Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings .... Bland Theorem 3.3.16

In summary, Bland's Third Isomorphism Theorem for rings states that the mapping f: I1 → (I1+I2)/I2 given by f(x) = x + I2 is a well-defined ring epimorphism with kernel I1 ∩ I2. This means that for any arbitrary element in (I1+I2)/I2, there exists an element in the range of f that maps to it. This proof is supported by the fact that an arbitrary element of (I1+I2)/I2 can be written as (a+b)+I2, which is equal to a+I2, making it part of the range of f. Therefore, f is an epimorphism and
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "The Basics of Abstract Algebra" by Paul E. Bland ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 3: Sets with Two Binary Operations: Rings ... ...

I need help with Bland's proof of the Third Isomorphism Theorem for rings ...

Bland's Third Isomorphism Theorem for rings and its proof read as follows:
Bland - Theorem 3.3.16 ... .png
In the above proof by Bland we read the following:

" ... ... The mapping ##f \ : \ I_1 \rightarrow ( I_1 + I_2 ) / I_2## given by ##f(x) = x + I_2## is a well-defined ring epimorphism with kernel ##I_1 \cap I_2##. ... ... "I cannot see how f can be an epimorphism as it does not seem to be onto ##( I_1 + I_2 ) / I_2## ... ...

My reasoning (which I strongly suspect is faulty) is as follows:... ... The domain of ##f## is ##I_1##, so ##x \in I_1## ...

Now there exists elements ##y \in I_1 + I_2## such that ##y \in I_2 \ \ ( y = 0 + y## where ##0 \in I_1, y \in I_2)##

For such y there is a coset in ##( I_1 + I_2 ) / I_2## of the form ##y + I_2## that is not in the range of ##f## ...

... so ##f## is not an epimorphism ...
It seems certain to me that my reasoning is wrong somewhere ... can someone please point out the error(s) in my analysis above ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bland - Theorem 3.3.16 ... .png
    Bland - Theorem 3.3.16 ... .png
    13 KB · Views: 898
Physics news on Phys.org
An arbitrary element of ##(I_1+I_2)/I_2## is ##(a+b)+I_2##, where ##a\in I_1,b\in I_2##.
But ##(a+b)+I_2## is equal to ##a+I_2## because
$$((a+b)+I_2) - (a+I_2) \triangleq ((a+b)-a)+I_2 = b+I_2=I_2=0_{(I_1+I_2)/I_2}$$
where the second last equality follows from the fact that ##b\in I_2##.
Therefore
$$(a+b)+I_2=a+I_2 = f(a)\in f(I_1)$$
so ##f## is epimorphic.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ...

Appreciate the help ...

Peter

1. What is the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

The Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings, also known as Bland Theorem 3.3.16, is a fundamental result in abstract algebra that states: if A, B, and C are rings such that A is a subring of B and B is a subring of C, then there exists a ring isomorphism between (C/A) and (B/A).

2. How is the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings different from the First and Second Isomorphism Theorems?

The First Isomorphism Theorem states that if f is a homomorphism from a ring A to a ring B, then the image of f is isomorphic to A/ker(f). The Second Isomorphism Theorem states that if A and B are subrings of a ring C, then (A+B)/A is isomorphic to B/(A ∩ B). The Third Isomorphism Theorem, on the other hand, deals specifically with the relationship between three nested subrings.

3. How is the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings useful in abstract algebra?

The Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings is useful in abstract algebra because it allows us to study the structure of a ring by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable subrings. This can help us understand the properties and behaviors of the larger ring in a simpler way.

4. Can the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings be extended to other algebraic structures?

Yes, the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings can be extended to other algebraic structures, such as groups and modules. However, the specific details and applications may differ slightly depending on the structure being studied.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

The Third Isomorphism Theorem for Rings has applications in various fields, including cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. It is also used in computer science for tasks such as data compression and error correction. Additionally, the theorem has implications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of symmetry and group theory.