystyle f\) is not an epimorphism ...
It seems certain to me that my reasoning is wrong somewhere ... can someone please point out the error(s) in my analysis above ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Peter.

Peter said:
I cannot see how \(\displaystyle f\) can be an epimorphism as it does not seem to be onto \(\displaystyle ( I_1 + I_2 ) / I_2\) ... ...

My reasoning (which I strongly suspect is faulty) is as follows:

... ... The domain of \(\displaystyle f\) is \(\displaystyle I_1\), so \(\displaystyle x \in I_1\) ...

Now there exists elements \(\displaystyle y \in I_1 + I_2\) such that \(\displaystyle y \in I_2 \ \ ( y = 0 + y \text{ where } 0 \in I_1, y \in I_2) \)

For such \(\displaystyle y\) there is a coset in \(\displaystyle ( I_1 + I_2 ) / I_2\) of the form \(\displaystyle y + I_2\) that is not in the range of \(\displaystyle f\) ...

... so \(\displaystyle f\) is not an epimorphism ...

Recall that ideals are (sub)rings and thus have an additive group structure. In particular, $y+I_{2}=I_{2}$ for all $y\in I_{2}.$ Hence, $f$ is onto because for any $y\in I_{2}$, $x+y+I_{2}=x+I_{2}$.

GJA said:
Hi, Peter.
Recall that ideals are (sub)rings and thus have an additive group structure. In particular, $y+I_{2}=I_{2}$ for all $y\in I_{2}.$ Hence, $f$ is onto because for any $y\in I_{2}$, $x+y+I_{2}=x+I_{2}$.
Thanks GJA ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

There is a drawing I like very much and which helps remembering the statement of the theorem (it may also help understanding the proof):

\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (0,0) rectangle (6,6);
\draw (2,0) -- (2,6);
\draw (0,2) -- (6,2);
\draw (1,1) node {$I_1\cap I_2$};
\draw (1,5) node {$I_1$};
\draw (5,1) node {$I_2$};
\draw (5,5) node {$I_1+I_2$};
\end{tikzpicture}

Basically, the theorem states that what the drawing suggests is actually true;).

You may enjoy making a similar drawing for the second isomorphism theorem. (By the way, many books interchange the numbers of these two theorems).

What is the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

The Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings, also known as Bland Theorem 3.3.16, states that if R is a ring and A, B are ideals of R with A ⊆ B, then (R/A)/(B/A) is isomorphic to R/B.

What does the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings tell us?

The Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings tells us that there is a relationship between the quotient rings (R/A) and (R/B), where the quotient of the quotient ring (R/A) by the ideal (B/A) is isomorphic to the quotient ring (R/B).

How is the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings different from the First and Second Isomorphism Theorems?

The First and Second Isomorphism Theorems also deal with relationships between quotient rings, but they have different conditions and implications. The First Isomorphism Theorem states that if f: R → S is a ring homomorphism, then the kernel of f is an ideal of R and the image of f is isomorphic to the quotient ring R/ker(f). The Second Isomorphism Theorem states that if S is a subring of R and I is an ideal of R, then S ∩ I is an ideal of S and the quotient ring (S + I)/I is isomorphic to S/(S ∩ I). In contrast, the Third Isomorphism Theorem deals specifically with the relationship between two quotient rings of a ring R, with one being a quotient of the other.

How is the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings used in mathematics?

The Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings is used in abstract algebra and other areas of mathematics to prove relationships between quotient rings and to simplify computations involving rings and ideals. It is also used in the study of modules and vector spaces, which have similar properties to rings and ideals.

Are there any extensions or variations of the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

Yes, there are several extensions and variations of the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings, including the Fourth Isomorphism Theorem, which deals with the relationship between normal subgroups and quotient groups in group theory, and the Lattice Isomorphism Theorems, which extend the Third Isomorphism Theorem to lattices and partially ordered sets. These theorems have similar implications and uses as the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings, but in different mathematical settings.